Projectile Motion Problem: Find v_0y & v_0x

• Thread starter jnimagine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the problem involves a quarterback throwing a football to a receiver who is running at a constant velocity. The quarterback wants to throw the ball at a specific angle and have the receiver catch it at a specific time. To solve for the initial vertical and horizontal velocities of the ball, the distance between the two players and the total time the ball is in the air must be taken into account. By using the equations for velocity and considering the time the ball spends at its highest point, the initial vertical and horizontal velocities can be expressed in terms of the given variables.
jnimagine
I have a question about a projectile motion problem.

So the background info of this problems is that a quarterback is throwing a football to a receiver who's running with constant v_r and he's now D distance away from the quarterback. The quarterback thinks that it should be thrown at angle theta and the receiver must catch the ball at t_c. The ball is thrown and caught at the same height.

Now, I have to find v_0y in terms of t_c and g
I just thought it was vsintheta... how do you find it that way? Is it v = 1/2gt^2??
and the v_0x, I have to find in terms of D, t_c, and v_r...
I am totally lost here... please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether the receiver is approaching to or receding from the quarterback?

Lets break the problem up a bit.

First work out:

{1} How far away the receiver will be when the ball arrives at his location at time tc

{2} If the quarterback throws the ball at t=0 and its caught at tc what horizontal speed must it have to travel the distance worked out in {1} to get to the receiver at time tc.

rl.bhat said:
Whether the receiver is approaching to or receding from the quarterback?[/QUO

the receiver is receding from the quarterback.

H_man said:
Lets break the problem up a bit.

First work out:

{1} How far away the receiver will be when the ball arrives at his location at time tc

{2} If the quarterback throws the ball at t=0 and its caught at tc what horizontal speed must it have to travel the distance worked out in {1} to get to the receiver at time tc.

1) the receiver's distance would be d = v_rt_c??
2) v_0 = d / t_c?

i don't get how these help us find the component vectors of v_0...

The start point of the receiver is not entirely clear. But I understand that he does not start right next to the quarterback, that is, there is a distance D between them.

Therefore the ball must travel a horizontal distance x = D + V_r*tc

The horizontal velocity of the ball then must be x/tc.

Hint... if we assume that the two guys playing football are the same height then you should take the total time the ball is in the air (which is tc) and calculate how much vertical velocity you would have to throw a ball straight up with to have stay in the air (above the height of the footballers hands) for time tc.

Once you have this you can work out the angle as you will have Vy and Vx... (use tan(theta))

H_man said:
The start point of the receiver is not entirely clear. But I understand that he does not start right next to the quarterback, that is, there is a distance D between them.

Therefore the ball must travel a horizontal distance x = D + V_r*tc

The horizontal velocity of the ball then must be x/tc.

Hint... if we assume that the two guys playing football are the same height then you should take the total time the ball is in the air (which is tc) and calculate how much vertical velocity you would have to throw a ball straight up with to have stay in the air (above the height of the footballers hands) for time tc.

Once you have this you can work out the angle as you will have Vy and Vx... (use tan(theta))

so for v_x, in terms of D, t_c, and v_r, it would be
D + v_rt_c / t_c

for v_y...
do I use the equation, yt_c = v_1t_c +1/2at_c^2??
and then
v_y = yt_c - 1/2at_c^2?
but it says to express in terms of t_c and g. . . . . . . but I have y in the equation, referring to the height..

i'm so confused... T.T

Okay... so you need the answer expressed in terms of tc and g.

The ball is thrown up in the air and takes a time tc to return to the original height. At the heighest point of the balls trajectory the the vertical velocity will be zero and the time will be tc/2.

Therefore... using: Vv=Uv+at

0= Uv - 9.8*tc/2

Uv = 9.8*tc/2 (Uv being the initial vertical velocity)

The Ux (initial horizontal velocity) will be found by simply using.. Speed = distance/time

Ux = (D+Vr*tc)/tc (Vr being the velocity of the guy running for the ball).

I hope this helps, if not.. let me know.

H_man said:
Okay... so you need the answer expressed in terms of tc and g.

The ball is thrown up in the air and takes a time tc to return to the original height. At the heighest point of the balls trajectory the the vertical velocity will be zero and the time will be tc/2.

Therefore... using: Vv=Uv+at

0= Uv - 9.8*tc/2

Uv = 9.8*tc/2 (Uv being the initial vertical velocity)

The Ux (initial horizontal velocity) will be found by simply using.. Speed = distance/time

Ux = (D+Vr*tc)/tc (Vr being the velocity of the guy running for the ball).

I hope this helps, if not.. let me know.

ok now i understand how to get the horizontal velocity
but how would you do v_y??
you said to consider the velocity needed for the ball to stay up...
you don't know how far the ball goes up vertically... so how do you figure it out?

What I called Uy, you have called V_y.

When you throw an object up in the air, the more initial speed you give it the more time it will spend up in the air before it reaches its highest point.

We know in this case what the total time for the ball to be in the air is, that is the amount of time it takes to travel between the guy throwing and the guy catching. Half this time is the amount of time for the ball to reach maximum height. Think of the trajectory of an object being thrown.

I assume you are familiar with the expression:

V = U + at

where V is the final velocity, U is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

Well, midway in the trajectory of the ball we V=0 as it has reached its maximum height. We know what the acceleration is (g=-9.81) and we know what the time at this point is (half the total time).

To calculate the balls initial velocity we do not need to know how far it goes up, but we have enough information here to work that out though.

ok... so i found v_y to be 1/2gt and v_x to be D + v_rt/t
now... it says to find the speed v_0 with which the quarterback must throw the ball in terms of D, t_c, v_r, and g...
so i did sqaure root of ((1/2gt_c)^2 + (D+v_rt_c/t_c)^2)
and it says it's wrong...why??

to find v_0, weren't u just supposed to add the vectors together? either I'm totally misunderstanding the concept.. or this question's weird lol

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. This type of motion is characterized by a curved path due to the combination of the object's horizontal and vertical velocities.

2. How do I find the initial vertical and horizontal velocities (v0y and v0x) in a projectile motion problem?

The initial vertical and horizontal velocities can be found by using the equations v0y=v0sinθ and v0x=v0cosθ, where v0 is the initial velocity and θ is the launch angle.

3. What is the significance of finding v0y and v0x in a projectile motion problem?

Finding the initial vertical and horizontal velocities is important because they determine the trajectory and maximum height of the projectile. They also help in calculating the time of flight and the range of the projectile.

4. What are some common mistakes made when solving for v0y and v0x in a projectile motion problem?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert the launch angle from degrees to radians before plugging it into the equations. Another mistake is using the total initial velocity instead of the horizontal and vertical components.

5. How can I check if my calculated values for v0y and v0x are correct?

You can check your calculated values by using them to solve for the time of flight and the range of the projectile. The time of flight should be the same for both the vertical and horizontal components, and the range should be equal to the product of the total initial velocity and the time of flight.