Prove or Disprove these statements on matrices

• Thread starter NeonVomitt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the conversation discussed proving or disproving statements about 2 x 2 matrices. The statements included the invertibility of matrices, the relationship between invertible matrices, and the use of elementary matrices. The conversation also mentioned the identity matrix and the potential use of constants in proving or disproving the statements.
NeonVomitt

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove the following statements concerning 2 x 2 matrices.

(a) If A^3 = 5I then A is invertible.
(b) If A and B are both invertible then AB - BA is not invertible.
(c) If ABC = I then B is invertible.
(d) If A^2 - 3A -2I = 0 then (A-1) and (A-2I) are both invertible.
(e) If A= EB and E is elementary then B = FA for some elementary F.

Homework Equations

I am a little confused on the following:
What is I?
How would I go about proving or disproving any of these, since it depends on the system of vectors in a particular matrix...can I simply do a generic matrix to prove/disprove the statement? Like using constants like a, b, c...etc...?

In most cases I know what to do, I just have trouble understanding what the question wants...exactly...

The Attempt at a Solution

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would assume, without further info, that I is the identity matrix. A lot of times when you are proving statements concerning matrices, the identity matrix plays a key role. It's been a while since I've done Linear Algebra so I can't really say anymore about it. Hope this helps!

1. What are matrices and why are they important in science?

Matrices are rectangular arrays of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. They are important in science because they allow us to represent and manipulate complex data, such as physical quantities, in a concise and organized manner. Matrices are used in various fields of science, including physics, biology, and engineering, to model and solve problems.

2. How do you determine if two matrices are equal?

Two matrices are equal if they have the same dimensions (same number of rows and columns) and if each element in one matrix is equal to the corresponding element in the other matrix. In other words, if matrix A and matrix B are both m x n matrices, then they are equal if aij = bij for all i and j.

3. Can you add or subtract two matrices of different sizes?

No, two matrices can only be added or subtracted if they have the same dimensions. This means that they must have the same number of rows and columns. If the matrices have different sizes, the operation is undefined.

4. How do you multiply two matrices?

To multiply two matrices, the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. The resulting matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix. The elements of the resulting matrix are calculated by taking the dot product of the corresponding row in the first matrix and column in the second matrix.

5. Is the inverse of a matrix always possible?

No, the inverse of a matrix is only possible if the matrix is square (same number of rows and columns) and if its determinant (a measure of its size) is not equal to zero. If the determinant is zero, the matrix is said to be singular and it does not have an inverse.