1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove n1<N<n2 for effective index N...

1. Nov 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove for effective index N that n1<N<n2.

2. Relevant equations

N=n1sin(theta)
    TIR is theta>thetacritical
    snells law-n1sin(theta)=n2sin(theta2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know why N is strictly less than n1 since sin(theta) goes from 0 to 1 and if its at 1 theta has to be 90. For TIR to actually happen N must be strictly less than n1. But I'm having trouble proving the n2<N part.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yet your "to be shown" has it > n1. Reversing that doesn't help since from Snell's law it should also be less than n2.
    Please describe the set- up and define effective index. Even if it is a standard term, many on this forum would need to look it up.

4. Nov 18, 2016 #3
    Ah, my mistake. It should be show n2<N<n1.

Effective index is n1sin(theta). This is for the symmetric, 3-layer slab waveguide. The core thickness is d and its index is n1. The clad indices have the same value of n2.
    My task is to prove the effective index N of any of the guided modes obeys the relationships n2<N<n1.

I know N<n1 because in(theta) goes from 0 to 1. If it is at 1, theta must be 90 degrees, meaning the light never hit the surface in front of the plane. Therefore, for TIR to actually happen, N must be strictly less than n1.

My apologies!

5. Nov 18, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ok.
    Snell's Law is for a wave which penetrates the boundary. Your wave at angle theta is to be reflected.
    If N<n2, what will happen?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted