Proving Induction: n∑(1/√n) > 2(√(n+1) -1)

In summary: Yes, that's true. That doesn't mean the inequality as originally posted is true, but I'll let you figure out where you went wrong.
johann1301

Homework Statement

Prove this by induction

n
∑(1/√n) > 2(√(n+1) -1)
i=1

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried for several hours, with no real progress. When i assume that it works for n=k, and then try to prove for n=k+1 i get 2(√(k+2)-1)... i don't know how to partition this expression... can someone point me in the right direction...

Physics news on Phys.org
johann1301 said:

Homework Statement

Prove this by induction

n
∑(1/√n) > 2(√(n+1) -1)
i=1

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried for several hours, with no real progress. When i assume that it works for n=k, and then try to prove for n=k+1 i get 2(√(k+2)-1)... i don't know how to partition this expression... can someone point me in the right direction...

Are you absolutely required to use induction? If not, there is a quick proof using elementary calculus (specifically, definite integration).

The task is part of the induction chapter in the textbook.

Are you sure that the left-hand side of the inequality is...

[itex] \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac 1{\sqrt {n}}[/itex], rather than [itex] \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac 1{\sqrt {k}}[/itex] ?

Mogarrr said:
Are you sure that the left-hand side of the inequality is...

[itex] \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac 1{\sqrt {n}}[/itex], rather than [itex] \sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac 1{\sqrt {k}}[/itex] ?

woops!, i can correct it...

m
∑(1/√n) > 2(√(n+1) -1)
n=1

Again, the problem for me lies in that i can't partition(divide into a sum) the expression on the right...

johann1301 said:
m
∑(1/√n) > 2(√(n+1) -1)
n=1

Um, what is m?

So sorry, I'm not so good at the different placements for the different sum-limits/-startpoints. I first introduced "k" when i assumed that the inequality actually was valid, and then i set n=k+1 and tried to prove it...

This should be right;
n
∑(1/√i) > 2(√(n+1) -1)
i=1

Mogarrr said:
Um, what is m?

forget m :)

I think you meant to write...

[itex] \sum_{n=1}^{m} \frac 1{\sqrt{n}} > \frac 2{\sqrt{m+1}} -1 [/itex].

If this is the case, here's a way to start the inductive step:

[itex]\sum_{n=1}^{m+1} \frac 1{\sqrt{n}} = ( \sum_{n=1}^{m} \frac 1{\sqrt{n}}) + \frac 1{\sqrt{m+1}} [/itex]

no, it is 2(√(n+1) -1) = 2√(n+1) -2

Let me know if you'd like more hints, but I'm pretty sure you can finish the problem from here ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
johann1301 said:
no, it is 2(√(n+1) -1) = 2√(n+1) -2

Oh... the right hand side is a product. Oops.

That's ok. The steps in the proof won't change much.

[itex]\sum_{n=1}^{m+1} \frac 1{\sqrt{n}} = ( \sum_{n=1}^{m} \frac 1{\sqrt{n}}) + \frac 1{\sqrt{m+1}} [/itex]
I already knew this, but how am i supposed to compare this result to the right side? the expression on the right side is impossible to write as a sum of any sort...? At least : 2√(m+2)...

Starting from the Left-hand side of the inequality you wish to prove (P(m+1)),

[itex] \sum_{n=1}^{m+1} \frac 1{\sqrt{n}} = \sum_{n=1}^{m} \frac 1{\sqrt{n}} + \frac 1{\sqrt{m+1}} [/itex].

Recall that you assumed P(m) to be true, that is

[itex] \sum_{n=1}^{m} \frac 1{\sqrt{n}} > 2 \cdot ((\sqrt{m+1}) -1) [/itex],

So recognizing this, you have...

[itex] \sum_{n=1}^{m+1} \frac 1{\sqrt{n}} = \sum_{n=1}^{m} \frac 1{\sqrt{n}} + \frac 1{\sqrt{m+1}} > 2 \cdot ((\sqrt{m+1}) -1) + \frac 1{\sqrt{m+1}} [/itex].

If i contract the right side i get: (2m +3 -2√(m+1))/√(m+1)

Don't see how this is going to help.. :)

dont i have to show that (2m +3 -2√(m+1))/√(m+1) can be written as 2(√(m+2) -1) to prove it...?

or maybe not since its an inequality...?

Last edited:
johann1301 said:
dont i have to show that (2m +3 -2√(m+1))/√(m+1) can be written as 2(√(m+2) -1) to prove it...?

or maybe not since its an inequality...?

If you plug in some numbers you'll see...

[itex]2 \cdot (\sqrt{m+1} - 1) + \frac 1{\sqrt{m+1}} \neq 2 \cdot (\sqrt {(m+1)+1} - 1) [/itex].

You're next step should be to show that...

[itex]2 \cdot (\sqrt{m+1} - 1) + \frac 1{\sqrt{m+1}} > 2 \cdot (\sqrt {(m+1)+1} - 1) [/itex].

johann1301 said:
I already knew this, but how am i supposed to compare this result to the right side? the expression on the right side is impossible to write as a sum of any sort...? At least : 2√(m+2)...

Your problem is to show that
[tex] 2 \sqrt{n+1}-2 + \frac{1}{\sqrt{n+1}} \geq 2 \sqrt{n+2} - 2,\\
\text{or}\\
\sqrt{n+2} - \sqrt{n+1} \leq \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{n+1}}[/tex]
If I were doing it I would write
[tex] \sqrt{n+2} = \sqrt{n+1} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{n+1} \right)^{1/2}[/tex]
and go on from there.

yes, i got 9/4 > 8/4! or 9>8 thanks!, now its just about proving the basecase and its finished?

johann1301 said:
yes, i got 9/4 > 8/4! or 9>8 thanks!, now its just about proving the basecase and its finished?

Which message are you responding to? Please use the "Quote" button, so that the discussion can be followed accurately.

Ray Vickson said:
Which message are you responding to? Please use the "Quote" button, so that the discussion can be followed accurately.

both of them :) the inequality that both of you posted implies that 9>8. Since this is true, the inequality you posted must be true ?

johann1301 said:
both of them :) the inequality that both of you posted implies that 9>8. Since this is true, the inequality you posted must be true ?

I have no idea what you are talking about; we need to know something for all n (or at least, for all n larger than, say, 2 or 3), so 8 and 9 have nothing to do with the problem.

johann1301 said:

We've invested a lot of time helping you out, so we would like to see you get the right answer. Could you post how you came to this conclusion?

Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
johann1301 said:

Your problem is to show that
\text{or}\\

This inequality implies that 9>8. And that is certainly true, therefore the inequality that you posted must be true.

\text{or}\\

if i multiply by √n+1 on both sides, i get..

√((n+2)(n+1)) - (n+1) < 1/2

√(n2+3n+2) < (1/2) + (n+1)

√(n2+3n+2) < n+(3/2)

n2+3n+2 < (n+(3/2))2

n2+3n+2 < n2+3n+(9/4)

2 < (9/4)

(8/4) < (9/4)

8 < 9

Mogarrr said:
We've invested a lot of time helping you out, so we would like to see you get the right answer. Could you post how you came to this conclusion?

You have been a great helper! Both of you have :) I believe I've learned some new tricks because of this :)

johann1301 said:
Ray Vickson said:
This inequality implies that 9>8. And that is certainly true, therefore the inequality that you posted must be true.
No, this is incorrect "logic". The fact that "A implies B" and "B is true" does NOT mean "A is true".

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
johann1301 said:
No, this is incorrect "logic". The fact that "A implies B" and "B is true" does NOT mean "A is true".

So how do you show that the inequality is true?

You know that
$$\sum_{k=1}^{n+1} \frac{1}{\sqrt k} > 2(\sqrt{n+1}-1) + \frac {1}{\sqrt{n+1}}.$$ Starting from there, you have to find a chain of true implications that eventually ends with
$$\sum_{k=1}^{n+1} \frac{1}{\sqrt k} > 2(\sqrt{n+2}-1).$$ A few posts back you said that you found
$$2(\sqrt{n+1}-1) + \frac {1}{\sqrt{n+1}} = \frac{2n+3-2\sqrt{n+1}}{\sqrt{n+1}}.$$ First, do a little algebra and show that this means
$$\sum_{k=1}^{n+1} \frac{1}{\sqrt k} > 2\left[\frac{n+\frac 32}{\sqrt{n+1}} - 1\right].$$ If you can now show that
$$2\left[\frac{n+\frac 32}{\sqrt{n+1}} - 1\right] > 2(\sqrt{n+2}-1),$$ you can use the transitive property of > to get the result you want. It's clear that this inequality holds if you can show that
$$\frac{n+\frac 32}{\sqrt{n+1}} > \sqrt{n+2}.$$ To prove this last inequality holds, you have to start with a statement that's undeniably true and go from there. What you can't do is start by assuming the inequality is true because that's what you're trying to prove.

What I suggest is that you start with
$$\sqrt{n+2} = \sqrt{n+2}\frac{\sqrt{n+1}}{\sqrt{n+1}}.$$ The goal is to use the rules of algebra to continue to manipulate the righthand side that so that's it's readily apparent that it's less than ##\frac{n+\frac 32}{\sqrt{n+1}}##.

You've already done most of the work. It's just putting everything in the right order to make a valid logical argument.

Likes 1 person
johann1301 said:
HallsofIvy said:
So how do you show that the inequality is true?

The argument you gave above can be made to work: start with the fact that 8 < 9 and work backwards (going through your steps in the opposite order).

Alternatively, use the fact that ##\sqrt{1+x} \leq 1 + x/2## for ##|x| < 1##, with strict inequality if ##x \neq 0##. You can see this in two ways:
Method (1) look at the graph of ##y = \sqrt{z}##; it lies below its tangent line through the point (1,1). The tangent line has slope 1/2, so we have ##\sqrt{z} \leq 1 + (1/2)(z-1)##, with equality at ##z = 1## and a strict inequality otherwise.
Method (2): ##1 +x \leq 1 + x + x^2/4 = (1 +\: x/2)^2##, so ##\sqrt{1+x} \leq 1 + (x/2).##

Anyway, we have
[tex] \sqrt{n+2} = \sqrt{n+1}\sqrt{\left(1+\frac{1}{n+1} \right)}\\
\leq \sqrt{n+1} \left( 1 + \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{n+1} \right) = \sqrt{n+1}
+ \frac{1}{2\sqrt{n+1}}[/tex]

Likes 1 person
I have to get back to this problem at a later point, have some other things i have to go through before next lectures! But thank you all so much for your help!

1. What is the purpose of proving induction?

The purpose of proving induction is to establish a general statement or rule that holds true for all cases within a given set. In the context of the equation n∑(1/√n) > 2(√(n+1) -1), proving induction would demonstrate that the inequality holds true for all values of n, not just a few specific cases.

2. How does induction work?

Induction is a mathematical proof technique that involves proving a statement for a base case, typically n = 1, and then showing that if the statement holds true for some value n, it also holds true for the next value, n + 1. This process is repeated until the statement is proven for all values within the given set.

3. What is the significance of the inequality n∑(1/√n) > 2(√(n+1) -1)?

The inequality n∑(1/√n) > 2(√(n+1) -1) is significant because it is a key component in many mathematical proofs and is often used to demonstrate the convergence of certain series. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

4. How do you prove induction for the given equation?

To prove induction for the equation n∑(1/√n) > 2(√(n+1) -1), you would first show that the statement is true for the base case, n = 1. Then, you would assume that the statement is true for some arbitrary value of n, and use this assumption to show that it is also true for n + 1. This process can be repeated indefinitely, proving the statement for all values of n.

5. Are there any limitations to using induction for proving mathematical statements?

While induction is a powerful proof technique, it does have some limitations. It can only be used to prove statements that hold true for an infinite number of cases, and it is not always effective for proving statements that involve real numbers or continuous functions. Additionally, it is important to carefully consider the base case and the inductive step to ensure that the argument is logically sound.