How is the Relativity Formula Proven for an Electron in an Electric Field?

In summary: The answer is ##1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2} = \frac{c^2}{c^2 + A^2t^2}##.That's it, isn't it? Apart from changing the format of the expresson. The answer is ##1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2} = \frac{c^2}{c^2 + A^2t^2}##.In summary, the conversation discusses the function v(t) as a possible expression of speed as a function of time and verifies that it satisfies a given equation through differentiation and substitution. The conversation also includes a step-by-step demonstration of the simplification of the expression 1
Samkiwi
Homework Statement
I'm having trouble finding the proof of the relativistic acceleration formula starting from the velocity formula, I've been working on it for a long time but I can't solve this question. :)
Relevant Equations
electromagnetism and relativity
It is an electron initially pushed by the action of the electric field. The vectors of force and velocity are parallel to each other.

Here's the questionA possible expression of speed as a function of time is the following:

$$v(t) = \frac{At}{\sqrt{1 + (\frac{At}{c})^2}}$$where is it $$A =\frac{qE}{m}$$
Taking into account that [2] can be written in the equivalent form.
$$\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{qE}{m}(1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}})^{-\frac{3}{2}}[3]$$
verify by deriving and substituting that the function v (t) defined by [2] satisfies [3]

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get when you differentiate ##v(t)##?

i get this

$$\frac{dv}{dt}=(1+(\frac{At}{c})^{2})^{-\frac{3}{2}}(\frac{At}{c})^2$$

Samkiwi said:
i get this

$$\frac{dv}{dt}=(1+(\frac{At}{c})^{2})^{-\frac{3}{2}}(\frac{At}{c})^2$$
You need to use the product rule. I'm not sure how you got that. As a first step you should have something like:
$$\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{A}{\sqrt{1 + (\frac{At}{c})^2}} + \dots$$

• Informative
Likes Samkiwi
and i know that

$$A=\frac{qE}{m}$$
and
$$At=\frac{qE}{m}t$$

$$F=maϒ^3$$

then

$$A=aϒ^3$$

yes yes I was wrong I considered t a constant, when in reality it is a variable
PeroK said:
You need to use the product rule. I'm not sure how you got that. As a first step you should have something like:
yes yes I was wrong I considered t a constant, when in reality it is a variable

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
I obtain this

$$\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{Ac^{3}}{(c^{2}+A^{2}t^{2})\sqrt{c^{2}+A^{2}t^{2}}}$$

and now?o_O:rolleyes:

Samkiwi said:
I obtain this

$$\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{Ac^{3}}{(c^{2}+A^{2}t^{2})\sqrt{c^{2}+A^{2}t^{2}}}$$

and now?o_O:rolleyes:
That's correct, although you've changed the format of the term ##1 + (\frac{At}{c})^2## to ##c^2 + (At)^2##.

You can simplify what you have to the correct answer. But, it's not good technique to change things that start in the format required for the final answer to something else that looks different.

• Informative
Likes Samkiwi
okay, now I try, anyway thank you very much yes it was very useful I don't know how to thank you
PeroK said:
That's correct, although you've changed the format of the term ##1 + (\frac{At}{c})^2## to ##c^2 + (At)^2##.

You can simplify what you have to the correct answer. But, it's not good technique to change things that start in the format required for the final answer to something else that looks different. :bow:

Samkiwi said:
okay, now I try, anyway thank you very much yes it was very useful I don't know how to thank you
I see now there is a further step needed. What you should get, when you simplify that expresson is:
$$\frac{dv}{dt} = A(1 + (\frac{At}{c})^2)^{-\frac 3 2 }$$
And, what you are aiming for is: $$\frac{dv}{dt} = A(1 - (\frac{v}{c})^2)^{\frac 3 2 }$$
That means that you to show: $$\frac{1}{1 + (\frac{At}{c})^2} = 1 - (\frac{v}{c})^2$$

• Informative
Likes Samkiwi
PeroK said:
I see now there is a further step needed. What you should get, when you simplify that expresson is:
$$\frac{dv}{dt} = A(1 + (\frac{At}{c})^2)^{-\frac 3 2 }$$
And, what you are aiming for is: $$\frac{dv}{dt} = A(1 - (\frac{v}{c})^2)^{\frac 3 2 }$$
That means that you to show: $$\frac{1}{1 + (\frac{At}{c})^2} = 1 - (\frac{v}{c})^2$$
I didn't understand how I should demonstrate the last step

Samkiwi said:
I didn't understand how I should demonstrate the last step
It's a relatrively simple piece of algebra. Just calculate, using the expression you have for ##v##, the quantity: $$1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}$$

• Informative
Likes Samkiwi
PeroK said:
It's a relatrively simple piece of algebra. Just calculate, using the expression you have for ##v##, the quantity: $$1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}$$
I may sound silly, but would you explain each step please, sorry I'm nagging

Samkiwi said:
I may sound silly, but would you explain each step please, sorry I'm nagging
You have to make an effort yourself. The first step is easy, so I'll do that: $$v^2 = \frac{(At)^2}{1 + (\frac{At}{c})^2}$$

• Informative
Likes Samkiwi
PeroK said:
You have to make an effort yourself. The first step is easy, so I'll do that: $$v^2 = \frac{(At)^2}{1 + (\frac{At}{c})^2}$$
and after?

Samkiwi said:
and after?
That's up to you.

PeroK said:
That's up to you.
I'm not understanding anything anymore

differentiating I found this

$$\frac{dv}{dt}=A\frac{c^{6}}{(\sqrt{c^{2}+v^{2}})^{3}}$$

or this

$$\frac{dv}{dt}=Ac^{3}(1+\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}})^{-\frac{3}{2}}$$

If $$v^2 = \frac{(At)^2}{1 + (\frac{At}{c})^2}$$ then what is $$1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}$$?

PeroK said:
If $$v^2 = \frac{(At)^2}{1 + (\frac{At}{c})^2}$$ then what is $$1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}$$?
$$\frac{c^{2}}{c^{2}+A^{2}t^{2}}$$

and now?

That's it, isn't it? Apart from changing the format of the expresson.

Likes Samkiwi
PeroK said:
That's it, isn't it? Apart from changing the format of the expresson.
no, the form of the expression asking the question is this
$$\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{qE}{m}(1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}})^{-\frac{3}{2}}$$

Samkiwi said:
See post #10. Note that ##A = \frac{qE}{m}##.

Likes Samkiwi
Samkiwi said:
You should check this, as it should be $$\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{qE}{m}(1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}})^{\frac{3}{2}}$$
PS you can see that it must be this, as we need ##\frac{dv}{dt} \rightarrow 0## as ##v \rightarrow c##.

• Informative
Likes Samkiwi
PeroK said:
$$You should check this, as it should be $$\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{qE}{m}(1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}})^{\frac{3}{2}}$$
PS you can see that it must be this, as we need ##\frac{dv}{dt} \rightarrow 0## as ##v \rightarrow c##.
I was able to find this formula

$$\frac{dv}{dt}=A(1+\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}})^{-\frac{3}{2}}$$

the only problem is this part

$$(1+\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}})^{-\frac{3}{2}}$$

I tried what you said. but I don't solve anything like that.
i should make sure that.

$$(1+\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}})^{-\frac{3}{2}}=(1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}})^{\frac{3}{2}}$$

but how do I prove it?
if I substitute v for the initial formula, I get

$$\frac{\sqrt{(c^{2}+v^{2})^{3}}}{\sqrt{(c^{2}+2v^{2})^{3}}}$$

Last edited:
Samkiwi said:
I was able to find this formula

$$\frac{dv}{dt}=A(1+\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}})^{-\frac{3}{2}}$$
That can't be right. Just take the limit as ##v \rightarrow c##.

Instead, we got as far as this:

PeroK said:
You need to pick up from there.

• Informative
Likes Samkiwi
PeroK said:
That can't be right. Just take the limit as ##v \rightarrow c##.

Instead, we got as far as this:You need to pick up from there.
ok he succeeded, thanks a lot

1. What is the proof of the relativity formula?

The proof of the relativity formula, also known as the Lorentz transformation, is a mathematical derivation that shows how time, space, and mass are affected by the speed of an object. It is based on Einstein's theory of special relativity and is used to explain the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.

2. How is the relativity formula derived?

The relativity formula is derived using mathematical equations and principles, such as the Pythagorean theorem and the concept of time dilation. It involves manipulating the equations for time, distance, and mass to show how they change when an object is moving at a constant velocity.

3. Why is the relativity formula important?

The relativity formula is important because it helps us understand the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, which is crucial in fields such as astrophysics and particle physics. It also has practical applications, such as in the development of GPS technology.

4. Is the relativity formula proven?

Yes, the relativity formula has been proven through numerous experiments and observations, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment. It has also been confirmed by the success of various technologies, such as GPS, that rely on its principles.

5. Can the relativity formula be applied to everyday situations?

While the relativity formula is mainly used in the study of objects moving at high speeds, its principles can also be applied to everyday situations. For example, time dilation can occur in airplanes and GPS satellites, and the concept of mass-energy equivalence is used in nuclear power plants. However, the effects are usually too small to be noticeable in our daily lives.