1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion skydiver

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A skydiver deploys his parachute when he is 860 m. directly above his desired landing spot. He then falls through the air at a steady 5.8 m/s . There is a breeze blowing to the west at 2.0 m/s. At what angle with respect to vertical does he fall? By what distance will he miss his desired landing spot?

2. Relevant equations
    xf=xi+Vxi*t
    yf=yi+Vyi*t-1/2*g*t^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to find the angle by finding the tan^-1=71, and then 90-71=19
    However, I completely stucked with the second answer. I was going to find first t:
    0=860m+5.8m/s*t-1/2*9.8m/s^2*t^2
    and then xf=2.0m/s*t but apparently that's the wrong answer. I guess the mistake is somewhere in the equations...Please, can you help me out? Thank you so much!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

The parachutist is not really undergoing projectile motion - he is merely descending at constant speed.

When calculating his descent time, there is no reference to g (9.8) as his parachute eliminates it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook