Proofs involving Catalan Numbers

In summary, The conversation discusses the need to prove two things about Catalan numbers: (1) Cn is odd if and only if n = (2^k)-1 for some positive integer k, and (2) given the matrix A defined by the rule a(i,j)=C(i+j), prove that det A=1. The speaker mentions that they have not covered determinants in their linear class yet and is seeking help and suggestions on how to approach these proofs. They also provide the definition of Catalan numbers and mention that they do not have a math writing program.
saubbie

Homework Statement

I need to prove two things about the Catalan numbers. The first is that Cn is odd iff n=(2^k)-1 for some positive integer k.

The second is that given the matrix A defined by the rule a(i,j)=C(i+j), prove that det A=1. I have not covered determinants in my linear class yet, so I do not have any idea what to do with this one.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming that both proceed by induction. The first one seems to be more direct, but I am really lost as to how to proceed with both. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by writing down the definition of Catalan numbers!

Sorry. The Catalan numbers are 1,1,2,5,14,42,... given by the formula Cn=(1/(n+1))*2n choose n. With 2n choose n equal to (2n)!/(n!n!). Sorry for the bad form, I don't have any math writing program.

That's
[tex]\frac{1}{n+1}\frac{(2n)!}{n!n!}[/tex]
Click on that to see the code. You don't need a "math writing program" on your own computer.

1. What are Catalan numbers?

Catalan numbers are a sequence of positive integers that have many applications in mathematics, particularly in combinatorics and number theory. They are named after Eugène Charles Catalan, a 19th century Belgian mathematician.

2. How are Catalan numbers calculated?

Catalan numbers can be calculated using a recursive formula or by using a closed-form formula involving factorials and binomial coefficients. They can also be represented geometrically as the number of ways to arrange a set of parentheses in a valid way.

3. What are some real-world applications of Catalan numbers?

Catalan numbers have been used to solve problems in various fields such as computer science, physics, and chemistry. Some examples include counting the number of ways to triangulate a polygon, solving certain problems in queueing theory, and determining the number of possible chemical compounds.

4. Are there any interesting properties of Catalan numbers?

Yes, there are many interesting properties of Catalan numbers. For example, the nth Catalan number is equal to the number of ways to arrange n + 1 non-intersecting chords in a circle. They also have connections to other important mathematical concepts such as the Fibonacci sequence and the golden ratio.

5. How are Catalan numbers related to the famous Tower of Hanoi puzzle?

The number of moves required to solve the Tower of Hanoi puzzle with n disks is equal to the nth Catalan number. This can be shown using a bijection between the moves of the puzzle and the possible arrangements of parentheses in a valid way.