What's wrong with my calculation here? (propagation of uncertainty)

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the propagation of uncertainty for an error analysis lab, specifically for measuring the value of gravitational acceleration with the help of a simple pendulum. The person is struggling with a high percentage error due to the large value of the partial derivative of gravitational acceleration with respect to time. They have attached a calculation table but it is difficult to understand without further explanation. The conversation then delves into a discussion about the standard deviations for the measurements of length and time, with the person eventually realizing their error in calculating the standard deviation of time. The expert provides guidance on how to properly calculate the standard deviation and mentions that the percentage uncertainty in T is only about 1%, not 20% as originally thought. Overall
Mrq

Homework Statement

I have to calculate the propagation of uncertainty for my error analysis lab but I am getting a percentage error of about 22-34 percent, just because the partial derivative of gravitational acceleration with respect to time has a large value. Could somebody please help? I have attached the calculation table with this thread.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• lab report.docx
    13.2 KB · Views: 140
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't understand the question. You should explain a lot more about what the problem is, what the data means, and what your calculations were.

Likes Mrq
Basically I am trying to calculate the uncertainty in g with the help of the standard deviations of "l" and "T", the experiment is about calculating the value of g with the help of a simple pendulum. These are the standard deviations
Standard deviation in l = 0.1
Standard deviation in 'T' = 0.2
I am trying to calculate the uncertainty propagated in g due to the deviations in the measurement of l and T using the formula.

7a7686692e58c0857185c50e2146a153449bade3

That's the general formula.
The partial derivatives of g with respect to time has the value -1638 while the partial derivative of g with respect to the length is 28.6. (-8pi^2*l/T^3 and 4pi^2/T^2 with l=33.5 cm and T=1.17s)
This is for the first measurement where the average length was 33.5 cm and the average time period was 1.17 seconds.
The value of g I got was 964 cm/s^2.
Now when I put the values of the partial derivatives and the standard deviations in the above formula I get a propagated deviation of about 387 cm/s^2 which indicates an error of about 33%.

Mrq said:

Homework Statement

I have to calculate the propagation of uncertainty for my error analysis lab but I am getting a percentage error of about 22-34 percent, just because the partial derivative of gravitational acceleration with respect to time has a large value. Could somebody please help? I have attached the calculation table with this thread.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Your attached document is completely incomprehensible. You need to explain what the quantities are that you are measuring, and the supposed theoretical relations between them. Are you measuring distance vs. time? Are you measuring velocity vs. time? Are you measuring velocity vs. distance? Are you measuring something else? You may know what the numbers mean, but nobody else in the world does.

Your answers look right if your standard deviations are what you say they are. An error of ca. 20% in T, with T2 in your formula, would give an error of roughly 40% in g. Are you sure of your standard deviation for T? What is your standard deviation for an individual measurement of t? How would you calculate the standard deviation of T from this?

Likes Mrq
Ray Vickson said:
Your attached document is completely incomprehensible. You need to explain what the quantities are that you are measuring, and the supposed theoretical relations between them. Are you measuring distance vs. time? Are you measuring velocity vs. time? Are you measuring velocity vs. distance? Are you measuring something else? You may know what the numbers mean, but nobody else in the world does.
I am really sorry about that. The experiment is actually "measuring g with the help of a simple pendulum". The table contains different measurements of length the pendulum and the time it took for ten vibrations, it's time period and the value of g which has been calculated using these parameters. The final column has the fractional propagated uncertainty in 'g'. It's actually the propagated deviation in the value of g.

mjc123 said:
Your answers look right if your standard deviations are what you say they are. An error of ca. 20% in T, with T2 in your formula, would give an error of roughly 40% in g. Are you sure of your standard deviation for T? What is your standard deviation for an individual measurement of t? How would you calculate the standard deviation of T from this?
The time measurements were 11.5, 11.7 and 11.9 respectively with 11.7 as the average. The standard deviation was 0.2.
I used this formula standard deviation of T, T= sqrt((11.9-11.7)^2+(11.5-11.7)^2+(11.7-11.7)^2)/sqrt(3-1)= 0.2
Sorry for not using LaTeX.

Mrq said:
The time measurements were 11.5, 11.7 and 11.9 respectively with 11.7 as the average. The standard deviation was 0.2.
I used this formula standard deviation of T, T= sqrt((11.9-11.7)^2+(11.5-11.7)^2+(11.7-11.7)^2)/sqrt(3-1)= 0.2

As a percentage, the standard deviation is ##100 \times 0.2 / 11.7 \approx 1.71 ##, so the (relative) uncertainty in ##T## is about 1.71%, not 20%.
The values of ##T^2## go from ##11.5^2 =132.25## to ##11.9^2 = 141.61##, with a "central" value of ##11.7^2 = 136.89##. The standard deviation of ##T^2## is nearly ##(141.61 - 132.25)/2 = 4.68##, so the (relative) uncertainty in ##T^2## is about ##100 \times 4.68/136.89 \approx 3.42##, so about 3.42%, not 40%.

Likes Mrq
Mrq said:
That's not how it's done. If the standard deviation of a single measurement of t is s, then the s.d. of tm, the mean of 3 measurements, is s/√3. The standard deviation of T = tm/10 is s/(10√3) = 0.0115, or about 1% of T.

Likes Mrq
mjc123 said:
That's not how it's done. If the standard deviation of a single measurement of t is s, then the s.d. of tm, the mean of 3 measurements, is s/√3. The standard deviation of T = tm/10 is s/(10√3) = 0.0115, or about 1% of T.
Thanks a lot!

1. What is "propagation of uncertainty"?

"Propagation of uncertainty" is a statistical method used to estimate the uncertainty in a calculated result based on the uncertainties of the input variables. It takes into account the potential errors or variations in the measured values and calculates the overall uncertainty in the final result.

2. Why is propagation of uncertainty important in scientific calculations?

Propagation of uncertainty is important because it provides a more accurate representation of the true uncertainty in a calculated result. It allows for a better understanding of the reliability and credibility of the result, and helps to identify which input variables have the greatest impact on the final outcome.

3. How is propagation of uncertainty calculated?

Propagation of uncertainty is typically calculated using the law of propagation of uncertainty, which is based on the partial derivatives of the calculated result with respect to each of the input variables. This method takes into account the uncertainties of the individual variables and their correlations to determine the overall uncertainty in the final result.

4. What are some common sources of uncertainty in scientific calculations?

Some common sources of uncertainty in scientific calculations include measurement errors, limitations of equipment or instruments, variations in environmental conditions, and assumptions made during the calculation process. It is important to identify and account for these sources of uncertainty in order to obtain accurate and reliable results.

5. How can I minimize uncertainty in my calculations?

To minimize uncertainty in calculations, it is important to use precise and accurate measurement techniques, calibrate equipment regularly, and carefully consider all sources of uncertainty. It may also be helpful to repeat calculations multiple times and compare results to ensure consistency and identify any potential errors or variations.