Proving c in Special Relativity

In summary: Finding the angle between a headlight and an observer from a moving starshipIn summary, an astronomer on a starship moving at a speed v away from Earth in the x direction would see a headlight blast from the starship at an angle (phi)'.
kahless2005
I have a starship moving at a speed v, which is larger than .5c, away from Earth in the x direction. A blast of its phaser banks (assume highly focused light) travels at an angle (phi)'.

From this I need to prove that an astronomer who observes the phaser blast moves at a speed of c, the speed of light.

I have it worked out that the angular velocity of the phaser blast from the starship in the x direction is v'sub(x) = c * cos ((phi)') and in the y direction is v'sub(y) = c * sin((phi)').

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I have some more work to the problem. I found that the velocity function in the x direction is vsub(x) = (v'sub(x) + u) / (1 + (u* v'sub(x)/c)) and that works out to be:
(c * cos ((phi)') + u) / ( 1 + u * cos((phi)'))

Now what?

kahless2005 said:
I have a starship moving at a speed v, which is larger than .5c, away from Earth in the x direction. A blast of its phaser banks (assume highly focused light) travels at an angle (phi)'.

From this I need to prove that an astronomer who observes the phaser blast moves at a speed of c, the speed of light.

I have it worked out that the angular velocity of the phaser blast from the starship in the x direction is v'sub(x) = c * cos ((phi)') and in the y direction is v'sub(y) = c * sin((phi)').

Any help would be appreciated!
If this is intended as an exercise in using the Lorentz transformations, it is somewhat circular. The Lorentz transformations are based on the principle that the speed of light is c in all inertial frames of reference.

Here you have a light pulse fired from a moving observer, so we know on principle that the speed of light relative to all observers will be c.

What is more interesting is to work out the angle that the phasor pulse will have relative to the Earth observer. It will be less than [itex]\phi[/itex].

AM

Proving c in Special Relativity or Corbomite Manuevar

Thanks Andrew

Then next step has the phaser banks replaced by a light source.

Now I am assuming that the light source radiates in all directions in the starship's frame of reference. And this I assume denotes grounds for the headlight effect for the astronomer's frame of reference.

The problem now asks me to find [itex]\phi[/itex]naught on Earth.

I already have found the equation:
cos([itex]\phi[/itex]) = (cos([itex]\phi[/itex]')+ u/c) / (1 + (u* cos([itex]\phi[/itex]')/c))

Do I simply solve for [itex]\phi[/itex], or is there some equation for headlight effects? My book and my notes only have a mention of headlight effect, that I can find.

kahless2005 said:
Thanks Andrew

Then next step has the phaser banks replaced by a light source.

Now I am assuming that the light source radiates in all directions in the starship's frame of reference. And this I assume denotes grounds for the headlight effect for the astronomer's frame of reference.

The problem now asks me to find [itex]\phi[/itex]naught on Earth.

I already have found the equation:
cos([itex]\phi[/itex]) = (cos([itex]\phi[/itex]')+ u/c) / (1 + (u* cos([itex]\phi[/itex]')/c))

Do I simply solve for [itex]\phi[/itex], or is there some equation for headlight effects? My book and my notes only have a mention of headlight effect, that I can find.
Think of the perceived angle as proportional to the ratio of speed in the y direction to speed in the x direction (accurate only for small angles):

[tex]\phi ' \approx \frac{\frac{dy'}{dt'}}{\frac{dx'}{dt'}}[/tex]

[tex]\phi \approx \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}[/tex]

Since dy'/dt' = dy/dt, the ratio of angles is:

[tex]\phi ' / \phi \approx \frac{\frac{dx}{dt}}{\frac{dx'}{dt'}} = \frac{1}{\gamma}[/tex]

AM

1. What is the significance of proving c in Special Relativity?

The speed of light, denoted by c, plays a crucial role in the theory of Special Relativity. Proving the constancy of c in all frames of reference helps to explain the observed phenomena of time dilation and length contraction, and lays the foundation for many other principles in modern physics.

2. How was the speed of light first measured and determined to be constant?

The speed of light was first measured by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in the 17th century using observations of the moons of Jupiter. However, it was not until the late 19th and early 20th centuries that scientists accurately measured the speed of light and determined it to be a constant value, independent of the observer's frame of reference.

3. What is the experimental evidence for the constancy of c in Special Relativity?

One of the most famous experiments that supports the constancy of c is the Michelson-Morley experiment, which attempted to detect the motion of the Earth through the hypothetical "ether" medium. The results of this experiment were consistent with the idea that the speed of light is the same in all frames of reference. Additionally, various other experiments, such as the Kennedy-Thorndike experiment and the Ives-Stilwell experiment, have also confirmed the constancy of c.

4. How does the constancy of c affect our understanding of time and space in Special Relativity?

In Special Relativity, time and space are no longer absolute concepts, but are instead relative to the observer's frame of reference. The constancy of c means that the speed of light is always the same, regardless of the observer's motion. This leads to the concepts of time dilation and length contraction, where time and space are perceived differently by observers in different frames of reference.

5. Are there any exceptions to the constancy of c in Special Relativity?

So far, all experimental evidence supports the constancy of c in Special Relativity. However, some theories, such as string theory, propose the existence of extra dimensions where the speed of light may be different. However, these theories have not been fully tested and remain speculative. In the framework of Special Relativity, c is considered a universal constant.