Prove this equation of initial velocity in projectile motion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
rawezh
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hi every one

Homework Statement


If (R) is to be the horizontal range of a projectile and (h) its maximum height prove that the initial velocity is:
[tex]\sqrt{(2g(h+\frac{R^2}{16h}))} [\tex]<br /> <br /> <br /> <h2>Homework Equations</h2><br /> <br /> [tex]R=\frac{v_0^2 sin(2\theta)}{g}[\tex]<br /> [tex]h=\frac{v_0^2 sin^2(\theta)}{2g}[\tex]<br /> [tex]v_y = v_0-g t [\tex]<br /> [tex]x=v_0 cos(\theta)\times t [\tex]<br /> [tex]y=v_0 sin(\theta) t-\frac {1}{2}gt^2[\tex]<br /> [tex]v^2=v_0^2-2gy[\tex]<br /> <h2>The Attempt at a Solution</h2><br /> I tried to put the equations of (R and h) in the given equation for initial velocity,and it did work but the problem is i don't think this method is acceptable in exams. And then I tired to start at the end by squaring both sides of the initial velocity equation and then moving ( 2gh) to the other side of the equation, which gives this:<br /> [tex]V_0^2-2gh=\frac {2gR^2}{16h} [\tex] <br /> but this got me nowhere, then i tried to combine the other equations but this attempt was also futile.<br /> <br /> I think that i need to remove the trigonometric functions somehow but i don't know how, and I'm hoping for some hint or something to help me move toward solving this problem.[/tex][/tex][/tex][/tex][/tex][/tex][/tex][/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
use /tex instead of \tex.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Allow me...
rawezh said:
Hi every one

Homework Statement


If (R) is to be the horizontal range of a projectile and (h) its maximum height prove that the initial velocity is:
[tex]\sqrt{(2g(h+\frac{R^2}{16h}))}[/tex]


Homework Equations



[tex]R=\frac{v_0^2 sin(2\theta)}{g}[/tex]
[tex]h=\frac{v_0^2 sin^2(\theta)}{2g}[/tex]
[tex]v_y = v_0-g t[/tex]
[tex]x=v_0 cos(\theta)\times t[/tex]
[tex]y=v_0 sin(\theta) t-\frac {1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
[tex]v^2=v_0^2-2gy[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to put the equations of (R and h) in the given equation for initial velocity,and it did work but the problem is i don't think this method is acceptable in exams. And then I tired to start at the end by squaring both sides of the initial velocity equation and then moving ( 2gh) to the other side of the equation, which gives this:
[tex]V_0^2-2gh=\frac {2gR^2}{16h}[/tex]
but this got me nowhere, then i tried to combine the other equations but this attempt was also futile.

I think that i need to remove the trigonometric functions somehow but i don't know how, and I'm hoping for some hint or something to help me move toward solving this problem.
 
I agree that your R and h equations are probably not acceptable starting points.
Your general SUVAT equations are:
[itex]x=v_0 cos(\theta) t[/itex]
[itex]y=v_0 sin(\theta) t-\frac {1}{2}gt^2[/itex]
You don't care about time, so eliminate t to arrive at one equation.
Now consider the co-ordinates at two places: max height and landing. What are x and y at those points? What equations do they give you?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Thank you both
I figured it out, what i had to do was to use the components of [tex]v_0[/tex] to find it's magnitude:
[tex]v_0^2=v_0^2sin^2(\theta)+v_0^2cos^2(\theta)[/tex]
from the equation of h it is clear that: [tex]v_0^2sin^2(\theta)=2gh[/tex]
Next i replaced [tex]sin(2\theta)[/tex] in R equation by [tex]2cos(\theta)sin(\theta)[/tex] then i squared it and replaced [tex]sin^2(\theta)[/tex] by [tex]\frac{2gh}{v_0^2}[/tex]
and then i put it all in place of [tex]v_0^2cos^2(\theta)[/tex] and the equation was proved.
Thanks again