Projectile Motion: Solving for Rocket's Clearance Distance

In summary, a rocket fired from ground level at an angle of 60.0° clears the top of a wall 11.0 m away in 2.14 seconds.
shawonna23
Projectile Motion Problem-Help Please ASAP!

A rocket is fired at a speed of 75.0 m/s from ground level, at an angle of 61.9° above the horizontal. The rocket is fired toward an 11.0 m high wall, which is located 25.5 m away. By how much does the rocket clear the top of the wall?

Physics news on Phys.org
Technically, it's not a rocket if there is no thrust! :-)

You might start off by telling what you've done so far.

Are we to assume that the "rocket" is not under any force except gravity? Normally a "rocket" has some force of its own and it is a "projectile" that does not.

Any way, Knowing the initial speed is 75.0 m/s at an angle of 61.9 degrees, you can calculate that the horizontal and vertical components are vx= 75 cos(61.9) and vy= 75 sin(61.9).

Now that you know the components of the initial velocity do you know formulas for the x and y components of position at time t? At what time will x be 25.5 m? At what that time, what is y?

Think in a xy coordinate system...

HallsofIvy said:
Now that you know the components of the initial velocity do you know formulas for the x and y components of position at time t? At what time will x be 25.5 m? At what that time, what is y?

i don't have this question, but i have a lot of projectile motion questions, and i need all the help i can get.

can i use x(t) = x(0) + VxT + 1/2at^2
so.. 25.5 = 0 + VxT + 1/2(a)T^2

k we know Vx=75 cos(61.9)
i just didnt calculated that yet.
we don't know (a) right? or is it -9.8m/s^2 due to gravity?
we don't know (t), but we can solve for (t) if we know (a)

Projectile motion it's just a mix of Free Fall and Constant Velocity Motion. This means for the Y-axis part it'll experience a constant acceleration of g, and for the X-axis part it will experience constant speed.

Cyclovenom said:
Projectile motion it's just a mix of Free Fall and Constant Velocity Motion. This means for the Y-axis part it'll experience a constant acceleration of g, and for the X-axis part it will experience constant speed.

ah i kinda get it now...

so.. 25.5 = 0 + VxT + 0
so solve for t right?

ok now for the y-part
y(t) = y(0) + VyT + 1/2at^2
25.5 = 0 + (75 sin(61.9))T + 1/2(-9.8)t^2
is there going to be two times for the y-axis part?

Whatupdoc said:
ah i kinda get it now...

so.. 25.5 = 0 + VxT + 0
so solve for t right?

ok now for the y-part
y(t) = y(0) + VyT + 1/2at^2
25.5 = 0 + (75 sin(61.9))T + 1/2(-9.8)t^2
is there going to be two times for the y-axis part?

Well, a particle is moving with constant speed in the x-axis with a time t and at the same time t is moving with constant acceleration in the y-axis.

In your frist equation you can find the time t when the particle is at x=25.5, just substitute that time t in your y equation to find the Y value the particle will be and minus the 11 meters of the wall and you will have what you're looking for.

do you see it?

Cyclovenom said:
Well, a particle is moving with constant speed in the x-axis with a time t and at the same time t is moving with constant acceleration in the y-axis.

In your frist equation you can find the time t when the particle is at x=25.5, just substitute that time t in your y equation to find the Y value the particle will be and minus the 11 meters of the wall and you will have what you're looking for.

do you see it?

yea i get it. thanks for the help.

A rocket is fired at a speed of 75.0m/s from ground level at an angle of 60.0° above the
horizontal. The rocket is fired toward an 11.0m high wall, which is located 27.0m away. By how much
does the rocket clear the top of the wall?
There are several ways to solve this problem. The questions ask about the height of the rocket when it
reaches the wall 27.0 m away. So we can solve for the time that it takes to travel horizontally to the wall and
then use that time to find the height of the rocket.
We need to calculate the x and y components of the initial velocity:
v0x = v0cos60.0° = (75.0m/s) cos60.0° = 37.5m/s
v0y = v0sin60.0° = (75.0m/s) sin60.0° = 65.0m/s.
To find the time of flight, we can use: x = x0 + v0xt + 1/2 ax t2 (assuming to = 0). Once we plug in our values,
we have 27.0m = 0 + (37.5 m/s)t + 0.
So t = (27.0 m)/(37.5 m/s) = 0.72 s.
To find the height at this point, we can use: y = y0 + v0yt + 1/2 at2.
So y = 0 + (65.0 m/s)(0.72 s) + 1/2 (-9.8 m/s2)(0.72 s)2 = 44.3 m.
The rocket clears the wall by 44m - 11m = 33m.

Related to Projectile Motion: Solving for Rocket's Clearance Distance

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is initially projected into the air at an angle and then moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity. This type of motion is commonly seen in sports such as basketball, soccer, and baseball.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is projected, the force of gravity, and air resistance. Other factors such as wind and air density can also have an impact on the motion of the object.

3. How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, specifically the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These equations take into account the initial velocity, angle of projection, and the acceleration due to gravity to determine the path of the projectile.

4. What is the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile is determined by the initial velocity and angle of projection. The highest point of the projectile's path is known as the apex or the peak. The maximum height can be calculated using the equation h = v2sin2θ/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and altering its path. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, reducing its speed and causing it to deviate from its original path. The impact of air resistance is more significant for objects with a larger surface area and can be reduced by increasing the object's mass or decreasing its speed.