Proving a a pitchfork bifurcation: modified swift-hohenberg

In summary, the conversation discusses solving question 4.12 from Cross and Greenside's "Pattern Formation and Dynamics in Nonequilibrium Systems". The question involves finding the bifurcation character and calculating a_1 to lowest order in r using the ansatz u=\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n cos(nx). The bifurcation is for g_2\neq 0 and it is necessary to evaluate \left[ \sum_{n=0} ^\infty a_n cos(nx)\right]^M for M=2,3. The conversation also mentions the trivial solution u=0 and linear stability analysis for r<0 and r>0. The goal is to find a set of
onanox
I'm trying to solve question 4.12 from Cross and Greenside "pattern formation and dynamics in nonequilibrium systems".

the question is about the equation

[itex] \partial_t u = r u - (\partial_x ^2 +1)^2 u - g_2 u - u^3 [/itex]
Part A: with the ansatz [itex]u=\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n cos(nx) [/itex] show that the bifurcation retains its pitchfork character and calculate [itex]a_1[/itex] to lowest order in [itex]r[/itex].

Part B: Find a condition on [itex]g_2[/itex] for the bifurcation to be supercritical

Background: The swift-hohenberg equation ([itex]g_2=0[/itex]) has a uniform solution for [itex]r<0[/itex] and undergoes a pitchfork bifurcation when [itex]r>0[/itex] to a stationary nonlinear striped state. The question is asking about generalizing this for [itex]g_2\neq 0[/itex].

Attempt at solution: I tried plugging in the ansatz into the equation and requiring that [itex]\partial_t=0[/itex] to find a stationary state, but got caught up in evaluating [itex]\left[\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n cos(nx) \right]^2[/itex]. I tried looking back to see how the bifurcation was analyzed in the [itex]g_2=0[/itex] case, and there, we assume a single Fourier mode, find an amplitude equation and its easy to deduce that [itex]|A|\propto |r|^{1/2}[/itex] giving the pitchfork bifurcation.

I think I'm supposed to derive a similar relationship for [itex]a_1[/itex], but I don't know how to evaluate the square and cube of that infinite sum.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Yes, coming back to it I worded in a confusing way. Let me try to clear it up.

The equation has the trivial solution [itex] u=0 [/itex]. If you linearize the equation, you find that for [itex]r<0[/itex] this solution is linearly stable, its linearly unstable for [itex]r>0[/itex]. The question concerns the form of this bifurcation. For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitchfork_bifurcationI think I need to find some set of equations for the [itex]a_i[/itex], and show that there are two solutions (pitchfork) only when the trivial solution is unstable. But I don't know how to solve that. Effectively, the problem is reduced to evaluating [itex]\left[ \sum_{n=0} ^\infty a_n cos(nx)\right]^M[/itex] for [itex]M=2,3[/itex]

Last edited:

1. What is a pitchfork bifurcation?

A pitchfork bifurcation is a type of bifurcation, or sudden change in behavior, that can occur in dynamical systems. It is characterized by a change in the stability of a steady-state solution as a parameter of the system is varied. In the case of a pitchfork bifurcation, a stable steady-state solution splits into two stable solutions and one unstable solution as the parameter crosses a critical value.

2. What is the Swift-Hohenberg equation?

The Swift-Hohenberg equation is a partial differential equation commonly used to model pattern formation in physical and biological systems. It takes the form of a nonlinear reaction-diffusion equation and includes a control parameter that can lead to bifurcations, including pitchfork bifurcations.

3. How can a pitchfork bifurcation be proven in the Swift-Hohenberg equation?

A pitchfork bifurcation in the Swift-Hohenberg equation can be proven by analyzing the stability of the steady-state solutions using linear stability analysis. This involves linearizing the equation around the steady-state solution and determining the eigenvalues of the resulting linear system. If the eigenvalues change sign at a critical parameter value, a pitchfork bifurcation is present.

4. What is a modified Swift-Hohenberg equation?

A modified Swift-Hohenberg equation is a variation of the original equation that includes additional terms or parameters to better capture the behavior of a specific system. This can include terms that account for external forcing or spatial heterogeneity. The modified equation may still exhibit pitchfork bifurcations, but the critical parameter value and resulting bifurcation behavior may differ from the original equation.

5. How can the results of a pitchfork bifurcation analysis be verified?

The results of a pitchfork bifurcation analysis can be verified through numerical simulations and experimental observations. By changing the control parameter and observing the behavior of the system, one can confirm the presence of a pitchfork bifurcation and compare the results to the predictions from the analysis. Additionally, the results can be compared to other theoretical predictions and simulations using different methods to ensure accuracy and validity.