Proton in a plate capacitor: how far does it go?

In summary, the proton travels 7.22 *106m/s and is deflected sideways by 4.98 *10-6 C/m2 of surface charge when it reaches the far edge of the capacitor. With the given speed and acceleration, you can find the distance deflected.
pickleparty
1. Homework Statement

A proton traveling at a speed of 7.22 *106m/s enter the gap between the plates of a 7.86 cm wide parallel plate capacitor. The surface charge densities on the plate are ± 4.98 *10-6 C/m2. How far (in m) has the proton deflected sideways when it reaches the far edge of the capacitor? Assume that the electric field is uniform inside the capacitor and zero outside.

2. Homework Equations

S= (1/2)*(E*q)/m*(d/v)^2 ?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't know what goes where or if I even have the right formula. I am truthfully lost. A classmate told me to use the above formula but didnt explain it. I got the concept he explained but lost the math. so what formula and how does it fit together?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find the electric field inside the capacitor? If so, can you find the acceleration of the electron? With the acceleration and the time the electron takes to transverse the capacitor, can you find distance deflected?

The proton travels along the length of the capacitor (x direction)with the given speed vx and is deflected by the electric field in the y direction. Like in case of projectile motion we can consider separately the motions along x and y: in the x direction it is uniform x=vxt , in the y direction the proton moves with uniform acceleration: y=1/2 *a *t^2.
You need t: but you know that x= 7.86*10-2 m and vx=7.22 *10^6 m/s.
You need the acceleration a. It is force/mass. How much is the force on a proton in an electric field E? You are given the surface charge of the capacitor. How is it related to the electric field strength? To get the force, you need the charge of proton. To get the acceleration, you need the mass of the proton. Both data are included in your textbook, or you can find them on the Net.

ehild

I'm still missing something. can you dumb it down more. do i use the formula my friend told me to use or do i ues another
mass proton: 1.6*10^-27
charge of proton: 1.6*10^-19 C
S= (0.5 E?*q?)/(1.6*10^-27((4.98 *10-6 C/m2)/(7.22 *106m/s))^2)

Do not use a formula without understanding it.

Try to answer my questions. I help a bit. The electric field E between the capacitor plates is equal to the surface charge density on the plates divided by the vacuum permittivity.

ehild

1. What is a "proton in a plate capacitor"?

A "proton in a plate capacitor" refers to a hypothetical scenario in which a positively charged proton is placed between two parallel plates that have opposite charges. This setup creates an electric field that can be used to measure the distance the proton will travel.

2. How far does a proton go in a plate capacitor?

The distance a proton travels in a plate capacitor depends on several factors, such as the strength of the electric field, the charge of the plates, and the initial velocity of the proton. In general, the proton will accelerate towards the positively charged plate and continue to move until it reaches equilibrium with the electric field.

3. What is the equation for calculating the distance a proton travels in a plate capacitor?

The equation used to calculate the distance a proton travels in a plate capacitor is d = (1/2)mv²/qE, where d is the distance, m is the mass of the proton, v is the initial velocity, q is the charge of the proton, and E is the electric field strength.

4. How does the distance a proton travels in a plate capacitor affect its potential energy?

The distance a proton travels in a plate capacitor is directly proportional to its potential energy. As the proton moves closer to the positively charged plate, its potential energy increases. The closer the proton gets to the plate, the higher its potential energy will be.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying protons in plate capacitors?

Studying protons in plate capacitors can have various real-world applications, such as in the development of electronic devices and capacitors used in circuits. It can also help in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields, which is essential in fields such as particle physics and nuclear engineering.