Proving Divisibility: Solving ##1900^{1990} - 1## with the Power Rule

In summary, it is asked to prove that ##1900^{1990} - 1## is divisible by 1991. The first step taken was to attempt factorization, but it is difficult to see how to proceed. It might be possible to factorize down to ##(19*100)^{1990} - 1##, but this seems irrelevant. It is suggested to try setting x = -1900. However, it is possible that there may be an error in the problem and it was meant to be divisible by 1901 instead.
IDValour

Homework Statement

Prove that ##1900^{1990} - 1## is divisible by ##1991##

Homework Equations

##x^n - 1 = (x - 1)(x^{n-1} + x^{n-2} + ... + 1)##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Quite naturally the first step I took was to attempt the factorisation and see what that got me:

##1900^{1990} - 1 = (1900 - 1)(1900^{1989} + 1900^{1988} + ... + 1)##

And from here I somewhat fail to see where to go forward.

##1899## is not divisible by ##1991## so do I need to work on the second part? If so I am having trouble seeing how to resolve it. It does seems possible to factorise the problem down to ##(19*100)^{1990} - 1## but then again this seems highly irrelevant.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try x = -1900.

Edit: Sorry, I read divisible by 1901.

To be honest with you, I'm beginning to think that there may have been an error and that the question was intended to read as divisible by 1901 instead of 1991. Either that or with the 1990 and 1900 swapped.

This might not be an unreasonable assumption. Had 1991 been a prime number you might have been able to apply Fermat's little theorem, but alas 1991 = 11*181 ...

1. How does the Power Rule help in proving divisibility?

The Power Rule, also known as the Law of Exponents, states that when raising a number to a power, the result is the same as multiplying the base by itself the number of times indicated by the exponent. This rule allows us to easily manipulate large numbers and simplify them when solving for divisibility.

2. Can you explain the steps involved in solving ##1900^{1990} - 1## using the Power Rule?

To solve this equation using the Power Rule, we first rewrite it as ##(1900^{1990})^1 - 1^1##. Then, using the Law of Exponents, we can simplify this to ##1900^{1990+1} - 1##. Finally, we can rewrite this as ##1900^{1991} - 1##, making it easier to prove divisibility.

3. How does this equation relate to the concept of divisibility?

This equation is closely related to the concept of divisibility because it allows us to manipulate large numbers and simplify them in order to prove whether they are divisible by a certain number. In this case, we are using the Power Rule to simplify ##1900^{1990} - 1## in order to prove its divisibility by 9.

4. Is there a general rule for using the Power Rule in proving divisibility?

Yes, there is a general rule for using the Power Rule in proving divisibility. When dealing with a number raised to a power, we can use the Law of Exponents to rewrite it as a simpler expression, making it easier to determine its divisibility by a specific number.

5. Can this method be applied to other numbers and powers?

Yes, this method can be applied to other numbers and powers. The Power Rule is a useful tool in manipulating and simplifying large numbers, making it a valuable technique in proving divisibility for various numbers and powers.