Prove Indices: xa-xb < 1+xaxb for {x1, x2, x3, x4, x5}

In summary: I am pretty sure it doesn't meant any 2 elements in the set. But 2 consecutive elements in the set? No, they don't have to be consecutive.
DorumonSg
Let {x1, x2, x3, x4, x5} be distinct real numbers. Prove there are indices a, b with 0< xa-xb<1+xaxb.

Seriously I have no idea how to even start...

I tried subbing random numbers in... but nope...

Can anyone give a hint?

Hey wait, the sets do not need to be ordered right? Can I do this?

Direct proof:

{x1, x2, x3, x4, x5} = {-1, -2, -3, -4, -5}

proven.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to use the fact that we can put an order on the set, say x1<x2<..<x5.

Last edited:
sutupidmath said:
Try to use the fact that we can put an order on the set, say x1<x2<..<x5.

Then I dun see any combination that can prove it...

You might want to start with xi-xj>0, for some i,j. You can make such a choice. I would be inclined to consider three cases separately: when the set consists of all positive real nr., all negative and a combination of both.

Erm... how is tat possible...

Example for xi - xj, if they are an ordered set...

For a positive case... a smaller number - a bigger number I will get negative... which is smaller than 0

For a negative case... a smaller number - a bigger number I will get negative... which is smaller than 0

if I mix them up... which I can't...because if u say I should do the sets in order the set would look sumting like... {-2, -1, 0, 1, 2} <- juz an example, its not the right anwer. and since i and j have to be consective elements in the set... halfway thru' the set they would unmixed... and besides, I still get a negative number...

The question is asking only two show that such indices exist, not to show that such a thing is true for all of them. So, given any two elements from your set, say x_i, x_j, since they are distinct, then precisely one of the following should hold: xi<xj or xj<xi.

None of them holds a special status, so we can choose either one, say the secon holds, then certainly xi-xj>0.

Okay... but I still don't see how it can be done if the set is ordered... like I alreadi explained above.

I am working under the assumption that R has the simple order (the natural order).

sutupidmath said:
I am working under the assumption that R has the simple order (the natural order).

Yes I understand ur saying if u mean natural order as ...-1,-2,0,1,2,3,4...

But I dun see how the logic can be proven true using this order?

Do u have a set of number in mind tat can work? Coz' I can't see ani.

{1,2,3,4,5}={x1,x2,x3,x4,x5}

0<x3-x1=2<1+3*1=1+x3*x1

However, the point here is to show that this works for any such set.

sutupidmath said:
{1,2,3,4,5}={x1,x2,x3,x4,x5}

0<x3-x1=2<1+3*1=1+x3*x1

However, the point here is to show that this works for any such set.

hold on a sec!

when it says indices, a, b.

I am pretty sure it doesn't meant any 2 elements in the set.

But 2 consecutive elements in the set?

Fine, I mistyped abit, they actually stated i, j instead of a, b. if i, j actualli means anything...

DorumonSg said:
hold on a sec!

when it says indices, a, b.

I am pretty sure it doesn't meant any 2 elements in the set.

But 2 consecutive elements in the set?
No, they don't have to be consecutive. Here is a revision of the problem description you posted at the beginning of this thread.

Let {x1, x2, x3, x4, x5} be distinct real numbers. Prove that there are some indices i and j such that 0< xi - xj < 1+xi xj.
I interpret this to mean that the inequality doesn't have to hold for all choices of i and j, but it has to hold for at least one choice of i and j. It doesn't say anything about i and j being consecutive values.
DorumonSg said:
Fine, I mistyped abit, they actually stated i, j instead of a, b. if i, j actualli means anything...

Related to Prove Indices: xa-xb < 1+xaxb for {x1, x2, x3, x4, x5}

What is the purpose of proving indices?

The purpose of proving indices is to establish a mathematical relationship between different powers of a number and to demonstrate that certain inequalities or equations hold true for all values within a defined set.

What is an index in mathematics?

In mathematics, an index refers to the power to which a number or variable is raised. It is usually denoted by a small number written to the right and slightly above the base number.

What is the general approach to proving indices?

The general approach to proving indices involves manipulating the given inequality or equation using various algebraic properties and rules, such as the laws of exponents and the distributive property, until the desired result is obtained.

What is the significance of the inequality xa-xb < 1+xaxb for {x1, x2, x3, x4, x5}?

This inequality is significant because it shows that for any set of five real numbers (x1, x2, x3, x4, x5), the difference between the powers of any two distinct numbers is always less than the sum of their respective powers plus one.

Can this inequality be applied to all sets of real numbers?

Yes, this inequality is applicable to all sets of real numbers. It is a fundamental property of exponents and holds true for any set of real numbers, regardless of their values or order.