Prove 1-sinA/1-secA - 1+sinA/1+secA = 2cotA(cosA-cosecA)

• Thread starter hobomoe
  • Start date
In summary, the homework problem states that tan^2+1=sec^2. The Attempt at a Solution states that (1-sinA)/(1-secA) - (1+sinA)/(1-secA) = 2cotA(cosA-cosecA). The problem is that when working with trig identities, you are only allowed to work with one side or the other. The algebraic solution states that 1-sec2(A) = -tan(A).
hobomoe

Homework Statement

Prove that
(1-sinA)/(1-secA) - (1+sinA)/(1+secA) = 2cotA(cosA-cosecA)

Homework Equations

tan^2+1=sec^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Times (1-sinA)/(1-secA) - (1+sinA)/(1-secA) = 2cotA(cosA-cosecA) by (1-sec^2 A) to get
(1-sinA)(1+secA) - (1+sinA)(1-secA) = 2cotA(cosA-cosecA)(tan^2 A)
= 2(sinA-secA)
(1-sinA)(1+secA) - (1+sinA)(1-secA) = (1+secA-sinA-sinAsecA)-(1-secA+sinA-sinAsecA)
= 2(secA-sinA)
I made at least one mistake in one of the steps I believe.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use more parentheses...

Better?

why are you assuming the two sides of the identity are equal in the proof itself?

They do equal. We're only asked to prove that they do, not to find out if they do or not.

2cotA(cosA-cosecA)(tan^2 A)

(The right hand side of the second line of your solution) will be simpler if you recognize that cot(A)=1/tan(A).

Then use: tan(A) = sin(A)/cos(A).

Also: What sentient 6 points out in Post #4, is that when proving a trig identity, it is customary to not allow multiplying, dividing, adding, or subtracting both sides of the equation. Usually you are only allowed to work on each side independently. Very strict instructors will only allow you to work with one side or the other.

Last edited:
SammyS said:
2cotA(cosA-cosecA)(tan^2 A)

(The right hand side of the second line of your solution) will be simpler if you recognize that cot(A)=1/tan(A).

Then use: tan(A) = sin(A)/cos(A).
I did do that to get 2cotA(cosA-cosecA)(tan^2 A) = 2(sinA-secA).
One tanA cancels out cotA and the other changes the cosA and cosecA.
Or am I wrong?

hobomoe said:
I did do that to get 2cotA(cosA-cosecA)(tan^2 A) = 2(sinA-secA).
One tanA cancels out cotA and the other changes the cosA and cosecA.
Or am I wrong?
No, that's fine. I missed seeing that! DUH! (@ me)

What you have done looks fine. (except for the unusual way of working with identities)

Are you sure you didn't copy the problem wrong?

One way to check to see if an identity is true or false is to use a graphing calculator or program.

Graph the left side minus the right side. Graph should be y = 0 or very near zero, like y = 1×10-15.

Last edited:
The answers are opposites of each other so where did I go wrong in one of the equations?
(ones positive and ones negative)

I see the problem!

sec2(A) - 1 = tan(A)

Therefore: 1 - sec2(A) = -tan(A)

Oh haha big derp by me.. THANK YOU! Been stressing me out..

What is the equation being asked to prove?

The equation being asked to prove is 1-sinA/1-secA - 1+sinA/1+secA = 2cotA(cosA-cosecA).

What are the given conditions for this equation?

The given conditions for this equation are that A is an angle, and both sinA and secA are defined and not equal to 0.

What are the possible steps to prove this equation?

One possible step is to simplify the left side of the equation using trigonometric identities. Then, use algebraic manipulation to get the equation into the form of the right side. Another step could be to use a unit circle to visualize the equation and understand its components.

What are the common mistakes made when proving this equation?

Some common mistakes made when proving this equation include incorrectly applying trigonometric identities or using incorrect algebraic steps. It is important to double check all steps and make sure they align with the given conditions.

What is the significance of this equation in the field of trigonometry?

This equation is significant in the field of trigonometry because it showcases the relationships between different trigonometric functions and how they can be manipulated to create equivalent expressions. It also demonstrates the use of identities and algebraic manipulation in solving equations.