1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that the number is Real

1. May 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    z1, z2 are complex numbers.
    If z1z2 =/= -1
    and |z1| = |z2| = 1

then number :
    z1 + z2
    ________
    1 + z1z2

is real.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    z1 = (a+bi), z2 = (c+di)

Should i use this extended form or is there a shorter path ? because it's pretty long.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Dank,

Pity there are no relevant equations available to you. If you want a shorter path you might need something to work with. One thing I can think of is that for any complex number ##\bf\alpha## the form ##\bf\alpha^*\alpha## is real number. But in this case the given ##|{\bf z}|## seems to point in the direction of another kind of notation than the one you propose

(he said, mysterically, because he didn't want to give it all away so easily:rolleyes:)

4. May 12, 2016 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does that signify you picked up the hint and found a fairly short path indeed ?

5. May 12, 2016 #4
    Ohh
    Sorry it was z1 + z2 and not z1 + z1, and also i marked * as multiplication in mistake and edited.

So if i take the absolute value of the fraction i get : |z1+z2| over |1+z1z2|
    , can't get much further here using the data

6. May 12, 2016 #5
    nope, since i had a typo and now it's fixed. so i bet the hints will change ;D

7. May 12, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That was clear. And the * in the denominator is indeed multiplication. The hints stay as they were.
    But going for absolute values isn't productive: basically you don't care about them if you want to show something has imaginary part zero.

So I'll repeat the nudge: |z| = 1 should inspire a different notation : ## {\bf z} = \alpha + i\beta## has two unknowns. The notation I mean has only one :smile:

8. May 12, 2016 #7

9. May 12, 2016 #8
    Ok i think ill try somthing and post here in few min

10. May 12, 2016 #9
    Taking the conjugate of all the fraction might yield something meaningful? but if i then multiply it with the fraction ill get a real number, but that doesn't show me why z is real still...

11. May 12, 2016 #10
    I'm afraid i need another hint,

12. May 12, 2016 #11

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You loose a few brownie points, but what the heck: what is the locus of points ##z_1## and ##z_2## in the complex plane ?

13. May 12, 2016 #12
    Locus? maybe there is a different name for it, i'm studying linear algebra 1. hmm vectors you mean? or circle unit?

14. May 12, 2016 #13

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Unit circle is the name. And yes, locus is the collection of positions ##z_i## can occupy in the complex plane.
    One way to pinpoint a complex number is by Re() and Im(), real and imaginary parts (your ##a## and ##b## ).
    Another way is with Abs() and Arg(), absolute value and angle . Since in this exercise ##Abs(z_i) = 1## that's what you want to adopt !

15. May 12, 2016 #14
    Can write z1 = 1(cosx+isinx), and z2 = 1(cosy+isiny), where r = 1?
    and then plug it in the fraction?

16. May 12, 2016 #15

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can indeed. A short form for ##\cos\phi + i\sin\phi## is also available (saves writing effort :smile:).

17. May 12, 2016 #16
    cosx + isinx + cosy + isiny over 1 +cos(x+y) + isin(x+y) +1

18. May 12, 2016 #17

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hehe, you reluctant to write $$
    e^{i\phi_1} + e^{i\phi_2}\over 1+e^{i\left ( \phi_1 +\phi_2\right )} $$ or something ?

Now: what's the road ahead if you want to show this fraction is a real number ?

19. May 12, 2016 #18
    Haven't learned using e at all yet, my first course in linear algebra 1.

20. May 12, 2016 #19
    well, i would want the imaginary part to be gone from the fraction

but sinx+siny =/= sin(x+y)i ;(

21. May 12, 2016 #20

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh, sorry. Well, in that case my respect that you got this far already !
    We proceed with sin and cos. What's the way to ensure/make the denominator is real (remember post # 2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted