Prove this equation of initial velocity in projectile motion

In summary, to solve for the initial velocity of a projectile, you need to use the equation of R, which is \frac{v_0^2 sin(2\theta)}{g} , and the equation of h, which is \frac{v_0^2 sin^2(\theta)}{2g} . The magnitude of v_0^2 is found by taking the components v_0^2sin^2(\theta) and v_0^2cos^2(\theta) and solving for v_0^2. The equation of h is then replaced by 2cos(\theta)sin(\theta) and the equation for
rawezh
Hi every one

Homework Statement

If (R) is to be the horizontal range of a projectile and (h) its maximum height prove that the initial velocity is:
[tex] \sqrt{(2g(h+\frac{R^2}{16h}))} [\tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]R=\frac{v_0^2 sin(2\theta)}{g}[\tex]
[tex]h=\frac{v_0^2 sin^2(\theta)}{2g}[\tex]
[tex]v_y = v_0-g t [\tex]
[tex]x=v_0 cos(\theta)\times t [\tex]
[tex]y=v_0 sin(\theta) t-\frac {1}{2}gt^2[\tex]
[tex]v^2=v_0^2-2gy[\tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to put the equations of (R and h) in the given equation for initial velocity,and it did work but the problem is i don't think this method is acceptable in exams. And then I tired to start at the end by squaring both sides of the initial velocity equation and then moving ( 2gh) to the other side of the equation, which gives this:
[tex] V_0^2-2gh=\frac {2gR^2}{16h} [\tex]
but this got me nowhere, then i tried to combine the other equations but this attempt was also futile.

I think that i need to remove the trigonometric functions somehow but i don't know how, and I'm hoping for some hint or something to help me move toward solving this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
use /tex instead of \tex.

Likes 1 person
Allow me...
rawezh said:
Hi every one

Homework Statement

If (R) is to be the horizontal range of a projectile and (h) its maximum height prove that the initial velocity is:
[tex] \sqrt{(2g(h+\frac{R^2}{16h}))} [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]R=\frac{v_0^2 sin(2\theta)}{g}[/tex]
[tex]h=\frac{v_0^2 sin^2(\theta)}{2g}[/tex]
[tex]v_y = v_0-g t [/tex]
[tex]x=v_0 cos(\theta)\times t [/tex]
[tex]y=v_0 sin(\theta) t-\frac {1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
[tex]v^2=v_0^2-2gy[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to put the equations of (R and h) in the given equation for initial velocity,and it did work but the problem is i don't think this method is acceptable in exams. And then I tired to start at the end by squaring both sides of the initial velocity equation and then moving ( 2gh) to the other side of the equation, which gives this:
[tex] V_0^2-2gh=\frac {2gR^2}{16h} [/tex]
but this got me nowhere, then i tried to combine the other equations but this attempt was also futile.

I think that i need to remove the trigonometric functions somehow but i don't know how, and I'm hoping for some hint or something to help me move toward solving this problem.

I agree that your R and h equations are probably not acceptable starting points.
Your general SUVAT equations are:
[itex]x=v_0 cos(\theta) t [/itex]
[itex]y=v_0 sin(\theta) t-\frac {1}{2}gt^2[/itex]
You don't care about time, so eliminate t to arrive at one equation.
Now consider the co-ordinates at two places: max height and landing. What are x and y at those points? What equations do they give you?

Likes 1 person
Thank you both
I figured it out, what i had to do was to use the components of [tex] v_0 [/tex] to find it's magnitude:
[tex] v_0^2=v_0^2sin^2(\theta)+v_0^2cos^2(\theta) [/tex]
from the equation of h it is clear that: [tex] v_0^2sin^2(\theta)=2gh [/tex]
Next i replaced [tex] sin(2\theta) [/tex] in R equation by [tex] 2cos(\theta)sin(\theta) [/tex] then i squared it and replaced [tex] sin^2(\theta) [/tex] by [tex] \frac{2gh}{v_0^2} [/tex]
and then i put it all in place of [tex] v_0^2cos^2(\theta) [/tex] and the equation was proved.
Thanks again

1. What is the equation for initial velocity in projectile motion?

The equation for initial velocity in projectile motion is v0 = vx0 + vy0, where v0 is the initial velocity, vx0 is the initial velocity in the x-direction, and vy0 is the initial velocity in the y-direction.

2. How is the initial velocity in projectile motion calculated?

The initial velocity in projectile motion can be calculated by using the equation v0 = √(vx02 + vy02), where vx0 and vy0 are the initial velocities in the x-direction and y-direction, respectively.

3. What is the significance of initial velocity in projectile motion?

The initial velocity in projectile motion is important because it determines the direction and speed at which an object will travel. It also affects the trajectory and range of the projectile.

4. Can the initial velocity in projectile motion be negative?

Yes, the initial velocity in projectile motion can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive axis.

5. How does air resistance affect the initial velocity in projectile motion?

Air resistance can decrease the initial velocity in projectile motion, as it acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion and slows it down. This can affect the range and trajectory of the projectile.