Projectile Motion Calculations at t = 10 s

In summary, the object reaches its maximum height at 10 seconds into the flight. Its vertical displacement is 32.76 m, and its horizontal displacement is 9.81 m.
wolves5
At t = 0, an object is projected with a speed v0 = 35 m/s at an angle q0 = 20.6° above the horizontal. For parts a-g, calculate the requested quantities at t = 10 s into the flight. (Use 9.81 m/sec2 for g.)

a) The vertical acceleration of the object:
I got -9.8 m/s2

b) Its horizontal acceleration:
I got 0 m/s2 for this one.

c) Its vertical velocity:
I don't know how to start this. I thought it would be 35sin(20.6), but its not.

d) Its horizontal velocity:
vx = m/s *
I got 32.76 m/s for this one.

e) The angle to the horizontal at which the object is traveling (an angle above the horizontal should be reported as a positive number; an angle below the horizontal should be reported as a negative number). Please give your answer in degrees:
angle = °

For this one, I'm assuming you need the answer to c and d, but I only have d.

f) Its vertical displacement, from where it started:
g) Its horizontal displacement, from where it started:

For f and g, I think you use vf=vi + at, right?

h) At what time does the object reach its maximum height?

Physics news on Phys.org

wolves5 said:
At t = 0, an object is projected with a speed v0 = 35 m/s at an angle q0 = 20.6° above the horizontal. For parts a-g, calculate the requested quantities at t = 10 s into the flight. (Use 9.81 m/sec2 for g.)

a) The vertical acceleration of the object:
I got -9.8 m/s2

This is correct.

wolves5 said:
b) Its horizontal acceleration:
I got 0 m/s2 for this one.

Correct.

wolves5 said:
c) Its vertical velocity:
I don't know how to start this. I thought it would be 35sin(20.6), but its not.

35sin(20.6) is the initial vertical velocity (i.e. velocity at t=0), you want the velocity at t=10. So what equation relates final velocity, initial velocity acceleration and time?

wolves5 said:
d) Its horizontal velocity:
vx = m/s *
I got 32.76 m/s for this one.

This is correct. (assuming you did 35cos20.6, since I don't have a calculator to check that)

wolves5 said:
e) The angle to the horizontal at which the object is traveling (an angle above the horizontal should be reported as a positive number; an angle below the horizontal should be reported as a negative number). Please give your answer in degrees:
angle = °

When you get the vertical velocity at t=10, then you should see that the vertical and horizontal components at t=10 form a right angled triangle. You can use the tangent function to get the required angle.

You're almost correct for "C." You've got a solid start. 35sin(20.6) is its INITIAL vertical velocity. Once it begins traveling upwards, however, it begins to slow down. Use the equation [tex]v=at+v_{0}[/tex]. Use 35sin(20.6) as your v0 value, and take into account the acceleration due to gravity.

For f and g, use another kinematics equation, [tex]x=x_{0}+v_{0}t+\frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/tex].

For h, use that same equation, [tex] v=at+v_{0} [/tex]. Plug in the values of "a" and "v0" and go from there.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What are the key concepts of projectile physics?

The key concepts of projectile physics include initial velocity, angle of launch, gravity, and air resistance. These factors determine the path and motion of a projectile.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (V2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in projectile physics?

Horizontal motion refers to the motion of a projectile along the x-axis, while vertical motion refers to the motion along the y-axis. In projectile physics, these two components are independent of each other, meaning the horizontal motion does not affect the vertical motion and vice versa.

5. How does air resistance impact projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of a projectile. It can affect the speed, direction, and trajectory of a projectile, making it more difficult to predict its motion. However, for most basic projectile problems, the effect of air resistance is negligible and can be ignored.