Proving Invertibility of A^TA with Linearly Independent Columns

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in Linear Algebra where the goal is to show that A^TA is invertible given that A is an m x n matrix with linearly independent columns. Different approaches are suggested, including considering the size of the matrix and using column operations to simplify the problem. It is also mentioned that this topic is typically taught beyond calculus and it is recommended to post the question in a different forum.
eunhye732
Linear Algebra PLS HELP!

I need help on this problem and been trying to figure it out for awhile.
Let A be an m x n matrix with linearly independent columns. Show that A^TA is invertible.
anything will help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you meant [tex]A^tA[/tex]? Anyway, consider the size of that matrix to begin with, that's over half the solution right there. Ah and for future reference, maybe you should post questions like this in the other homework help forum since Linear Algebra is typically taught beyond calculus. Maybe there are some people who exclusively look in that thread to answer problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the rank of A? What is the rank of A^tA?

I'm feeling stupid right now. Disregard my earlier suggestions--while they do work eventually, they are more trouble than they are worth. A good way to approach this problem is by considering what would happen if one of the columns of the product was a linear combination of the other columns, writing out what that would mean, and proceeding to a contradiction.

Disregard my earlier suggestions--while they do work eventually, they are more trouble than they are worth.
I don't think they're bad. I think you can make the problem much simpler by doing column operations to write A = A'C where C is the matrix representing the column operations, and A' is of a special form. Of course, it means you have to pick a good special form, but hey! Math is an art. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Related to Proving Invertibility of A^TA with Linearly Independent Columns

What does it mean to prove invertibility of A^TA?

Proving invertibility of A^TA means showing that the matrix A^TA has an inverse, meaning that it can be multiplied by another matrix to give the identity matrix. This is important in linear algebra because an invertible matrix has many useful properties and allows for the solution of equations involving that matrix.

Why is it important to have linearly independent columns when proving invertibility?

Having linearly independent columns in A^TA is important because it ensures that the matrix is full rank, meaning that its columns span the entire space. This is necessary for the matrix to have an inverse, as a matrix with linearly dependent columns cannot have an inverse.

How do you prove that A^TA has linearly independent columns?

To prove that A^TA has linearly independent columns, you can use the determinant test. If the determinant of A^TA is non-zero, then the columns are linearly independent. Another method is to use the rank-nullity theorem, which states that the rank of a matrix is equal to the number of non-zero eigenvalues.

What are the implications of proving invertibility of A^TA?

Proving invertibility of A^TA has many implications in linear algebra. It allows for the solution of equations involving that matrix, and also shows that the matrix has many useful properties such as being orthogonal and having a unique solution to the equation Ax = b. It is also used in various applications, such as data compression and image processing.

Can A^TA still be invertible if it has linearly dependent columns?

No, A^TA cannot be invertible if it has linearly dependent columns. This is because a matrix with linearly dependent columns will have a determinant of 0, meaning it does not have an inverse. However, it is possible for A^TA to be invertible even if A does not have linearly independent columns, as long as the columns of A^TA are linearly independent.