Proving ##\partial^{i} = g^{ik} \partial_{k}##

In summary: The covariant coordinate 4-vector ##x_{\alpha}## can be obtained from the contravariant ##x^{\beta}## by contraction with ##g_{\alpha\beta}##, that is,$$x_{\alpha} = g_{\alpha\beta} x^{\beta}$$and its inverse,$$x^{\alpha} = g^{\alpha\beta}x_{\beta}$$In other words, ##x^i## can be treated as components of a (contravariant) coordinate vector, can't they?
SplinterCell
Let ##\varphi## be some scalar field. In "The Classical Theory of Fields" by Landau it is claimed that
$$
\frac{\partial\varphi}{\partial x_i} = g^{ik} \frac{\partial \varphi}{\partial x^k}
$$
I wanted to prove this identity. Using the chain rule
$$
\frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}=\frac{\partial x^{k}}{\partial x_{i}}\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{k}}
$$
Differentiating ##x^{k}=g^{ik}x_{i}## with respect to ##x_i## yields
$$
\frac{\partial x^{k}}{\partial x_{i}}=g^{ik} \tag{*}
$$
which seems to prove the identity (?). However I'm not sure about the validity of the last step, especially because ##(*)## isn't mentioned in the relevant literature (either because it's too trivial or/and not useful or because it's wrong). I've only seen the metric tensor expressed as
$$
g_{ik}=\frac{\partial x^{l}}{\partial x^{\prime i}}\frac{\partial x^{l}}{\partial x^{\prime k}}
$$
where the primed coordinates refer to a different coordinate system we're transforming to.

Physics news on Phys.org
I intepret it by applying formula
[tex]A^i=g^{ij}A_j[/tex]
for ##A^i=dx^i##
[tex]dx^i=g^{ij}dx_j[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x_k}=g^{ik}[/tex]
where partial derivatives are taken in condition that all the ohter components ##x_j## than ##x_k## do not change.

Last edited:
SplinterCell said:
Let ##\varphi## be some scalar field. In "The Classical Theory of Fields" by Landau it is claimed that
$$
\frac{\partial\varphi}{\partial x_i} = g^{ik} \frac{\partial \varphi}{\partial x^k}
$$
I wanted to prove this identity. Using the chain rule
$$
\frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}}=\frac{\partial x^{k}}{\partial x_{i}}\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{k}}
$$
Differentiating ##x^{k}=g^{ik}x_{i}## with respect to ##x_i## yields
$$
\frac{\partial x^{k}}{\partial x_{i}}=g^{ik} \tag{*}
$$
which seems to prove the identity (?). However I'm not sure about the validity of the last step, especially because ##(*)## isn't mentioned in the relevant literature (either because it's too trivial or/and not useful or because it's wrong). I've only seen the metric tensor expressed as
$$
g_{ik}=\frac{\partial x^{l}}{\partial x^{\prime i}}\frac{\partial x^{l}}{\partial x^{\prime k}}
$$
where the primed coordinates refer to a different coordinate system we're transforming to.
There are a couple of conceptual issues here. First, the ##x^i## are the coordinates. They are not the components of a vector. Something like ##x^{k}=g^{ik}x_{i}## doesn't make sense.

We can, however, identify the "differentials" ##dx^i## as a set of basis one-forms; and ##dx_i## as a set of basis vectors. This is quite tricky to do formally, I recall.

The second issue, therefore, is what is meant by ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}##? As we have already noted that ##x_i## are not coordinates.

To resolve this we first note that the gradient of a scalar is a covector: $$\frac{\partial \varphi}{\partial x^i} = A_i$$This can be proved by considering the gradient under a coordinate transformation. There must, therefore, be a corresponding vector with components: $$A^i = g^{ij}A_j = g^{ij}\frac{\partial \varphi}{\partial x^j}$$We can identify ##A^i## with ##\frac{\partial \varphi}{\partial x_i}## in some sense. And, again, formalising this rigorously in terms of vectors and one-forms is quite tricky.

In short, you can't prove it simply using the chain rule because the ##x_i## need to be defined first - and that takes you into more advanced differential geometry. The simplest approach, I suggest, is to take the following as a definition of the differential operator ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}##: $$\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \equiv \partial^i \equiv g^{ij}\partial_j \equiv g^{ij}\frac{\partial}{\partial x^j}$$

PeroK said:
There are a couple of conceptual issues here. First, the ##x^i## are the coordinates. They are not the components of a vector. Something like ##x^{k}=g^{ik}x_{i}## doesn't make sense.
In "Classical Electrodynamics" by Jackson he writes (p. 542):
The covariant coordinate 4-vector ##x_{\alpha}## can be obtained from the contravariant ##x^{\beta}## by contraction with ##g_{\alpha\beta}##, that is,
$$
x_{\alpha} = g_{\alpha\beta} x^{\beta}
$$
and its inverse,
$$
x^{\alpha} = g^{\alpha\beta}x_{\beta}
$$
In other words, ##x^i## can be treated as components of a (contravariant) coordinate vector, can't they?

Landau & Lifshitz also define ##x^i## and ##x_i## this way. In particular, they write
$$
x^{i}=\left(ct,\mathbf{r}\right),\quad x_{i}=\left(ct,-\mathbf{r}\right),\quad x^{i}x_{i}=c^{2}t^{2}-\mathbf{r}^{2}
$$
(where they use the signature ##(+,-,-,-)## which is common in special relativity).

Last edited:
I do not have Jackson but assume that he says about SR where metric tensor components are constants and not functions of coordinates as they are in GR.
[tex]dx_i = g_{ik} dx^k[/tex]
is integrated in SR as
[tex]\int dx_i = \int g_{ik} dx^k=g_{ik} \int dx^k[/tex]
to be
[tex]x_i = g_{ik} x^k[/tex]

SplinterCell said:
In "Classical Electrodynamics" by Jackson he writes (p. 542):

In other words, ##x^i## can be treated as components of a (contravariant) coordinate vector, can't they?
You have to be careful. In flat spacetime you have a position vector, whose components are often denoted by ##x^{\alpha}##. But, in curved spacetime, vectors are local objects, defined (in the tangent space) at each point in spacetime. There's no generalisation to the coordinates themselves being the components of a (position) vector.

SplinterCell said:
Landau & Lifshitz also define ##x^i## and ##x_i## this way. In particular, they write
$$
x^{i}=\left(ct,\mathbf{r}\right),\quad x_{i}=\left(ct,-\mathbf{r}\right),\quad x^{i}x_{i}=c^{2}t^{2}-\mathbf{r}^{2}
$$
(where they use the signature ##(+,-,-,-)## which is common in special relativity).
In your OP, are you assuming ##g^{ij} = \eta^{ij}##?

PeroK said:
In your OP, are you assuming ##g^{ij} = \eta^{ij}##?
Indeed, the context here is special relativity, i.e. flat spacetime with Minkowski metric.
PeroK said:
You have to be careful. In flat spacetime you have a position vector, whose components are often denoted by ##x^{\alpha}##. But, in curved spacetime, vectors are local objects, defined (in the tangent space) at each point in spacetime. There's no generalisation to the coordinates themselves being the components of a (position) vector.
Ok, didn't know that (haven't studied general relativity yet). So does this mean that ##x^{k}=g^{ik}x_{i}
## can make sense, but only if the spacetime is flat (like @anuttarasammyak showed)?

SplinterCell said:
Indeed, the context here is special relativity, i.e. flat spacetime with Minkowski metric.

Ok, didn't know that (haven't studied general relativity yet). So does this mean that ##x^{k}=g^{ik}x_{i}
## can make sense, but only if the spacetime is flat (like @anuttarasammyak showed)?
A position vector only makes sense in flat spacetime. That equation is only valid for the Minkowski metric - or, perhaps more generally, when ##g^{ij}## is independent of the coordinates.

You could try out that identity in the case of spherical coordinates (in flat spacetime) and see what you get.

1. What is the meaning of ##\partial^{i}## and ##\partial_{k}## in the equation ##\partial^{i} = g^{ik} \partial_{k}##?

The symbol ##\partial^{i}## represents the contravariant derivative, while ##\partial_{k}## represents the covariant derivative. In simple terms, they are mathematical operators used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to its coordinates.

2. Why is it important to prove ##\partial^{i} = g^{ik} \partial_{k}##?

This equation is a fundamental concept in differential geometry and is used in various fields of physics, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics. Proving it allows for a better understanding of the relationship between contravariant and covariant derivatives, and their role in these fields.

3. How is the equation ##\partial^{i} = g^{ik} \partial_{k}## derived?

The equation is derived from the metric tensor, which is a mathematical object used to define the distance between points in a curved space. By using the metric tensor, the covariant and contravariant derivatives can be related, resulting in the equation ##\partial^{i} = g^{ik} \partial_{k}##.

4. Can you provide an example of how this equation is used in physics?

One example is in general relativity, where the metric tensor is used to describe the curvature of spacetime. The equation ##\partial^{i} = g^{ik} \partial_{k}## is used to calculate the geodesic equation, which describes the motion of particles in a curved spacetime.

5. Are there any limitations to the equation ##\partial^{i} = g^{ik} \partial_{k}##?

While this equation is a useful tool in many areas of physics, it does have limitations. It is only valid in a curved space described by a metric tensor and cannot be applied to flat spaces. Additionally, it does not take into account quantum effects, which play a significant role in some physical phenomena.