Proving Characteristics of Projections

• Thread starter TranscendArcu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projections
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of projecting a polynomial onto the xy-plane and whether it results in a polynomial function. There is confusion about the definition and examples of this projection, and the only interpretation that is agreed upon is that a polynomial path in 3 dimensions projected onto the xy-plane remains a polynomial function.
TranscendArcu
Can anyone think of a trivial proof for the fact that the projection of any polynomial onto the xy-plane itself gives a polynomial? My professor and I were speculating about this, but could not discover a trivial proof for the fact. Does such a thing exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, it would help if you would explain what you are talking about. A "polynomial" is not a geometric figure and so has no "projection". Do you mean the graph of a polynomial in x, y, and z.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

I am not sure I understand: you have , I guess, a polynomial P(x,y,z) . Then evaluate P(x,y,0). This is a polynomial in (x,y).

But a projection onto the xy-plane isn't the same as letting the z-coordinate equal zero. It may even be that the polynomial doesn't intersect with the xy-plane.

I'm sorry, it may be just me, but I'm not sure I understand your layout. Maybe a formal definition and/or some examples may help, if you could provide them. I understand, e.g., the projection of the unit sphere x2+y2+z=1 into the xy-plane to be the circle x2+y2=1 , but I don't understand well what you're doing.

No, the projection of the unit sphere, [itex]x^2+ y^2+ z^2= 1[/itex] onto the xy-plane is NOT the circle, [itex]x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex]. It is the disk [itex]x^2+ y^2\le 1[/itex]. That is NOT a polynomial function, it is not even a function.

The only interpretation I can put on this, so that it is true, is that a polynomial path in three dimensions, given by parametric equations, x= p(t), y= q(t), z= r(t), where p, q, and r are polynomials, projected to the xy-plane, which would indeed be x= p(t), y= q(t), z= 0, is a polynomial path in the xy-plane since p and q are still polynomials.

Yes, my bad, H of Ivy, i was obviously wrong, I was thinking about something else, also trying to make sense of the OP.

1. What is the purpose of proving characteristics of projections?

The purpose of proving characteristics of projections is to ensure the accuracy and validity of a projection. By proving the characteristics, we can determine if the projection accurately represents the data and if it is a reliable source of information.

2. What are the common characteristics that are proven in a projection?

The common characteristics that are proven in a projection include accuracy, precision, completeness, consistency, and reliability. Accuracy refers to how closely the projection matches the actual data. Precision refers to the level of detail and specificity in the projection. Completeness refers to the inclusion of all relevant data in the projection. Consistency refers to the stability and predictability of the projection over time. Reliability refers to the consistency of the projection across different data sources and methods.

3. How is accuracy determined in a projection?

Accuracy in a projection is determined by comparing the projected values to the actual values. This can be done through statistical analysis or by visually comparing the data. A projection with a low margin of error and a close match to the actual data can be considered accurate.

4. What methods are used to prove the consistency of a projection?

The consistency of a projection can be proven through various methods such as sensitivity analysis, historical data comparison, and cross-validation. Sensitivity analysis involves testing the projection with different assumptions and variables to see if the results remain consistent. Historical data comparison involves comparing the projection to past data to see if it follows a similar trend. Cross-validation involves using different data sources or methods to see if the projection remains consistent.

5. How can the reliability of a projection be determined?

The reliability of a projection can be determined by conducting a peer review, which involves having other scientists or experts review the projection and provide feedback. Additionally, using multiple data sources and methods to create the projection and comparing the results can also help determine its reliability. A reliable projection should have consistent and similar results across different sources and methods.