Proof Using Def. of Groups and Def. of Subgroups

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the intersection of two subgroups H and K in a group G is also a subgroup of G. It is stated that if H and K satisfy the properties of a subgroup, then their intersection will also satisfy these properties. It is also noted that simply checking for the intersection of H and K is not enough, but it is important to consider what the intersection actually is. Lastly, the conversation provides a link to a website with a complete proof for Proposition 2.1.2, and offers to provide further help or clarification if needed.
wubie
Hello,

This is my question:

(i) Let H and K be subgroups of a group G. Prove that the intersection of H and K is also a subgroup of G.

(ii) Give an example, using suitable sugroups of the goup of integers with the operation addition, (Z,+), to show that if H and K are subgroups of a group G, then the union of U and K need not be a subgroup of G.

I figure that if I can do (i) then (ii) will follow. But I am unsure of how to do (i). (In previous assignments I did proofs on subsets, unions, intersections of sets but I did poorly on them.)

I posted a previous question stating the four properties of a set of which all must be satisfied to be defined as group. From my understanding of subgroups, only two of these properties must be satisfied to define a subgroup of a group.

Definition: A subgroup of a group G (G,o) is any nonempty subset H of G such that H is a group with the same operation, o. To check that H is a subgroup, verify the following:

S1: If x and y are elements of H, then x o y is an element of H.
s2: If x is an element of H, the the inverse is an element of H.

If H and K are subgroups then they must satisfy the aforementioned properties. And as a consequence if S1 and S2 are satisfied, and because H and K are elements of G, the remaining 2 properties that define a group are satisfied as well.

I also know that by definition, H intersects K iff some of the elements of K are also elements of H.

But I am unsure of where to go from here, much less construct a proof that proves that the intersection of H and K is also a subgroup of G.

(After typing this I think that I have some idea so I might be back later to submit more ideas/work regarding this question).

Any help to steer me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem is Proposition 2.1.2 at the following website. The complete proof is there, so you may want to only read a line at a time for a clue.

http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/dept/coursenotes/m225ril99/chapter2/chap2/node2.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tom. I might get back to you if I don't understand a step or few. Or for some clarification of some concept. That happens from time to time you know.

Thanks again.

I also know that by definition, H intersects K iff some of the elements of K are also elements of H.

But it's not just a matter of WHETHER they intersect but WHAT the intersection is.

To check that H is a subgroup, verify the following:

S1: If x and y are elements of H, then x o y is an element of H.
s2: If x is an element of H, the the inverse is an element of H.

Yes, exactly. Suppose x and y are members of H intersect K.
Then x and y are members of ____ and, since ____ is a subgroup, x+y is in ____.

Since x and y are members of H intersect K, they also are members of ___ which is a subgroup. Therefore, x+y is a member of _____.

Since x+y is in ___ and ___, it is in ___ intersect ___.

Fill in the blanks!:smile:

1. What is the definition of a group in mathematics?

A group is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and an operation that combines any two elements in the set to produce a third element in the set. This operation must be associative, have an identity element, and have an inverse element for each element in the set.

2. How is the definition of a subgroup related to the definition of a group?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that also satisfies the three conditions of a group: associativity, identity, and inverse. This means that a subgroup is a smaller group within a larger group, and it shares the same properties as the larger group.

3. Can you give an example of a subgroup within a group?

One example of a subgroup is the set of even integers within the group of integers under addition. The even integers still satisfy the three group conditions and are a subset of the larger group of integers.

4. How is the definition of a subgroup used in mathematical proofs?

The definition of a subgroup is used in mathematical proofs to show that a subset of a group satisfies the same properties as the larger group. This allows us to make conclusions about the subset based on what we know about the larger group.

5. Are there any other types of subgroups besides those defined in the group definition?

Yes, there are other types of subgroups, such as normal subgroups and cyclic subgroups. Normal subgroups have the property that, when combined with any element in the group, produce another element in the subgroup. Cyclic subgroups are generated by a single element of the group and contain all powers of that element. Both of these types of subgroups have their own unique properties and uses in mathematical proofs.