Proving f is a Constant Function: A Mathematical Investigation

In summary, the conversation is about proving that a function f is a constant function given the condition |f(x)-f(y)|<=(x-y)^2 for all real numbers x and y. The conversation discusses different approaches, including a popular one using derivatives, but also mentions an alternative method using mathematical induction. The conversation ends with the suggestion that there are multiple ways to prove the statement.
~Sam~

Homework Statement

Suppose that |f (x) - f (y)|  (x-y)^2 for all real numbers x and y: Prove
that f is a constant function.

Homework Equations

No relevant equations..

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really stuck..i'm thinking you're suppose to use mathematical induction.?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show that |f(x)-f(y)|<=(x-y)^2 for all x and y implies that f is differentiable, and that it's derivative equals zero everywhere?

Dick's approach is popular, but I never liked it. I do not think this problem merits the use of the derivative. I like to show inductively that
|f(x)-f(y)|<=(x-y)^2 implies
|f(x)-f(y)|<=(x-y)^2/2^n for any natural number n from which the result is obvious.
hint
|f(x)-f(y)|=|[f(x)-f((x+y)/2]+[f((x+y)/2)-f(y)]|<=|f(x)-f((x+y)/2|+|f((x+y)/2)-f(y)|

lurflurf said:
Dick's approach is popular, but I never liked it. I do not think this problem merits the use of the derivative. I like to show inductively that
|f(x)-f(y)|<=(x-y)^2 implies
|f(x)-f(y)|<=(x-y)^2/2^n for any natural number n from which the result is obvious.
hint
|f(x)-f(y)|=|[f(x)-f((x+y)/2]+[f((x+y)/2)-f(y)]|<=|f(x)-f((x+y)/2|+|f((x+y)/2)-f(y)|

That is a nice alternative approach. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

1. What is a constant function?

A constant function is a mathematical function where the output value is the same for every input value. In other words, the function does not change or vary with different input values.

2. How is a constant function different from other types of functions?

A constant function is different from other types of functions because it always produces the same output value regardless of the input value. Other types of functions may have different output values for different input values.

3. How do you prove that a function is constant?

To prove that a function is constant, you must show that the output value is the same for every input value. This can be done by evaluating the function for different input values and showing that the output remains constant.

4. What is the significance of proving that a function is constant?

Proving that a function is constant can be useful in many mathematical applications. It can help simplify equations and make it easier to solve problems involving the function. It can also provide insights into the behavior of the function and its relationship to other functions.

5. Can a function be both constant and non-constant?

No, a function cannot be both constant and non-constant. A function is either constant, meaning it produces the same output for every input, or it is non-constant, meaning it produces different outputs for different inputs. It cannot be both at the same time.