Proving Lagrange's Theorem for Finite Groups with Proper Subgroups

In summary, Lagrange's Theorem proves that if G is a finite group, then there is a finite subgroup in G whose order divides that of G's. The Attempt at a Solution states that if we say that {(a_i)H | i = 1, ... , r } is the collection of distinct left cosets of H in G and {(b_j)K | j = 1, ... , s } is the collection of distinct left cosets of K in H. Then in order to conclude the proof I have to show that: {(a_i)(b_j)K | i = 1, ... , r; j = 1,...,s } is the collection
proplaya201

Homework Statement

suppose that H and K are subgroups of a group G such that K is a proper subgroup of H which is a proper subgroup of G and suppose (H : K) and (G : H) are both finite. Then (G : K) is finite, and (G : K) = (G : H)(H : K).
**that is to say that the proof must hold for infinite groups as well**
notation- (G : K) = |G|/|K| is the index of K in G

Homework Equations

Lagrange's Theorem - b/c G is finite implies that there is a finite subgroup in G (i.e. H) whose order divides that of G's.

**there is no mention that the group G in question is considered to be an abelian group.**

The Attempt at a Solution

if we say that {(a_i)H | i = 1, ... , r } is the collection of distinct left cosets of H in G and {(b_j)K | j = 1, ... , s } is the collection of distinct left cosets of K in H.

then in order to conclude the proof I have to show that:
{(a_i)(b_j)K | i = 1, ... , r; j = 1,...,s } is the collection of distinct left cosets of K in G.

i was not sure about a method of approach that came to me. so i was thinking of a few ways to solve it, but I am not sure of the right one if any of them are correct.

*1-that is (a_i)H is the number of distinct left cosets of H in G. so b/c |G| is finite then |G| must either be prime or not prime. if |G| is prime then let |G| = p and let |H| = m where m is an element of N so by Lagrange's Theorem we know that m divides p. and b/c p is prime then we know that m = p. but this is not true because H is a proper subset of G so p > m... then |G| must not be prime let |G| = y in that case then we can find an element "x" in the N where |H| = x such that x divides y and x < y.

im not sure if this is at all the correct way to approach it because i am having trouble relating this to the distinct cosets of H in G

i would really appreciate some help on the matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
So K is a subgroup of H which means that order(K) is an integer that divides order(H). That is If h= order(H) and k= order(K), h= nk for some integer n. But order(H) is an integer that divides order(G) so if g= order(G), g= mh for some integer m. Now write g in terms of k.

|G| = g = mh = m(nk) = (mn)k. so that makes sense, but how do you relate that to the left cosets of K in G. or in other words, how do you relate that to the index of K in G. so does it suffice to state that a coset in H partitions H into |G| subsets? I am just having difficulty seeing the connection of the order of the groups to the distinct left cosets.

Related to Proving Lagrange's Theorem for Finite Groups with Proper Subgroups

1. What is Lagrange's Theorem?

Lagrange's theorem, also known as the first isomorphism theorem, is a fundamental result in group theory. It states that the order of a subgroup must divide the order of the parent group. In other words, if a subgroup has N elements, the parent group must have a multiple of N elements.

2. How do cosets relate to Lagrange's Theorem?

Cosets are used in the proof of Lagrange's theorem. They are subsets of a group that contain elements that are related by a specific subgroup. By using cosets, we can show that the order of a subgroup must divide the order of the parent group.

3. What is the significance of indices in group theory?

Indices are used to describe the relationship between subgroups and their parent group. The index of a subgroup is the number of cosets that it contains within the parent group. In group theory, indices can help us determine the structure and properties of a group.

4. Can Lagrange's Theorem be applied to all groups?

Lagrange's theorem is only applicable to finite groups. It does not hold for infinite groups, as the concept of order does not apply to infinite sets. However, there are other theorems and concepts in group theory that can be used to study infinite groups.

5. How can Lagrange's Theorem be used in practical applications?

Lagrange's theorem is a powerful tool in group theory and is used in various applications, such as cryptography and coding theory. It can also be used to analyze the structure and properties of molecules in chemistry and to study the symmetry of crystals in physics.