1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving arcsin(somevalue) = 2arctan(rootx) - value

1. Mar 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

prove the identity:

arcsin( x-1/x+1 ) = 2 * arctan( sqrt(x) ) - pi/2

2. Relevant equations
    if f'x = g'x for all x in an interval (a,b) then f - g is constant on (a,b); that is, fx = gx + c where c is constant.

this material above is in the same section as rolles thm and the mean value thm if that helps at all.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Im assuming that i use arcsin(value) as fx and 2arctan(value) as gx and verify that their derivatives are equal, however i cant seem to do this. this is what i got... :

d/dx arcsin( x-1/x+1 ) = 1/( sqrt( 1 - ( x-1/x+1 )^2 ) ) * ( x+1 - x-1 / ( x+1 )^2

and

d/dx 2arctan(sqrt( x) ) = 2/(1+ sqrt(x^2)) * 1/(2 * sqrt(x)) = 2/(1+x) * 1/(2 * sqrt(x) )

my real questions here is what are the real derivatives of these two functions and can someone please right down the solution to that explicitly so i am not confused, THANK YOU PHYSICS FORUMS MEMBERS.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You didn't get the chain rule part quite right in the work above.
    d/dx arcsin( x-1/x+1 ) = 1/( sqrt( 1 - ( x-1/x+1 )^2 ) ) * ( x+1 - x+1) / ( x+1 )^2
    I fixed an incorrect sign right here --------------------------------^
    There's a lot of simplification that you can do, to get it to 1/(sqrt(x) * (x + 1)), which is the same as what you get in the next part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook