1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof about a group

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let G be an ableian group of order mn, where m and n are relativiely prime. If G has
    has an element of order m and an element of order n, G is cyclic.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    ok so we know there will be some element a that is in G such that
    [itex] a^m=e [/itex] where e is the identity element. It seems that this would be enough to prove that their is a sub group generated by a. and this sub group is cyclic. if I start with the element a
    all powers of a would need to be in their so it would be closed under the operation.
    I guess we know its a group already. Lets say we have some power of a like x where
    0<x<m we want to know if this has an inverse that is a power of a.
    we know [itex] a^m=e [/itex] so if we have some arbitrary power of a [itex] a^x [/itex]
    we want its inverse [itex] a^xa^p=e=a^{x+p}=a^m [/itex] so x+p=m so their is a cyclic subgroup
    generated by a, Now we know that if we have a cyclic group all of its subgroups are cyclic.
    I am slightly worried about the converse, is it always true if I have cyclic subgroup that the group is cyclic? But I guess i could just do the same argument with some element of the form
    [itex] b^n=e [/itex] and then look at all the possible group operations. I guess I could try to find the generator for G.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2013 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the order of ab?

4. Apr 8, 2013 #3
    mn, so I guess ab would be the generator of the group.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  5. Apr 9, 2013 #4

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you must argue that. Given its order and the size of the group, what's left?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted