Proving arcsin(somevalue) = 2arctan(rootx) - value

• Thread starter montana111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the problem is to prove the identity arcsin(x-1/x+1) = 2 * arctan(sqrt(x)) - pi/2 using the fact that if f'x = g'x for all x in an interval (a,b), then f - g is constant on (a,b). The derivatives of arcsin(x-1/x+1) and 2arctan(sqrt(x)) are 1/(sqrt(x) * (x+1)) and 1/(1+x) * 1/(2*sqrt(x)), respectively. The chain rule was not correctly applied in the attempt at a solution, but with simplification, both derivatives can be simplified to the same expression.
montana111

Homework Statement

prove the identity:

arcsin( x-1/x+1 ) = 2 * arctan( sqrt(x) ) - pi/2

Homework Equations

if f'x = g'x for all x in an interval (a,b) then f - g is constant on (a,b); that is, fx = gx + c where c is constant.

this material above is in the same section as rolles thm and the mean value thm if that helps at all.

The Attempt at a Solution

Im assuming that i use arcsin(value) as fx and 2arctan(value) as gx and verify that their derivatives are equal, however i can't seem to do this. this is what i got... :

d/dx arcsin( x-1/x+1 ) = 1/( sqrt( 1 - ( x-1/x+1 )^2 ) ) * ( x+1 - x-1 / ( x+1 )^2

and

d/dx 2arctan(sqrt( x) ) = 2/(1+ sqrt(x^2)) * 1/(2 * sqrt(x)) = 2/(1+x) * 1/(2 * sqrt(x) )

my real questions here is what are the real derivatives of these two functions and can someone please right down the solution to that explicitly so i am not confused, THANK YOU PHYSICS FORUMS MEMBERS.

Physics news on Phys.org
montana111 said:

Homework Statement

prove the identity:

arcsin( x-1/x+1 ) = 2 * arctan( sqrt(x) ) - pi/2

Homework Equations

if f'x = g'x for all x in an interval (a,b) then f - g is constant on (a,b); that is, fx = gx + c where c is constant.

this material above is in the same section as rolles thm and the mean value thm if that helps at all.

The Attempt at a Solution

Im assuming that i use arcsin(value) as fx and 2arctan(value) as gx and verify that their derivatives are equal, however i can't seem to do this. this is what i got... :

d/dx arcsin( x-1/x+1 ) = 1/( sqrt( 1 - ( x-1/x+1 )^2 ) ) * ( x+1 - x-1 / ( x+1 )^2

You didn't get the chain rule part quite right in the work above.
d/dx arcsin( x-1/x+1 ) = 1/( sqrt( 1 - ( x-1/x+1 )^2 ) ) * ( x+1 - x+1) / ( x+1 )^2
I fixed an incorrect sign right here --------------------------------^
There's a lot of simplification that you can do, to get it to 1/(sqrt(x) * (x + 1)), which is the same as what you get in the next part.
montana111 said:
and

d/dx 2arctan(sqrt( x) ) = 2/(1+ sqrt(x^2)) * 1/(2 * sqrt(x)) = 2/(1+x) * 1/(2 * sqrt(x) )

my real questions here is what are the real derivatives of these two functions and can someone please right down the solution to that explicitly so i am not confused, THANK YOU PHYSICS FORUMS MEMBERS.

1. How do you prove that arcsin(somevalue) = 2arctan(rootx) - value?

To prove this, we can use the trigonometric identity sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x). By substituting arcsin(somevalue) for x, we get sin(2arcsin(somevalue)) = 2sin(arcsin(somevalue))cos(arcsin(somevalue)). This can be simplified to 2somevaluecos(arcsin(somevalue)) = somevalue. Using the Pythagorean identity, we know that cos(arcsin(somevalue)) = √(1-somevalue^2). Substituting this back into the equation, we get 2somevalue√(1-somevalue^2) = somevalue. Simplifying further, we get somevalue = somevalue, proving the original statement.

2. Can this equation be used for any value of x?

This equation is only valid for x between -1 and 1, as arcsin(somevalue) is only defined for values between -1 and 1. For values outside of this range, the equation is not valid.

3. How does this equation relate to the unit circle?

The unit circle can be used to visualize the relationship between the trigonometric functions. In this equation, arcsin(somevalue) represents the angle whose sine is equal to somevalue, while arctan(rootx) represents the angle whose tangent is equal to rootx. By using the unit circle, we can see that the angle whose sine is equal to somevalue is equal to the angle whose tangent is equal to rootx divided by 2, hence proving the equation.

4. Are there any other ways to prove this equation?

Yes, there are other ways to prove this equation. One method is to use the definition of inverse trigonometric functions and solve for the angles using right triangles. Another method is to use calculus and take the derivative of both sides of the equation to show that they are equal.

5. How is this equation used in real-world applications?

This equation is commonly used in physics and engineering, specifically in problems involving angles and trigonometric functions. It can also be used in navigation and surveying to determine angles and distances. In addition, this equation has applications in computer graphics and animation to create smooth and realistic movement.