Showing Multiple of 4 in Finite Group Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that the number of non-identity elements that satisfy the equation x^5 = e (where e is the identity element of multiplication mod n) in a finite group is a multiple of 4. The conversation also mentions the possibility of considering complex numbers when the group is infinite and the use of Excel to find patterns in different cases of n. The conversation ends with a proposed proof that if x satisfies x^5 = e, then so do x^2 and x^4.
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

In a finite group, show that the number of non-identity elements that satisfy the equation:

x^5 = e = identity element of multiplication mod n = 1

is a multiple of 4.

(Also need to show: if the stipulation that the group be finite is omitted, what can you say about the number of non-identity elements that satisfy x^5 = e ... but if I get the part of the question that's not in parenthesis, I should be able to figure it out...but I'm mentioning it just in case there's a hint in the asking of the question).

Homework Equations

axioms of groups: associativity, existence of inverse-elements, existence and uniqueness of identity, and we are in the (Abelian) group U(n), which is multiplication mod n. i think those are the ingrediants needed for a group.

The Attempt at a Solution

my professor suggested "look for a pattern", so i used Microsoft EXCEL to multiply mod n and find groups for U(n), for the cases n = 4, 5, 6, ... 14.

[tex]U(4) = \left\{ {1,3} \right\}[/tex]
[tex]U(5) = \left\{ {1,2,3,4} \right\}[/tex]
[tex]U(6) = \left\{ {1,5} \right\}[/tex]
[tex]U(7) = \left\{ {1,2,3,4,5,6} \right\}[/tex]
[tex]U(8) = \left\{ {1,3,5,7} \right\}[/tex]
[tex]U(9) = \left\{ {1,2,4,5,7,8} \right\}[/tex]
[tex]U(10) = \left\{ {1,3,7,9} \right\}[/tex]
[tex]U(11) = \left\{ {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10} \right\}[/tex]
[tex]U(12) = \left\{ {1,5,7,11} \right\}[/tex]
[tex]U(13) = \left\{ {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12} \right\}[/tex]
[tex]U(14) = \left\{ {1,3,5,9,11,13} \right\}[/tex]

Then: of these elements, find only those guys that satisfy x^5 = e = 1. The elements of U(11): 3, 4, 5, and 9, four elements, satisfy x^5 = e. Everything else, only 1, the identity element (not a non-identity element! ha ha) satisfied x^5 = e.

Too small a set of instances (one!) to find a pattern. Is there some sort of closed form expression for 3, 4, 5, and 9 "in" U(11) that raising these guys to the 5th power that I could show to be mandatorily divisible by 4 that I am missing? Any suggestions on how to approach this? Am I going down a blind alley by just looking for a pattern? :-|

Physics news on Phys.org

I think I just "thought" of the instance where the group becomes infinite. if we were to stay in the integers, I think you can NOT have any solutions x^5 = e (if group is infinite, how can we speak of "mod"?). However, if we consider complex numbers, perhaps the solutions to x^5 = e must be the four (out of five) roots that are not equal to exp(i*2*pi) = the identity element.

UPDATE: I have a nice proof that if x satisfies x^5 = e, then so too must x^2 and x^4.

Suppose there exists nonidentity element “x” that satisfies x^5 mod n = e. then:

[tex]\exists x:{x^5}\bmod n = e[/tex] (1)

That means:

[tex]n|({x^5} - e)[/tex] (2)

turn, n will divide any integer multiple of the right hand side of [I.15]. Such an integer-multiple might be:

[tex]({x^5} - e)({x^5} + e) = {x^{10}} - {e^2} = {x^{10}} - e[/tex] (3)

Thus, if (1) is true and we thus have that “x”, then “x2” must also satisfy (1), generating our next “x”. By this same method, an “x4” must also exist, too: three out of the four elements that need to exist.

Does x3 also satisfy (1)? It must, somehow. Perhaps we could reach a contradiction if it didn't, and complete the proof?

..at least i THINK i have a proof...critique this proof if you see problems! i have no experience with "pure-math" proofs!

What is a finite group?

A finite group is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines any two elements in the set to produce another element in the set. The group is finite, meaning that there are a finite number of elements in the set.

What does it mean to show multiple of 4 in a finite group equation?

Showing multiple of 4 in a finite group equation means that the equation contains terms that are divisible by 4. In other words, when the equation is solved, the result will be a multiple of 4.

Why is it important to show multiple of 4 in a finite group equation?

Showing multiple of 4 in a finite group equation can help in identifying patterns and understanding the structure of the group. It can also be useful in solving certain equations and proving theorems related to finite groups.

How do you show multiple of 4 in a finite group equation?

To show multiple of 4 in a finite group equation, one can use the properties of the group operation, such as associativity and commutativity, to manipulate the terms and simplify the equation. Additionally, knowledge of the group's order and elements can also aid in showing multiple of 4 in the equation.

What are some real-world applications of showing multiple of 4 in a finite group equation?

Finite groups and their equations have various applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics. Showing multiple of 4 in a finite group equation can be useful in designing secure encryption algorithms and error-correcting codes, as well as understanding the symmetries and transformations in physical systems.