1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove this equation of initial velocity in projectile motion

1. Apr 25, 2014 #1
    Hi every one

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If (R) is to be the horizontal range of a projectile and (h) its maximum height prove that the initial velocity is:
    [tex] \sqrt{(2g(h+\frac{R^2}{16h}))} [\tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]R=\frac{v_0^2 sin(2\theta)}{g}[\tex]
    [tex]h=\frac{v_0^2 sin^2(\theta)}{2g}[\tex]
    [tex]v_y = v_0-g t [\tex]
    [tex]x=v_0 cos(\theta)\times t [\tex]
    [tex]y=v_0 sin(\theta) t-\frac {1}{2}gt^2[\tex]
    [tex]v^2=v_0^2-2gy[\tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to put the equations of (R and h) in the given equation for initial velocity,and it did work but the problem is i don't think this method is acceptable in exams. And then I tired to start at the end by squaring both sides of the initial velocity equation and then moving ( 2gh) to the other side of the equation, which gives this:
    [tex] V_0^2-2gh=\frac {2gR^2}{16h} [\tex]
    but this got me nowhere, then i tried to combine the other equations but this attempt was also futile.

I think that i need to remove the trigonometric functions somehow but i don't know how, and i'm hoping for some hint or something to help me move toward solving this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2014 #2
    use /tex instead of \tex.

4. Apr 25, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Allow me...

5. Apr 25, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I agree that your R and h equations are probably not acceptable starting points.
    Your general SUVAT equations are:
    [itex]x=v_0 cos(\theta) t [/itex]
    [itex]y=v_0 sin(\theta) t-\frac {1}{2}gt^2[/itex]
    You don't care about time, so eliminate t to arrive at one equation.
    Now consider the co-ordinates at two places: max height and landing. What are x and y at those points? What equations do they give you?

6. Apr 25, 2014 #5
    Thank you both
    I figured it out, what i had to do was to use the components of [tex] v_0 [/tex] to find it's magnitude:
    [tex] v_0^2=v_0^2sin^2(\theta)+v_0^2cos^2(\theta) [/tex]
    from the equation of h it is clear that: [tex] v_0^2sin^2(\theta)=2gh [/tex]
    Next i replaced [tex] sin(2\theta) [/tex] in R equation by [tex] 2cos(\theta)sin(\theta) [/tex] then i squared it and replaced [tex] sin^2(\theta) [/tex] by [tex] \frac{2gh}{v_0^2} [/tex]
    and then i put it all in place of [tex] v_0^2cos^2(\theta) [/tex] and the equation was proved.
    Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted