Can the Gauss Law for Gravitation be used to prove the Shell Theorem?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that an object within a spherically symmetric shell with uniform density will not feel any gravitational force due to the mass of the shell. The homework equations used are F = GmM/r^2 and Gauss Law for Gravitation. The conversation also considers the setup and possible simplifications to the calculations.
SHISHKABOB

Homework Statement

Prove that an object within a spherically symmetric shell with uniform density will feel no gravitational force due to the mass of the shell. Let the density of the shell be ρ, the mass of the object be m, the radii to the inner and outer surfaces be r1 and r2 respectively, and let the mass of the shell be M.

Homework Equations

F = GmM/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

so far I've drawn my setup. I tried to emulate the wikipedia article's drawing so that now I have two shells basically. I'm not exactly sure where I should go from here.

I have:

dFR = GmdM/([itex]s^{2}_{1}[/itex])cos([itex]\varphi_{1}[/itex]) + GmdM/([itex]s^{2}_{2}[/itex])cos([itex]\varphi_{2}[/itex])

but... can't I just take the distance and angle right in the middle of those two? I'll call them x and [itex]\alpha[/itex]

so that I have

dFR = GmdM/([itex]x^{2}[/itex])cos([itex]\alpha[/itex])

where x = (s1 + s2)/2

and [itex]\alpha[/itex] = ([itex]\varphi_{1}[/itex] + [itex]\varphi_{2}[/itex])/2

?

if so that would make things a lot easier

I think that it would be okay to do that because it says that the shell has uniform density

Attachments

• shell theorem.png
    shell theorem.png
    20 KB · Views: 591
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you would like to use the ' Gauss Law for Gravitation '.

What is the Shell Theorem?

The Shell Theorem is a mathematical principle that states that the gravitational force exerted by a spherically symmetric mass distribution on a body outside of the distribution is the same as if all the mass of the distribution were concentrated at its center.

Who first proved the Shell Theorem?

The Shell Theorem was first proved by the British mathematician and physicist Sir Isaac Newton in his famous work "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" in 1687.

What is the significance of the Shell Theorem?

The Shell Theorem is significant because it allows for simplification of complex gravitational problems involving spherically symmetric mass distributions. It also demonstrates the universality of the law of gravity.

How is the Shell Theorem related to the inverse-square law?

The Shell Theorem and the inverse-square law are closely related, as the Shell Theorem is derived from the inverse-square law. The inverse-square law states that the force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Can the Shell Theorem be applied to non-spherical mass distributions?

No, the Shell Theorem only applies to spherically symmetric mass distributions. For non-spherical distributions, the gravitational force exerted on a body outside of the distribution cannot be calculated using the Shell Theorem.