Solving Projectile Motion: What Step Does Ball Hit First?

• Thread starter suspenc3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, a ball with a speed of 1.52m/s rolls horizontally off the top of a stairway with steps that are 1.52 cm high and 20.3 cm wide. To determine which step the ball hits first, one can use the formula nw = v/g x ROOT(2gnh), where n is the number of steps passed and w is the width of each step. After solving for n, one should round up to determine the step the ball hits first.
suspenc3
A ball rolls horizontally off the top of a stairway with a speed of 1.52m/s. The steps are 1.52 cm high, and 20.3 cm wide, which step does the ball hit first.

I don't really know where to start, I kept trying to use the formulas..but I would always end up with two unknowns.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
suspenc3 said:
A ball rolls horizontally off the top of a stairway with a speed of 1.52m/s. The steps are 1.52 cm high, and 20.3 cm wide, which step does the ball hit first.
I don't really know where to start, I kept trying to use the formulas..but I would always end up with two unknowns.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
The range of the ball is vT, where v = 1.52m/s and T is the duration: T = ROOT(2gnh)/g where h is the height of a step and n is the number of them passed. The range is also the sum of the widths of the steps passed, so:

nw = v/g x ROOT(2gnh)

where w = 20.3 x 10^-2.

Rearrange and solve for n, rounding down.

Sorry, I was counting steps 'across' when I said round down. You should round up for how many steps down the ball goes. Makes more sense.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space, under the influence of gravity, after being launched or thrown. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include initial velocity of the object, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. Air resistance can also play a role in altering the trajectory of the object.

3. How can I calculate the time of flight for a projectile?

The time of flight, or the time it takes for a projectile to reach its maximum height and then return to its starting point, can be calculated using the equation t = 2v*sin(theta)/g, where v is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What step does the ball hit first in projectile motion?

In projectile motion, the ball hits the ground first. This is because the vertical component of velocity decreases due to the force of gravity, while the horizontal component remains constant. Therefore, the ball will hit the ground at the same time as if it were dropped from the same height.

5. Can projectile motion be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, projectile motion can be applied in various real-life situations, such as throwing a ball, launching a rocket, or even kicking a soccer ball. Understanding the principles of projectile motion can help in predicting the trajectory and landing point of an object, which is important in sports, engineering, and other fields.