Calculate Time Until Tree is Hit: 9m Away, 18m/s Velocity

In summary, the problem involves a ball being thrown horizontally towards a tree from a height of 1.5m and a distance of 9m. The velocity of the ball is 18 m/s and the goal is to find the time it takes to hit the tree, the height at which it hits the tree, and the velocity at that point. However, there are some uncertainties about the necessary formulas and calculations.
newtonsmac

Homework Statement

- ball is thrown with a horizontal velocity of 18 m/s directly toward a tree
- person who threw the ball is 1.5 m above the ground and 9 m away from the tree

looking for time it takes to hit the tree, what height the ball hits the tree at, and the balls velocity when it does so.

Homework Equations

Well, we know the velocity of x which is 18 m/s, the initial y velocity which is zero, the distance between the ball and the tree which is 9m and the initial height of the ball which 1.5m.

To find time there are many formulas but they all have (delta)d of y, but u don't have d2 so i can't find it using any of those. After getting time i can the formulas to find the others.

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea. No formulas that have what i need.

Do i need to first find the y final velocity using a different formula??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i would just use v=x/t to solve for time because there is no acceleration.

Thanks.

I forgot that vx stays constant.

What is the formula for calculating time until a tree is hit?

The formula for calculating time until a tree is hit is: time = distance / velocity

How do you determine the distance to the tree?

The distance to the tree can be determined by using a measuring tool such as a ruler or a measuring tape. Alternatively, it can also be estimated by using landmarks or objects of known distance.

What units should be used for distance and velocity in the calculation?

The units used for distance and velocity should be consistent with each other. For example, if distance is measured in meters, then velocity should be measured in meters per second (m/s).

Can this calculation be used for any object or does it only apply to trees?

This calculation can be used for any object as long as the distance and velocity are known. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the time it takes for an object to travel a certain distance.

How accurate is this calculation?

The accuracy of this calculation depends on the accuracy of the distance and velocity measurements. The more precise these measurements are, the more accurate the calculated time will be. Other factors such as air resistance and gravity may also affect the accuracy of the calculation.