• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Pros, Cons, and Moral Issues for Space Colonization

• Thread starter Snazzy
  • Start date
There is a widely held view in our Western society that it is the ultimate “destiny” of humanity to move off the Earth and colonize – some would go so far as to say “conquer” – other planets, both within our solar system and orbiting other stars. Whereas dreams of conquest historically have been the province of demagogues and rogues, this galaxy-colonizing idea today is actually more likely to be heard from professional astronomers and NASA apparatchiks. Although the stars are a very very long way off, assume for the purposes of this question that shorter-range colonization (Moon, Mars, Galilean satellites, etc.) will soon be feasible; should we attempt to take over other worlds? And why: for living space, or resources,… or just for curiosity? Would your answers be the same if there were: intelligent organisms on target planets?; living organisms?; fossil evidence of earlier organisms? Explain. [HINT – realize that there are significant economic forces at work in this whole topic…]
That is the question at hand and it's for a first year biology course. I have my sources and I have my opinions on the matter, but a lot, if not all, of my sources are popular sources from magazines or mainstream science sites. I was wondering if anyone knew any journal articles in academic journals that could possibly give me more insight into these questions. (I can't find any and my professor abhors popular sources).

Answers and Replies

That is the question at hand and it's for a first year biology course.
-a question for a first year biology class.

Why is this a question for a first year biology class?

I would ignore the first question and answer the 'why' question. After all we are talking moral issues (in a class that is overtly an introductory biology class). But that's just me, and I wouldn't last with such a professor.

Would you say your professor has a hidden agenda?

I don't know why it's for a first-year biology class. I guess he wants us to start thinking scientifically to come up with hypotheses and reasons.

And yes, he probably does have a hidden agenda, or he's a cranky type of person since he failed 80% of the class on the midterm, with an average of 37% for the entire class.

Well... Jump the hoops and tell him what he wants to hear-- which apparently has little to do with biology but more to do with usual progressive turpitude swirling among the humanities and soft sciences. But with that last comment I don't know where he stands.