Property of exponentials and sine functions?

In summary: So, r=2+/-sqrt(3)k=5In summary, the values of r and k in the given differential equation x''(t)+r*x't+kx=0 are r = 2 +/- sqrt(3) and k = 5. These values can be obtained by finding the roots of the characteristic equation and then using them to find the general solution. Dropping the coefficients in the given solution and converting sines and cosines to exponentials can also lead to the same values.
Unsilenced

Homework Statement

x''(t)+r*x't+kx=0

Suppose that for some initial conditions the solution is given by

x=e^(-2t)*(3cos(t)+4sin(t))

What are are and k?

Homework Equations

See above

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to "brute force" the solution simply by sticking the expression for x into the ODE, but that quickly becomes very complicated, and is easy to mess up. I can check my answers with wolfram alpha or some such, but it still will be difficult to pinpoint errors.

Instead, I've heard that the values 3 and 4 don't matter (presumably they are determined by initial conditions, not r and k), and that there is a (relatively) simple expression that will make it easy to get the derivative and double derivative of this expression. I assume Euler's formula is involved somehow, but don't know exactly how to work it so that I can turn the entire function into an exponential.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
3 and 4 do not matter. Work backwards. If the solution in this case involves sines and cosines then we can conclude that the roots to the auxiliary equation are complex. Find the roots and then the polynomial. You will then have your differential equation and hence the values of r and k.

lmedin02 said:
3 and 4 do not matter. Work backwards. If the solution in this case involves sines and cosines then we can conclude that the roots to the auxiliary equation are complex. Find the roots and then the polynomial. You will then have your differential equation and hence the values of r and k.

So, I dropped the 3 and the 4 and used Euler's formula to turn them into exponentials.

I ended up with

x=ie^((-2-i)t)-ie^((-2+i)t)

Does that mean my roots are -2 +/- i? Or do I have to go further?Edit: Working through, I got
k=5
r=-4

Seems like a legit answer, but was dropping the i values in front of the exponents a valid move, or should I have gotten something else for my roots?

Last edited:
No, that is a bit complicated. If you have the differential equation [tex]x''-4x'+x=0[/tex], how would you find the general solution? Just go through a few steps, then should have the solution to your problem as well. If not, I will give you another hint.

Unsilenced said:
So, I dropped the 3 and the 4 and used Euler's formula to turn them into exponentials.

I ended up with

x=ie^((-2-i)t)-ie^((-2+i)t)

Does that mean my roots are -2 +/- i? Or do I have to go further?
In your OP, the exponential part was ##e^{+2t}## while your work here implies it's ##e^{-2t}##. Which one is correct?

Dropping the 3 and 4 the way you did turns out to work okay to get the answer, but it would be better if you followed Imedin02's suggestion to see why it works out that way.

lmedin02 said:
No, that is a bit complicated. If you have the differential equation [tex]x''-4x'+x=0[/tex], how would you find the general solution? Just go through a few steps, then should have the solution to your problem as well. If not, I will give you another hint.

Characteristic equation: a^2-4a+1=0

Using the quadratic formula gets me a=2+/-sqrt(3)

x=C1e^(2+sqrt3)+C2e^(2-sqrt3)

Did I do something wrong?

vela said:
In your OP, the exponential part was ##e^{+2t}## while your work here implies it's ##e^{-2t}##. Which one is correct?

Dropping the 3 and 4 the way you did turns out to work okay to get the answer, but it would be better if you followed Imedin02's suggestion to see why it works out that way.

Um, negative would appear to be correct. Sorry.

That is correct, however, I made a typo in my DE. It should be [tex]x''-4x'+5x=0[/tex]. The idea is that you can find the characteristic equation from the DE, hence the roots, and then the general solution. So you may work backwards as well. Try it again.

lmedin02 said:
That is correct, however, I made a typo in my DE. It should be [tex]x''-4x'+5x=0[/tex]. The idea is that you can find the characteristic equation from the DE, hence the roots, and then the general solution. So you may work backwards as well. Try it again.

Ah, I found where the sign flip came in. Values are now 4 and 5, and the roots what they should be, assuming I had the correct roots to begin with.

1. What is the property of exponentials and sine functions?

The property of exponentials and sine functions is that they both involve powers and periodicity. In exponentials, the base is raised to a power, while in sine functions, the angle is multiplied by a coefficient. Both functions have a repeating pattern, but the period (or length of the pattern) is different for each.

2. How do you solve equations involving exponentials and sine functions?

To solve equations involving exponentials and sine functions, you must first isolate the function on one side of the equation. Then, you can take the logarithm of both sides to remove the exponential or use inverse trigonometric functions to remove the sine. After this, you can solve for the variable using algebraic methods.

3. What is the relationship between exponential and sine functions?

The relationship between exponential and sine functions is that they both have an inverse function. The inverse of an exponential function is a logarithmic function, while the inverse of a sine function is an inverse sine function (also known as arcsine function). Additionally, both functions have properties of growth and decay, with exponential functions growing or decaying exponentially and sine functions oscillating between a maximum and minimum value.

4. How are exponentials and sine functions used in real-life applications?

Exponentials and sine functions have many real-life applications. Exponential functions are often used to model population growth, radioactive decay, and investment growth. Sine functions are commonly seen in waves, such as sound waves and light waves, and can be used to model the motion of a pendulum or a spring. They are also used in engineering, physics, and other fields to analyze periodic phenomena.

5. What are some common mistakes when working with exponentials and sine functions?

Some common mistakes when working with exponentials and sine functions include not understanding the properties and rules of these functions, using the wrong formula or property, and not simplifying the equations properly. It is also important to pay attention to the units of measurement when working with real-life applications of these functions. Additionally, rounding errors and incorrect use of calculators can result in incorrect solutions.