1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Characteristics of Projections

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1
    Can anyone think of a trivial proof for the fact that the projection of any polynomial onto the xy-plane itself gives a polynomial? My professor and I were speculating about this, but could not discover a trivial proof for the fact. Does such a thing exist?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, it would help if you would explain what you are talking about. A "polynomial" is not a geometric figure and so has no "projection". Do you mean the graph of a polynomial in x, y, and z.

4. Nov 11, 2011 #3
    Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

5. Nov 11, 2011 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

I am not sure I understand: you have , I guess, a polynomial P(x,y,z) . Then evaluate P(x,y,0). This is a polynomial in (x,y).

6. Nov 11, 2011 #5
    But a projection onto the xy-plane isn't the same as letting the z-coordinate equal zero. It may even be that the polynomial doesn't intersect with the xy-plane.

7. Nov 11, 2011 #6

Bacle2

Science Advisor

I'm sorry, it may be just me, but I'm not sure I understand your layout. Maybe a formal definition and/or some examples may help, if you could provide them. I understand, e.g., the projection of the unit sphere x2+y2+z=1 into the xy-plane to be the circle x2+y2=1 , but I don't understand well what you're doing.

8. Nov 12, 2011 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, the projection of the unit sphere, [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 1[/itex] onto the xy-plane is NOT the circle, [itex]x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex]. It is the disk [itex]x^2+ y^2\le 1[/itex]. That is NOT a polynomial function, it is not even a function.

The only interpretation I can put on this, so that it is true, is that a polynomial path in three dimensions, given by parametric equations, x= p(t), y= q(t), z= r(t), where p, q, and r are polynomials, projected to the xy-plane, which would indeed be x= p(t), y= q(t), z= 0, is a polynomial path in the xy-plane since p and q are still polynomials.

9. Nov 13, 2011 #8

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Yes, my bad, H of Ivy, i was obviously wrong, I was thinking about something else, also trying to make sense of the OP.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook