What is the Proof for (a^(-1))^(-1) = a?

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the inverse of a group element and the use of group axioms to solve it. The solution involves showing that (a^{-1})^{-1} is equal to a by using the fact that every element in a group has a unique inverse. The conversation also touches on the concept of inverses and how they relate to group elements.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Trying to run through every problem i can in my book in preparation for my exam. I've solved this one before, but it slipped my mind how to do it :

http://gyazo.com/9fcf9f3cef522c3d5eb1fa7d4ad04394

Homework Equations

Working in a group, so group axioms I suppose.

The Attempt at a Solution

I forgot where to start this one off, I was thinking :

e = aa-1
a-1e = a-1aa-1

That won't get me anywhere though, any pointers would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know that every element in a group has a unique inverse?? You can use this by showing that [itex]a[/itex] and [itex](a^{-1})^{-1}[/itex] are inverses of the same element. So they must be equal.

micromass said:
Do you know that every element in a group has a unique inverse?? You can use this by showing that [itex]a[/itex] and [itex](a^{-1})^{-1}[/itex] are inverses of the same element. So they must be equal.

Ah, so what you're saying is if a is a group element, then it has an inverse which is also a group element denoted by a-1.

Since a-1 is also a group element and the inverse of a, then (a-1)-1 is also a group element and is the inverse of a-1.

Zondrina said:
Ah, so what you're saying is if a is a group element, then it has an inverse which is also a group element denoted by a-1.

Since a-1 is also a group element and the inverse of a, then (a-1)-1 is also a group element and is the inverse of a-1.

Yes. So [itex]a^{-1}[/itex] has two inverses. Those inverses must equal.

Hi Zondrina!

In a group every element has to have an inverse.
Now suppose we have b=a-1.
Then according to the group axioms we have: ab=e
What happens if you multiply the left and right hand sides with b-1?

1. What is the meaning of "Prove (a^(-1))^(-1) = a"?

The statement "Prove (a^(-1))^(-1) = a" means to show or demonstrate that the inverse of the inverse of a number or variable a is equal to the number or variable a itself. In other words, proving this statement means showing that taking the inverse of a number or variable twice results in the original number or variable.

2. Why is it important to prove (a^(-1))^(-1) = a?

Proving this statement is important because it is a fundamental property of inverses, which are commonly used in mathematics and science. Inverses are useful for solving equations, finding solutions to problems, and understanding the relationship between two quantities. By proving this statement, we can confidently use inverses in our calculations and analyses.

3. What are the steps to prove (a^(-1))^(-1) = a?

The steps to prove (a^(-1))^(-1) = a are as follows:
1. Rewrite the statement using the definition of inverse, which is a number or variable that, when multiplied by the original number or variable, results in 1.
2. Simplify the expression by using exponent rules and properties of multiplication and division.
3. Show that the simplified expression is equal to the original number or variable a.
4. Conclude that (a^(-1))^(-1) = a is true, since the simplified expression is equivalent to the original statement.

4. Can (a^(-1))^(-1) = a be proven for any number or variable a?

Yes, this statement can be proven for any number or variable a, as long as a has an inverse. This means that a cannot be equal to 0, since 0 does not have an inverse. However, any other real number or variable can be used in this statement and it will hold true.

5. Are there any real-life applications of (a^(-1))^(-1) = a?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of this statement. One example is in physics, where inverses are commonly used to represent quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force. By proving this statement, we can confidently apply inverse operations in our calculations to solve problems and make predictions. It is also useful in engineering, computer science, and economics, among other fields.