Propositional Logic: Edit Protected Wikipedia Entry Only as Admin

In summary: So we have g only if (r∧¬m∧¬b) which translates to (r∧¬m∧¬b) -> gIn summary, the conversation discusses the logical expressions for the statement "You cannot edit a protected Wikipedia entry unless you are an administrator" and "You can graduate only if you have completed the requirements of your major and you do not owe money to the university and you do not have an overdue library book." The correct logical expressions for these statements are e→a and (r∧¬m∧¬b) -> g respectively. The confusion may arise from the use of "only if" which means the statements are reversed in logical expressions.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

You cannot edit a protected Wikipedia entry unless you
are an administrator. Express your answer in terms of e:
“You can edit a protected Wikipedia entry” and a:“You
are an administrator."

I thought the answer would be [itex]a\rightarrow\neg e[/itex]; but the actual answer is,
[itex]e\rightarrow a[/itex]. Why is that?

Physics news on Phys.org
"¬e" says "you can NOT edit a protected Wikipedia entry" so "a→¬e" says "if you are an administrator you can NOT edit a protected Wikipedia entry"- not at all what you want to say.

"You cannot edit a protected Wikipedia entry unless you are an administrator" is the same as "If you are not a Wikipedia administrator, you cannot edit a protected Wikipedia entry", ¬a→¬e and that is the same as e→a.

All right, I have yet another one:
You can graduate only if you have completed the requirements of your major and you do not owe money to the university and you do not have an overdue library book. Express your answer in terms of g: “You can graduate,” m: “You owe money to the university,” r: “You have com-pleted the requirements of your major,” and b:“You have an overdue library book.”

I wrote my answer to be [itex](r \wedge \neg m \wedge \neg b)\rightarrow g[/itex]

Yet, the answer key says the answer is the reverse. I don't really understand.

Does anyone have any input?

What do you mean the reverse?

g → (r∧¬m∧¬b) like this. Sorry, I can see how that would be confusing.

It may help to remember that "only if" is not the same as "if". P only if Q means P->Q but P if Q means Q->P. (I *think*)

Bashyboy said:
g → (r∧¬m∧¬b) like this. Sorry, I can see how that would be confusing.

That one is tricky. The clue is "only if." a only if b translates as b->a. Your answer could be a true statement, but they weren't looking for a true statement, they were looking for a literal translation.

ImaLooser said:
That one is tricky. The clue is "only if." a only if b translates as b->a. Your answer could be a true statement, but they weren't looking for a true statement, they were looking for a literal translation.

Did you mean that a only if b translates to a->b?

sammycaps said:
Did you mean that a only if b translates to a->b?

Whoops! You are right. That's what 17 years after grad school will do.

1. What is propositional logic?

Propositional logic is a type of formal logic that deals with propositions or statements, and the logical relationships between them. It is a fundamental branch of logic that is used in many fields, including mathematics, philosophy, and computer science.

2. What does it mean to edit a protected Wikipedia entry?

A protected Wikipedia entry is a page that can only be edited by certain users, typically administrators or users with certain permissions. This is done to prevent vandalism and maintain the accuracy and integrity of the information on the page. To edit a protected Wikipedia entry, one must have the necessary permissions granted by the site.

3. How can I become an administrator on Wikipedia?

To become an administrator on Wikipedia, one must first be an established user with a good track record of editing and following Wikipedia's policies and guidelines. Then, they can submit a request for adminship, which involves answering a series of questions and receiving support from the community through a discussion and voting process.

4. What is the purpose of editing a Wikipedia entry using propositional logic?

The purpose of editing a Wikipedia entry using propositional logic is to ensure that the information presented is accurate and logically sound. By using propositional logic, editors can analyze and evaluate the logical relationships between different statements and ensure that the information presented is consistent and free from errors.

5. Can I edit a protected Wikipedia entry without being an administrator?

No, editing a protected Wikipedia entry requires special permissions, which are usually only granted to administrators or users with specific roles. However, anyone can suggest changes or report errors in a protected entry by using the "View source" tab and leaving a note on the talk page associated with the entry.