Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pros and Cons of Canon 600D and Nikon D5200?

Tags:
  1. Jul 17, 2014 #1
    Can somebody please suggest me which DSLR camera I should buy for video: Canon 600D ( T3i ) or Nikon D5200? I have seen lots of fantastic short films made with Canon 600D ( and Canon 60D which has basically the same sensor ), whereas only very few shot with Nikon D5200, but yet I find so many reviews that say the Nikon D5200 is an extraordinary camera in its price range, and even comparable to Canon's 5D Mark III. I do like Nikon's image quality better, but is there something I'm missing about the 600D? I'm aware that Canon DSLR's have the ability to fit with a huge range of lenses, whereas Nikon is restricted to its own and relatively only a handful of lenses. But if I'm happy with Nikon's lenses, would I still be missing something that could be useful in making videos with a 600D which is not possible with the D5200?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2014 #2
  4. Jul 28, 2014 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Try to put your hands on raw samples shot with both cameras. As much as I love my EOS 7D I was rather disappointed with the video quality (good, but not for 1080p, I suppose you can get the same quality from a decent 720p camera). I am not saying to expect the same kind of problems - just checking raw samples should give the best possible comparison.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook