Proton Beam therapy (magnetic field)

In summary, a beam of protons with a velocity of 1.8x10^8 is deflected 90 degrees by a constant magnetic field, resulting in a circular arc trajectory with a radius of 4m. Using the equation B=mv/er, the magnitude of the magnetic field is found to be 0.47T. The given values may have been entered incorrectly initially.
tombroz

Homework Statement

A beam of protons with v=1.8x10^8 are deflected 90 degrees by a constant magnetic field. The trajectory of the beam has a circular arc with a radius of 4m.

I am asked to find the magnitude of the constant magnetic field.

Homework Equations

I know that r=mv/eB. When solving for B the equation is B=mv/er. Right?
m=1.67x10-27
v=1.8x108
e=1.6x10-19
r=4

The Attempt at a Solution

This gives me 7.515 for the magnitude of the magnetic field. The correct answer is 0.47T.
Did I start with the wrong equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You may have entered a number wrong. Using your values I get 0.47T as well.

Ahh... I see.

That was easy. Thanks!

Related to Proton Beam therapy (magnetic field)

What is Proton Beam Therapy?

Proton beam therapy is a type of radiation therapy that uses a beam of protons to target and destroy cancer cells. It is commonly used to treat solid tumors, such as those found in the brain, spine, and prostate.

How does Proton Beam Therapy differ from traditional radiation therapy?

Unlike traditional radiation therapy, which uses high-energy X-rays, proton beam therapy uses beams of protons. This allows the radiation to be more precisely targeted to the tumor, reducing damage to surrounding healthy tissue.

How does the magnetic field factor into Proton Beam Therapy?

The magnetic field is used to guide and focus the protons as they travel through the body to the tumor. This helps ensure that the protons reach the tumor and deliver their maximum dose of radiation, while minimizing exposure to other areas of the body.

What are the benefits of Proton Beam Therapy?

Proton beam therapy offers several benefits compared to traditional radiation therapy. These include more precise targeting of tumors, reduced damage to healthy tissue, and fewer side effects. It is also a non-invasive treatment, meaning there is no surgery involved.

What types of cancer can be treated with Proton Beam Therapy?

Proton beam therapy can be used to treat a variety of cancers, including those in the brain, spine, prostate, lung, and breast. It is also being studied for use in treating other types of cancer, such as pediatric cancers and certain rare tumors.