Proof of Parametrized Functions

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation using the hint and found that they were still confused. They plugged the equation into another hint that gave them the slope and then integrated it. They then tried to solve for the sine and cosine using the hints and found that they were still confused. They then calculated the sine and cosine using the long way and got the same answer.
H2instinct

Homework Statement

29kwcxd.jpg

Homework Equations

The hint.

The Attempt at a Solution

So using the hint I took the derivative of each of the parametrized functions.

[tex]\frac{dx}{d\theta} = -3sin(\theta)*cos^{2}(\theta)*a[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{d\theta} = 3cos(\theta)*sin^{2}(\theta)*a[/tex]

Then I plugged them into this:

[tex]ds = \sqrt{dx^{2}+dy^{2}}d\theta[/tex]

Giving:

[tex]ds = 3*\left|a*sin(\theta)*cos(\theta)\right|d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\intds = \int3*\left|a*sin(\theta)*cos(\theta)\right|d\theta[/tex]

I know ds is infinitesimally small point on the original graph to measure slope, but I am still confused slightly about integrating both sides. Also assuming the absolute value goes away because sin and sos can only go from -1 to 1, so I took out the abs. value because I am assuming for positive number. Don't know if that's actually possible to do though.

[tex]s = \frac{-3*(cos(\theta))^{2}*a}{2}[/tex]This is where I need some pointing in the right direction.

Have been trying while waiting for some help:
Plugging into the other part of the hint:
[tex]ds = \sqrt{1 + \frac{-3sin(\theta)*cos^{2}(\theta)*a}{3cos(\theta)*sin^{2}(\theta)*a}}\left|-3sin(\theta)*cos^{2}(\theta)*a\right|[/tex]

Gives:
[tex]ds = 3*\left|a\right|(cos(\theta))^{2}*d\theta[/tex]

Tried integrating:
[tex]\intds = \int3*\left|a\right|(cos(\theta))^{2}d\theta[/tex]

Gives:
[tex]S = \frac{3*(sin(\theta)*cos(\theta)+\theta)*\left|a\right|}{2}[/tex]

Still not totally sure where to go with this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation:

[tex]ds = 3|a||\cos(\theta)\sin(\theta)| d\theta [/tex]

looks correct. You can't just ignore the absolute value signs. Since the curve traced when theta goes from 0 to 2pi and is symmetric, you can integrate from 0 to pi/2 and multiply by four. On that domain for theta the sine and cosine are positive and you can drop the absolute value signs. So calculate

[tex] 4\int_0^{\pi/2} 3|a||\cos(\theta)\sin(\theta)| d\theta[/tex]

and see if it works.

LCKurtz said:
Your equation:

[tex]ds = 3|a||\cos(\theta)\sin(\theta)| d\theta [/tex]

looks correct. You can't just ignore the absolute value signs. Since the curve traced when theta goes from 0 to 2pi and is symmetric, you can integrate from 0 to pi/2 and multiply by four. On that domain for theta the sine and cosine are positive and you can drop the absolute value signs. So calculate

[tex] 4\int_0^{\pi/2} 3|a||\cos(\theta)\sin(\theta)| d\theta[/tex]

and see if it works.

Yes it did work, thanks for the help, I will remember to change it to the [tex](0 , \frac{\pi}{2})[/tex] quadrant when it calls for abs. value.

Just remember that you can only use that shortcut when the curve is symmetric so that the total perimeter is 4 times the arc length in the first quadrant.

You might find it instructive to do it the long way so you learn how to handle the absolute values if you have to. Break the integral from 0 to 2pi up into four pieces, one for each quadrant. Then, for example, in the second quadrant where cosine is negative and sine is positive you would use

| cos(t) | = - cos(t)
| sin(t) | = sin(t)

to calculate the absolute values. Similarly for the other quadrants. Try it and see that you get the same answer.

Ah Ok, I am getting how you got the boundaries then. And right, it obviously wouldn't work for a parametrized function that is only in the 1st and 3rd quadrant, etc.

1. What is "Proof of Parametrized Functions"?

"Proof of Parametrized Functions" is a mathematical concept used in computer science and other fields to prove the correctness and functionality of parametrized functions. It involves showing that the function satisfies certain properties and conditions, often using logical reasoning and mathematical techniques.

2. Why is "Proof of Parametrized Functions" important?

Parametrized functions are commonly used in programming and other fields, so proving their correctness is crucial for ensuring that they function as intended. Additionally, proof of parametrized functions can help identify and prevent errors and bugs in software and other systems.

3. What are some common techniques used in "Proof of Parametrized Functions"?

Some common techniques used in proof of parametrized functions include induction, case analysis, and structural induction. These techniques involve breaking down the function into smaller parts and proving their correctness individually.

4. Are there any challenges in "Proof of Parametrized Functions"?

Yes, there can be challenges in proving the correctness of parametrized functions. One common challenge is dealing with complex or abstract functions, which may require more advanced mathematical techniques. Additionally, proving the correctness of recursive functions can also be challenging.

5. How can "Proof of Parametrized Functions" benefit other fields besides computer science?

Proof of parametrized functions can have applications in various fields, including mathematics, engineering, and physics. It can help ensure the correctness and reliability of algorithms and other systems, leading to better and more efficient solutions to real-world problems.