Proof of a limit involving exponentials

In summary, the homework statement says that if you go around the unit circle, the sum of the two points gets close to zero.
phreak

Homework Statement

Given [tex]k\in \mathbb{Z} \setminus \{ 0 \}[/tex], prove that [tex]\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{1}{N} \sum_{n=1}^N e^{2\pi i k n \alpha}=0[/tex], for all [tex]\alpha \in \mathbb{R} \setminus \mathbb{Q}[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I had an idea, but I'm not sure how well it works. Even if it did, I'm not sure how to make it rigorous. Basically, my idea was to say that you work your way around the unit circle, and that whenever we come arbitrarily close to hitting the same point again, the sum (between the two points) gets arbitrarily close to zero. Am I on the right track?

Edit: Alternately, could we use some convergence theorem using counting measure? Also, the limit is supposed to be 0, not 1. I changed it in the code, but it isn't working.

Physics news on Phys.org
phreak said:
we come arbitrarily close to hitting the same point again, the sum (between the two points) gets arbitrarily close to zero. Am I on the right track?
This sounds like a reasonable line of attack.

Let's idealize for a bit (which may or may not help). For simplicity, let's fix a particular point, say, 1. What would happen if, after some number P of steps you really did return to 1?

(i.e. what if [itex]\alpha \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex], and [itex]k \alpha \notin \mathbb{Z}[/itex])

Can you prove the limit goes to zero in this special case?

Also, the limit is supposed to be 0, not 1. I changed it in the code, but it isn't working.
You need to reload the image. Reloading the page might not do that, depending on your browser and its settings.

Ok, I proved it. Thanks a lot for the help.

(For the curious: You prove it for \alpha k rational. Then you pick r = p/q \in \Q s.t. |\alpha k - p/q | < \epsilon. You do a lot of clever approximation and you get that 1/N * the sum \le (2\epsilon+q)/N, which goes to 0 as N goes to infinity.)

1. What is the definition of a limit involving exponentials?

A limit involving exponentials is defined as the value that a function approaches as the input (usually denoted by x) approaches a certain value (usually denoted by a). It is denoted by the symbol lim f(x) as x approaches a.

2. How do you prove a limit involving exponentials using the epsilon-delta definition?

To prove a limit involving exponentials using the epsilon-delta definition, you need to show that for every epsilon (a small positive number), there exists a delta (a small positive number) such that if the distance between x and a is less than delta, then the distance between f(x) and the limit L is less than epsilon. This can be achieved by manipulating the given limit expression algebraically and choosing a suitable value for delta based on the value of epsilon.

3. Can the Squeeze Theorem be used to prove limits involving exponentials?

Yes, the Squeeze Theorem can be used to prove limits involving exponentials. This theorem states that if two functions g(x) and h(x) "squeeze" a third function f(x) between them, and the limit of g(x) and h(x) is equal to a common value L, then f(x) must also have a limit of L. This can be applied to limits involving exponentials by finding two functions that are both less than or greater than the given limit expression and have a limit of L.

4. Are there any special techniques for proving limits involving exponential functions?

Yes, there are a few special techniques that can be used to prove limits involving exponential functions. These include using logarithmic properties and the change of base formula, rewriting exponential functions as a power of e, and using L'Hopital's rule for indeterminate forms.

5. What are common mistakes to avoid when proving limits involving exponentials?

Common mistakes to avoid when proving limits involving exponentials include forgetting to consider the limit as x approaches both positive and negative infinity, incorrectly manipulating the limit expression algebraically, and not checking if the given limit expression is an indeterminate form. It is also important to carefully choose the value for delta when using the epsilon-delta definition and to clearly state all the steps in the proof.