Proving Integral of Arcsech x using Integration by Parts

• Thread starter sooyong94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, the definite integral represents the area below the y = arcsech(x) graph which is between x = 4/5 and x = 1 . Notice that arcsech(4/5) = ln(2) .
sooyong94

Homework Statement

I was asked to prove the integral

##\int_{\frac{4}{5}}^{1} \textrm{arcsech}(x) =2\arctan 2-\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{4}{5} \ln 2##

Homework Equations

Integration by parts

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##u=\textrm{arcsech} (x)##
##\textrm{sech u}=x##
##\textrm{cosh u}=\frac{1}{x}##
Differentiating implicitly,

##\textrm{sinh u} \frac{du}{dx}=\frac{-1}{x^{2}}##
##\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{-1}{x^{2}\textrm{sinh u}}##

Then I simplify it into
##\frac{-1}{x\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}##

Let ##\frac{dv}{dx}=1##

##v=x##

Using integration by parts and evaluating the integral, I got
##\frac{\pi}{2}-\sin^{-1} \frac{4}{5} -\frac{4}{5} \ln 2##

Which is numerically correct. But how do I obtain ##2\tan^{-1} 2 ## as shown in the question above?

Physics news on Phys.org
sooyong94 said:

Homework Statement

I was asked to prove the integral

##\int_{\frac{4}{5}}^{1} \textrm{arcsech}(x) =2\arctan 2-\frac{\pi}{2}-\frac{4}{5} \ln 2##

Homework Equations

Integration by parts

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##u=\textrm{arcsech} (x)##
##\textrm{sech u}=x##
##\textrm{cosh u}=\frac{1}{x}##
Differentiating implicitly,

##\textrm{sinh u} \frac{du}{dx}=\frac{-1}{x^{2}}##
##\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{-1}{x^{2}\textrm{sinh u}}##

Then I simplify it into
##\frac{-1}{x\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}##

Let ##\frac{dv}{dx}=1##

##v=x##

Using integration by parts and evaluating the integral, I got
##\frac{\pi}{2}-\sin^{-1} \frac{4}{5} -\frac{4}{5} \ln 2##

Which is numerically correct. But how do I obtain ##2\tan^{-1} 2 ## as shown in the question above?

Draw the standard 3-4-5 right triangle. Observe that ##\frac{\pi}{2}-\sin^{-1} \frac{4}{5} = \tan^{-1}\frac{3}{4}##.

You now have to get ##\tan^{-1}\frac{3}{4}## into something with ##\tan^{-1}2## in it.

I found this a little tricky. The best solution I could find was to let:

##\tan^{-1}\frac{3}{4} = x## so ##\tan x = \frac{3}{4}##

Then let x = 2y so that ##\tan 2y = \frac{3}{4}##

Solve for y in the form ##y = \tan^{-1}z##, where z is something you have to find. Only one value is admissible. Express x as 2y = ##2\tan^{-1}z.##

Now observe that ##\frac{1 + \tan w}{1 - \tan w} = \tan(w + \frac{\pi}{4})##. Use that to find an alternative form for ##\tan^{-1}z##, which will allow you to find x, in the form you need.

There might be a simpler way (indeed, it might start with an alternative solution of the integral), but I can't immediately find one.

Last edited:
To show the answers are the same, you have to show ##2 \tan^{-1} 2 + \sin^{-1}\displaystyle\frac 4 5 = \pi##.

From a 3-4-5 triangle, ##\sin^{-1}\displaystyle\frac 4 5 = \tan^{-1}\displaystyle\frac 4 3##.

From ##\tan^{-1}a + \tan^{-1}b = \tan^{-1}\displaystyle\frac{a+b}{1-ab}##,

##2 \tan^{-1} 2 = \tan^{-1}\displaystyle\frac {-4} 3 = \pi - \tan^{-1}\displaystyle\frac 4 3##.

QED.

AlephZero said:
To show the answers are the same, you have to show ##2 \tan^{-1} 2 + \sin^{-1}\displaystyle\frac 4 5 = \pi##.

From a 3-4-5 triangle, ##\sin^{-1}\displaystyle\frac 4 5 = \tan^{-1}\displaystyle\frac 4 3##.

From ##\tan^{-1}a + \tan^{-1}b = \tan^{-1}\displaystyle\frac{a+b}{1-ab}##,

##2 \tan^{-1} 2 = \tan^{-1}\displaystyle\frac {-4} 3 = \pi - \tan^{-1}\displaystyle\frac 4 3##.

QED.

I don't get it, but why

I think the equalities should be $$2 \tan^{-1} 2 = \tan^{-1} \left(-\frac{4}{3}\right) + \pi = \pi - \tan^{-1} \left(\frac{4}{3}\right)$$

Using Alephzero's formula with ##a=b## gives $$\tan(\tan^{-1} 2 + \tan^{-1} 2) = -\frac{4}{3} \Rightarrow 2\tan^{-1} 2 = \tan^{-1} \left(-\frac{4}{3}\right) + \pi$$

Compare the graphs of ##\ y=\text{arcsech}(x) \ ## and ## y=\text{sech}(x)\ .##

Integrate ## y=\text{sech}(x)\ ## to get an area related to that given by integrating ##\ y=\text{arcsech}(x) \ .##

You will have to subtract the area of some rectangle.

SammyS said:
Compare the graphs of ##\ y=\text{arcsech}(x) \ ## and ## y=\text{sech}(x)\ .##

Integrate ## y=\text{sech}(x)\ ## to get an area related to that given by integrating ##\ y=\text{arcsech}(x) \ .##

You will have to subtract the area of some rectangle.

I plotted two graphs and yet I can't figure it out... :(
Capture.jpg

sooyong94 said:
I plotted two graphs and yet I can't figure it out... :(
attachment.php?attachmentid=70013&stc=1&d=1400850787.jpg

The definite integral you are evaluating represents the area below the y = arcsech(x) graph which is between x = 4/5 and x = 1 . Notice that arcsech(4/5) = ln(2) .

That is the same as the area below the y = sech(x) graph and above y = 4/5, for x ≥ 0. Right?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 603

Related to Proving Integral of Arcsech x using Integration by Parts

1. What is the definition of arcsech x?

Arcsech x, also known as the inverse hyperbolic secant function, is the inverse of the hyperbolic secant function. It is denoted as arcsech x = ln[(1+√(1-x^2))/x], where x is a real number between -1 and 1.

2. What is the domain and range of arcsech x?

The domain of arcsech x is the set of real numbers between -1 and 1, excluding 0. The range of arcsech x is the set of real numbers between 0 and infinity.

3. How is the graph of arcsech x related to the graph of sech x?

The graph of arcsech x is the reflection of the graph of sech x about the line y = x. This means that the inverse of each point on the sech x graph is reflected across the line y = x to create the corresponding point on the arcsech x graph.

4. What is the derivative of arcsech x?

The derivative of arcsech x is given by the formula d/dx(arcsech x) = 1/(x√(x^2-1)).

5. How is arcsech x used in real-world applications?

Arcsech x is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics to model various phenomena. It can also be used to solve equations involving hyperbolic functions, and in the calculation of integrals and derivatives.