Solving Parallel RC Circuit with Unknown Values: Help from Pros

• Thread starter Learner123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the current and time constant for a parallel RC circuit. The known values are V, R (same for all), C1 and C2. Due to not having a textbook, the individual is having trouble finding the necessary formulas to solve the problem. After searching online, they found the formula for RC in a parallel circuit, but it only applies to AC circuits. They are considering using the formula i(t) = U/R * [1-e^(-t / RC)] to find the current, but are unsure if it can be applied to parallel RC circuits. They have also provided a link to the image of the problem.
Learner123

Homework Statement

hello everybody, i had homework prob due tommorrow, but i couldn't solve, the attached file is the image of the problem (it absolutely has no virus). all known values are labeled in the picture (V, R (same for all), C1 and C2). The questions are: find curren I, and time constant (which is equal to RC)

Homework Equations

I let my friend borrow my textbook, and i forgot to get his cell phone, so i can't find many formulas for the prob. But i do remember some and enough for the prob
V1 =V2 for parallel, I = I1 + I2 for parallel, V = V1 + V2, I1 = I2...

The Attempt at a Solution

The prob involves RC circuit, if it's series RC circuit, i may (or may not) find the solutions, but here the parallel RC circuit, and i don't have textbook with me, so i couldn't find the connection between R and C in parallel circuit. I did surfing the web to find the formula, and i found the formula: Rc = j omega C (or Ic = j omega CV). I have no idea what j and omega are, beside, they are not given values, so i stuck.

I believe the above formula only apply for AC circuit, while this problem is DC circuit. I was thinking that the current doesn't go through the capacitors, so we can calculate the total resistance R of the circuit while ignoring the capacitor, then we use the formula i(t) = U/R * [1-e^(-t / RC)] to find current I (i didn't find any source that say this formula could apply to parallel RC). That was my plan, if someone could point out the solution, million times thanx

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:

1. How can pros help me with my physics homework?

Professional physicists have extensive knowledge and experience in the field of physics, making them the perfect resource to help with your homework. They can provide explanations, examples, and solutions to complex problems, allowing you to better understand the concepts and excel in your coursework.

2. What qualifications do pros have to help with physics homework?

Most pros who offer help with physics homework have advanced degrees in physics or a related field, and many have years of experience working in the industry. They have a deep understanding of physics principles and can effectively communicate them to students.

3. How do I find a pro to help me with my physics homework?

There are many online platforms and tutoring services that connect students with professional physicists who can provide help with homework. You can also reach out to your school's physics department or ask your teacher for recommendations.

4. Can pros help with any level of physics homework?

Yes, professional physicists can help with homework at any level, from introductory high school physics to advanced college courses. They have a broad understanding of the subject and can adapt their teaching methods to meet the needs of different students.

5. How much does it cost to get help from a pro with my physics homework?

The cost of getting help from a pro with your physics homework can vary depending on the level of complexity and the amount of assistance needed. Some platforms offer pay-per-session options, while others may charge a flat fee for a set number of sessions. It is best to research and compare different options to find the most affordable and effective solution for your needs.