Proving Simple Theorem: Homework Statement, Equations, and Attempt at Solution

• Thread starter ainster31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation is about a counter-example given for a problem where the statement -1 < -3/2 < -2 must be proven. The conversation concludes that the given counter-example is not valid because it does not follow the rule a < b, where a is to the left of b on a number line.
ainster31

Homework Statement

Pz3gG0Y.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$Counter-example:\quad let\quad a=-1\quad and\quad b=-2.\\ \\ -1\quad <\quad \frac { -3 }{ 2 } <-2$$

I have to prove it but it seems like the question is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
ainster31 said:

Homework Statement

Pz3gG0Y.png

Homework Equations

$$Counter-example:\quad let\quad a=-1\quad and\quad b=-2.\\ \\ -1\quad <\quad \frac { -3 }{ 2 } <-2$$

You need a<b. -1 isn't less than -2.

Likes 1 person
ainster31 said:

Homework Statement

Pz3gG0Y.png

Homework Equations

If you draw a number line, with positive numbers on the right and negative numbers on the left, the statement a < b means that 'a' lies to the left of 'b' on the number line. Is that the case for your 'a' and 'b'?

1. What is a simple theorem?

A simple theorem is a mathematical statement that has been proven to be true using logical reasoning and previously established principles or theorems.

2. What is the purpose of including a homework statement in a proof?

The homework statement provides context for the theorem and specifies the problem that needs to be solved. This helps the reader understand the relevance of the theorem and how it is applied.

3. Why are equations important in proving a theorem?

Equations are used to represent the relationships between different mathematical quantities in a concise and precise manner. In a proof, equations are essential in showing the logical steps and reasoning used to arrive at a solution.

4. What should be included in the "attempt at solution" section of a proof?

The attempt at solution should include the steps and thought process used to solve the problem, including any relevant equations, assumptions, or strategies. This section helps the reader understand the logic behind the solution and identify any errors.

5. How can I improve my skills in proving simple theorems?

Practicing regularly, familiarizing yourself with basic mathematical principles and theorems, and seeking feedback from others can all help improve your skills in proving simple theorems. It's also important to carefully read and understand the given statement and try to approach the problem from different angles.