Prove f is not piecewise continuous on [-1,1]

• Thread starter maupassant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuous
In summary, the conversation discusses the function f(x) and how it is not piecewise continuous on the interval I=[-1,1] due to the fact that sin(1/x) changes sign arbitrarily often as x tends to zero. The attempt at a solution involves trying to show that there is always an x close enough to zero where the sign of sin(1/x) is opposite from the previous sign, leading to a contradiction. This shows that there are infinitely many points of discontinuity, contradicting the assumption that there are only finitely many.
maupassant

Homework Statement

Let f(x) = x sgn(sin(1/x)) if x != 0
f(x) = 0 if x = 0
on the interval I=[-1,1]

Now I 'm asked to show that f(x) is not piecewise continuous on I and later, I must show that f is integrable on I.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely lost here and don't know how to proceed...
I think we should first divide the partition in some regular subpartitions so that x=0 is excluded (the only possible discontinuity?):
P1=[-1, -e/100] and P2=[e/100, 1], and then try to show that continuity on the interval P3=[-e/100, e/100] is impossible but that we still have uniform continuity on P1 and P2?
Should I be looking in that direction? Or should I look at it in a complete different way?

Thank you for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Intuitively, it is not piecewise continuous because sin(1/x) changes sign arbitrarily often as you let x tend to zero (1/x grows without bound, so there is always an x arbitrarily close for which the sign of the sine has flipped).

So maybe you can use this for a rigorous proof. For example, suppose that sin(1/x) is piecewise continuous. Then you can list all points of discontinuity and there are finitely many, for example x1 < x2 < ... < xn.
If you can show that there must be some 0 < x0 < x1, such that sin(1/x0) has a sign opposite from sin(1/x1), you are done (you have listed them all, and found another one, which is a contradiction).

I assume you mean the sign function
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_function

your function will be discontinous everytime sin(1/x) = 0, or when 1/x = n.pi,

so when x = 1/(n.pi)

if you definition for piecewise continuous contains discontinuous at only finitely many discontinuities, it sould be easy to show this is contradicted

right, so just like Compuchip said ;)

Thank you very much for your help guys!

What does it mean for a function to be piecewise continuous?

Piecewise continuous means that the function is continuous on each piece or interval of its domain. In other words, the function has no breaks or discontinuities within each interval, but there may be breaks or discontinuities between intervals.

How can I prove that a function is not piecewise continuous?

To prove that a function is not piecewise continuous, you need to show that it has at least one break or discontinuity within an interval. This can be done by finding a point in the interval where the function is not continuous, or by showing that the left and right limits of the function at a certain point do not equal each other.

What is the significance of proving that a function is not piecewise continuous?

Proving that a function is not piecewise continuous can help us understand the behavior of the function and identify any potential issues in its domain. It can also help us determine the most appropriate way to represent the function, such as using a piecewise function or specifying the intervals where the function is continuous.

Are all functions on a closed interval guaranteed to be piecewise continuous?

No, not all functions on a closed interval are guaranteed to be piecewise continuous. A function may have breaks or discontinuities within the interval, making it not piecewise continuous. However, if a function is continuous on a closed interval, it is also piecewise continuous.

Can a function be piecewise continuous at some points and not others?

Yes, a function can be piecewise continuous at some points and not others. This means that the function may have breaks or discontinuities within certain intervals, but is continuous on other intervals. In this case, the function would still be considered piecewise continuous overall.