Prove n1<N<n2 for effective index N....

In summary: If N<n2, the light will never hit the surface in front of the plane. The wave will be reflected back into the core.
Alvis

Homework Statement

Prove for effective index N that n1<N<n2.

Homework Equations

[/B]
N=n1sin(theta)
TIR is theta>thetacritical
snells law-n1sin(theta)=n2sin(theta2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know why N is strictly less than n1 since sin(theta) goes from 0 to 1 and if its at 1 theta has to be 90. For TIR to actually happen N must be strictly less than n1. But I'm having trouble proving the n2<N part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alvis said:
I know why N is strictly less than n1
Yet your "to be shown" has it > n1. Reversing that doesn't help since from Snell's law it should also be less than n2.
Please describe the set- up and define effective index. Even if it is a standard term, many on this forum would need to look it up.

Ah, my mistake. It should be show n2<N<n1.

Effective index is n1sin(theta). This is for the symmetric, 3-layer slab waveguide. The core thickness is d and its index is n1. The clad indices have the same value of n2.
My task is to prove the effective index N of any of the guided modes obeys the relationships n2<N<n1.

I know N<n1 because in(theta) goes from 0 to 1. If it is at 1, theta must be 90 degrees, meaning the light never hit the surface in front of the plane. Therefore, for TIR to actually happen, N must be strictly less than n1.

My apologies!

Alvis said:
Ah, my mistake. It should be show n2<N<n1.

Effective index is n1sin(theta). This is for the symmetric, 3-layer slab waveguide. The core thickness is d and its index is n1. The clad indices have the same value of n2.
My task is to prove the effective index N of any of the guided modes obeys the relationships n2<N<n1.

I know N<n1 because in(theta) goes from 0 to 1. If it is at 1, theta must be 90 degrees, meaning the light never hit the surface in front of the plane. Therefore, for TIR to actually happen, N must be strictly less than n1.

My apologies!
Ok.
Snell's Law is for a wave which penetrates the boundary. Your wave at angle theta is to be reflected.
If N<n2, what will happen?

What is the definition of "effective index N" in this context?

The effective index N refers to the number of particles or entities within a given system. It is used as a measure of the efficiency or effectiveness of a process or system.

Why is it important to prove n1

Proving n1

What factors contribute to the effective index N?

The effective index N is influenced by a variety of factors, including the number of particles or entities within the system, the properties of those particles, and the interactions between them. Other external factors, such as temperature and pressure, can also impact the effective index N.

How is the effective index N typically measured or calculated?

The effective index N can be measured or calculated using a variety of methods, including experimental techniques and mathematical models. The specific approach will depend on the system and the desired level of accuracy.

Can the effective index N be changed or manipulated?

Yes, the effective index N can be altered by adjusting the factors that contribute to it, such as the number of particles or their properties. This can be done through various methods, such as adding or removing particles, changing the temperature or pressure, or altering the interactions between particles.