Properties of Hermitian operators in complex vector spaces

In summary, the problem is to show that B applied to the state |a> is equal to a constant times the state |a + λ>. This can be proven using the commutation relation.
MSUmath

Homework Statement

Given a Hermitian operator A = [itex]\sum \left|a\right\rangle a \left\langle a\right|[/itex] and B any operator (in general, not Hermitian) such that [itex]\left[A,B\right][/itex] = [itex]\lambda[/itex]B show that B[itex]\left|a\right\rangle[/itex] = const. [itex]\left|a\right\rangle[/itex]

Homework Equations

Basically those listed above plus possibly the Hermitian condition and eigenvalue definition which I will not list since they are well known.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried expanding it out in terms of the commutator, but this seems like the wrong approach. I am not sure that there is a way to calculate it directly. I do not think the proof is very involved but I am approaching it the wrong way and can't seem to get anywhere. This is listed as a fundamental property of a Hermitian operator in a complex vector space in my text, though it does not prove it and other references seem unconcerned. I am also not very comfortable using this kind of spectral decomposition, which is a bit of a problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
I should point out that the end of the above problem is to show that B[itex]\left|a\right\rangle[/itex] = const. [itex]\left|a +\lambda\right\rangle[/itex]

MSUmath said:

Homework Statement

Given a Hermitian operator A = [itex]\sum \left|a\right\rangle a \left\langle a\right|[/itex] and B any operator (in general, not Hermitian) such that [itex]\left[A,B\right][/itex] = [itex]\lambda[/itex]B show that B[itex]\left|a\right\rangle[/itex] = const. [itex]\left|a\right\rangle[/itex]
MSUmath said:
I should point out that the end of the above problem is to show that B[itex]\left|a\right\rangle[/itex] = const. [itex]\left|a +\lambda\right\rangle[/itex]
These two statements are inconsistent. In both cases, you're applying B to |a>, but you're getting different answers.

You can prove the second statement using the commutation relation.

They are inconsistent because the statement in the first post is incorrect. The correct relation to prove is the second.

The property described in the homework statement is a well-known and fundamental property of Hermitian operators in complex vector spaces. It is known as the eigenvalue-eigenvector property and is a result of the spectral decomposition of Hermitian operators.

To prove this property, we can start by using the definition of the commutator and expanding it out:

\left[A,B\right] = AB - BA = \sum \left|a\right\rangle a \left\langle a\right|B - B\sum \left|a\right\rangle a \left\langle a\right|

Next, we can use the fact that A is a Hermitian operator, meaning that A = A^\dagger, where A^\dagger is the Hermitian conjugate of A. This allows us to rewrite A as:

A = A^\dagger = \sum \left|a\right\rangle a^* \left\langle a\right|

where a^* denotes the complex conjugate of a. Substituting this into the commutator, we get:

\left[A,B\right] = \sum \left|a\right\rangle a^* \left\langle a\right|B - B\sum \left|a\right\rangle a \left\langle a\right|

= \sum \left|a\right\rangle \left(a^*B - Ba\right) \left\langle a\right|

Next, we can use the fact that \left[A,B\right] = \lambdaB to rewrite the commutator as:

\left|a\right\rangle \left(a^*B - Ba\right) \left\langle a\right| = \lambdaB\left|a\right\rangle \left\langle a\right|

Now, we can use the eigenvalue definition to write \lambdaB as \lambda\left|a\right\rangle \left\langle a\right|. This allows us to rewrite the commutator as:

\left|a\right\rangle \left(a^*B - Ba\right) \left\langle a\right| = \lambda\left|a\right\rangle \left\langle a\right|

Finally, we can rearrange this equation to get:

\left(a^*B - Ba\right) \left|a

1. What is a hermitian operator in a complex vector space?

A hermitian operator is a linear transformation on a complex vector space that satisfies the condition of being equal to its own conjugate transpose. In other words, if A is a hermitian operator, then A = A*, where A* is the conjugate transpose of A.

2. What are some properties of hermitian operators?

Some properties of hermitian operators include:

• All eigenvalues of a hermitian operator are real numbers.
  • Eigenvectors corresponding to distinct eigenvalues of a hermitian operator are orthogonal.
  • The sum and product of two hermitian operators is also a hermitian operator.

3. How are hermitian operators related to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, hermitian operators are used to represent physical observables, such as position, momentum, and energy. The eigenvalues of these operators correspond to the possible outcomes of a measurement, and the eigenvectors represent the states of the system.

4. Can a non-square matrix be a hermitian operator?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be a hermitian operator. In order for a matrix to be hermitian, it must be equal to its own conjugate transpose, which is only possible for square matrices.

5. How are hermitian operators different from unitary operators?

While hermitian operators are defined by their relationship with their conjugate transpose, unitary operators are defined by their relationship with their inverse. A hermitian operator is also unitary if and only if its eigenvalues have a magnitude of 1, but the converse is not necessarily true. Additionally, unitary operators preserve the norm of a vector, while hermitian operators do not necessarily do so.