Proof Using General principle of math induction

You can't just stick in a 49/36 and say "this is equal to 1+1/4+1/9" -- it isn't. In summary, the goal is to prove that the sum of the first n terms of the series 1+1/4+1/9+...+1/n^2 is less than or equal to 2-1/n for every positive integer n. The proof must be done using mathematical induction and the base case has already been established. The next step is to show that if the inequality holds for some value k, it also holds for k+1 by manipulating the equation. Simply replacing k with k+1 will not suffice.
kolley

Homework Statement

prove that 1+1/4+1/9+...+1/n^2< or = 2-1/n for every positive integer n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

proved it was correct for n=1, then replaced the n with k, changed it to k+1 to get:

1/(k+1)^2 < or = 2-1/(k+1)

don't know how to proceed

Physics news on Phys.org
kolley said:

Homework Statement

prove that 1+1/4+1/9+...+1/n^2< or = 2-1/n for every positive integer n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

proved it was correct for n=1, then replaced the n with k, changed it to k+1 to get:

1/(k+1)^2 < or = 2-1/(k+1)

don't know how to proceed
Note: <= means "less than or equal to." You don't need to write < or =.
You're not supposed to show that 1/(k+1)^2 <= 2-1/(k+1). You need to show that 1+1/4+1/9+...+1/(k + 1)^2 <= 2 - 1/(k + 1).

Your induction hypothesis is 1+1/4+1/9+...+1/k^2 <= 2 - 1/k. How can you get from this statement to the one you want to prove?

Sorry, I left out part of mine. I had 49/36 +1/(k+1)^2 <= 2-1/(k+1)

since 1+1/4+1/9 is equal to 49/36, is this correct or am I still on the wrong track?

Your part where u show the base case is correct but u can't just replace k with k+1. otherwise it would be a tautology not a proof. you have to show you can get it into the form where 1+1/4+1/9+...+1/k+1/(k+1) <= 2 - 1/(k+1)

Here is a simple proof: Show by induction that

[tex]
1+2+3+...+n = \frac{n*(n+1)}{2}
for n = 1 1*(1+1) = \frac{2}{2} = 1. so this is true for the base case.
[/tex]

now using rules of algebra if we add to one side, we add to the other, so

[tex]
1+2+3+..+n+(n+1) = \frac{n*(n+1)}{2} + (n+1) = \frac{n^2+3n+2}{2} = \frac{(n+1)*(n+2)}{2}= \frac{(n+1)*((n+1)+1)}{2}
[/tex]

So by induction, we are done.

Last edited:
kolley said:
Sorry, I left out part of mine. I had 49/36 +1/(k+1)^2 <= 2-1/(k+1)

since 1+1/4+1/9 is equal to 49/36, is this correct or am I still on the wrong track?
You're still on the wrong track.

1+1/4+1/9+...+1/n^2 does not mean 1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/n^2. The ellipsis - the three dots -- means "continuing in the same fashion." IOW, it means 1 + 1/4 + 1/9 + 1/16 + 1/25 + ... and so on, up to 1/n^2 for whatever value n happens to be.

Related to Proof Using General principle of math induction

1. How does the general principle of mathematical induction work?

The general principle of mathematical induction is a method of proving statements about natural numbers. It involves two steps: the base case, where the statement is shown to be true for the first natural number, and the inductive step, where it is shown that if the statement is true for one natural number, then it must also be true for the next consecutive natural number. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all natural numbers.

2. Can the general principle of mathematical induction be used to prove any statement?

No, the general principle of mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that involve natural numbers. It cannot be used to prove statements involving real numbers, for example.

3. How is the general principle of mathematical induction different from other proof methods?

The general principle of mathematical induction is a specific type of proof method that is used specifically for proving statements about natural numbers. It is different from other proof methods because it relies on a specific structure and process, rather than using logical arguments or counterexamples.

4. What is the purpose of using the general principle of mathematical induction?

The purpose of using the general principle of mathematical induction is to prove statements about natural numbers in a systematic and efficient way. It provides a clear and structured approach for proving such statements, and is often used in mathematics and computer science to prove theorems and solve problems.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using the general principle of mathematical induction?

One common mistake when using the general principle of mathematical induction is assuming that the statement is true for all natural numbers without proving it for the base case. It is important to always start by proving the statement for the first natural number before moving on to the inductive step. Another mistake is assuming that the statement is true for all natural numbers based on a pattern observed in a few cases, without actually proving it for all natural numbers.