1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of a limit involving exponentials

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given [tex]k\in \mathbb{Z} \setminus \{ 0 \}[/tex], prove that [tex]\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{1}{N} \sum_{n=1}^N e^{2\pi i k n \alpha}=0[/tex], for all [tex]\alpha \in \mathbb{R} \setminus \mathbb{Q}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I had an idea, but I'm not sure how well it works. Even if it did, I'm not sure how to make it rigorous. Basically, my idea was to say that you work your way around the unit circle, and that whenever we come arbitrarily close to hitting the same point again, the sum (between the two points) gets arbitrarily close to zero. Am I on the right track?

Edit: Alternately, could we use some convergence theorem using counting measure? Also, the limit is supposed to be 0, not 1. I changed it in the code, but it isn't working.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This sounds like a reasonable line of attack.

Let's idealize for a bit (which may or may not help). For simplicity, let's fix a particular point, say, 1. What would happen if, after some number P of steps you really did return to 1?

(i.e. what if [itex]\alpha \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex], and [itex]k \alpha \notin \mathbb{Z}[/itex])

Can you prove the limit goes to zero in this special case?

You need to reload the image. Reloading the page might not do that, depending on your browser and its settings.

4. Oct 27, 2009 #3
    Ok, I proved it. Thanks a lot for the help.

(For the curious: You prove it for \alpha k rational. Then you pick r = p/q \in \Q s.t. |\alpha k - p/q | < \epsilon. You do a lot of clever approximation and you get that 1/N * the sum \le (2\epsilon+q)/N, which goes to 0 as N goes to infinity.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook