1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Prove in U(n) for n finite: x^5 = e has a number of solutions that is multiple of 4

1. Sep 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a finite group, show that the number of non-identity elements that satisfy the equation:

x^5 = e = identity element of multiplication mod n = 1

is a multiple of 4.

(Also need to show: if the stipulation that the group be finite is omitted, what can you say about the number of non-identity elements that satisfy x^5 = e ... but if I get the part of the question that's not in parenthesis, I should be able to figure it out...but I'm mentioning it just in case there's a hint in the asking of the question).

2. Relevant equations

axioms of groups: associativity, existance of inverse-elements, existance and uniqueness of identity, and we are in the (Abelian) group U(n), which is multiplication mod n. i think those are the ingrediants needed for a group.

3. The attempt at a solution

my professor suggested "look for a pattern", so i used Microsoft EXCEL to multiply mod n and find groups for U(n), for the cases n = 4, 5, 6, ... 14.

[tex]U(4) = \left\{ {1,3} \right\}[/tex]
    [tex]U(5) = \left\{ {1,2,3,4} \right\}[/tex]
    [tex]U(6) = \left\{ {1,5} \right\}[/tex]
    [tex]U(7) = \left\{ {1,2,3,4,5,6} \right\}[/tex]
    [tex]U(8) = \left\{ {1,3,5,7} \right\}[/tex]
    [tex]U(9) = \left\{ {1,2,4,5,7,8} \right\}[/tex]
    [tex]U(10) = \left\{ {1,3,7,9} \right\}[/tex]
    [tex]U(11) = \left\{ {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10} \right\}[/tex]
    [tex]U(12) = \left\{ {1,5,7,11} \right\}[/tex]
    [tex]U(13) = \left\{ {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12} \right\}[/tex]
    [tex]U(14) = \left\{ {1,3,5,9,11,13} \right\}[/tex]

Then: of these elements, find only those guys that satisfy x^5 = e = 1. The elements of U(11): 3, 4, 5, and 9, four elements, satisfy x^5 = e. Everything else, only 1, the identity element (not a non-identity element! ha ha) satisfied x^5 = e.

Too small a set of instances (one!) to find a pattern. Is there some sort of closed form expression for 3, 4, 5, and 9 "in" U(11) that raising these guys to the 5th power that I could show to be mandatorily divisible by 4 that I am missing? Any suggestions on how to approach this? Am I going down a blind alley by just looking for a pattern? :-|

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2
    Re: prove in U(n) for n finite: x^5 = e has a number of solutions that is multiple of

I think I just "thought" of the instance where the group becomes infinite. if we were to stay in the integers, I think you can NOT have any solutions x^5 = e (if group is infinite, how can we speak of "mod"?). However, if we consider complex numbers, perhaps the solutions to x^5 = e must be the four (out of five) roots that are not equal to exp(i*2*pi) = the identity element.

4. Sep 19, 2010 #3
    Re: prove in U(n) for n finite: x^5 = e has a number of solutions that is multiple of

UPDATE: I have a nice proof that if x satisfies x^5 = e, then so too must x^2 and x^4.

Suppose there exists nonidentity element “x” that satisfies x^5 mod n = e. then:

[tex]\exists x:{x^5}\bmod n = e[/tex] (1)

That means:

[tex]n|({x^5} - e)[/tex] (2)

turn, n will divide any integer multiple of the right hand side of [I.15]. Such an integer-multiple might be:

[tex]({x^5} - e)({x^5} + e) = {x^{10}} - {e^2} = {x^{10}} - e[/tex] (3)

Thus, if (1) is true and we thus have that “x”, then “x2” must also satisfy (1), generating our next “x”. By this same method, an “x4” must also exist, too: three out of the four elements that need to exist.

Does x3 also satisfy (1)? It must, somehow. Perhaps we could reach a contradiction if it didn't, and complete the proof?

5. Sep 19, 2010 #4

..at least i THINK i have a proof....critique this proof if you see problems! i have no experience with "pure-math" proofs!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook