Projectile Motion wind acceleration

In summary, the problem involves a pebble being accelerated over a horizontal xy plane by a moderate wind with a constant acceleration of (6i + 7j)m/s^2. The pebble starts with an initial velocity of (3i)m/s and after being displaced by 12.0 m parallel to the x axis, we are asked to find the magnitude and angle of its velocity. To solve this, we use the equation Vx^2 + Vy^2 = V^2 and tan-1(Vy/Vx) to find the answers. To find Vy, we use the time it
soul5

Homework Statement

A moderate wind accelerates a pebble over a horizontal xy plane with a constant acceleration a = (6i + 7j)m/s^2 . At time t = 0, the velocity is (3i)m/s . What are the (a) magnitude and (b) angle of its velocity when it has been displaced by 12.0 m parallel to the x axis?

i= acceleration in x component , j = acceleration in y component

The Attempt at a Solution

vx^2 = (3m/s)^2 + 2 (6m/s^2) (12m/s)

vx^2= 9m/s + 144m/s

vx = 12.36

I did that and got velocity wrong what do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're only half way home.

What's the Vy?

Just because it has no initial velocity in j doesn't mean that it isn't swept by the wind in the j direction.

LowlyPion said:
You're only half way home.

What's the Vy?

Just because it has no initial velocity in j doesn't mean that it isn't swept by the wind in the j direction.

So once I find Vy I use Vx^2 + Vy^2 = V^2?

soul5 said:
So once I find Vy I use Vx^2 + Vy^2 = V^2?

That would be the way to do it.

And tan-1(Vy/Vx) would give the angle to positive x.

how do I find vy?

Along Vx how long did it take to cover the 12m?

Use that time to determine Vy.

Vy = a*t

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a type of motion in which an object is launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity.

2. How does the wind affect projectile motion?

The wind can affect projectile motion by creating an external force that acts on the object, causing it to deviate from its original path. The direction and strength of the wind can also impact the distance and velocity of the object.

3. What is wind acceleration?

Wind acceleration refers to the change in velocity of an object due to the force of the wind. This can either increase or decrease the object's speed and alter its trajectory.

4. How does wind acceleration affect the range of a projectile?

Wind acceleration can affect the range of a projectile by either increasing or decreasing its distance traveled. A strong headwind will decrease the range, while a tailwind will increase it. Additionally, crosswinds can cause the projectile to deviate from its intended path and decrease its range.

5. How can the effects of wind acceleration be accounted for in projectile motion calculations?

To account for the effects of wind acceleration in projectile motion calculations, the velocity and direction of the wind must be taken into consideration. This can be done by using vector addition to determine the net velocity of the object, factoring in the wind velocity. Additionally, air resistance and drag force can also be taken into account for more accurate calculations.