Proving the Convergence of Subsequential Limits: Solving for lim sup and lim inf

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the limit supremum and limit infimum of a bounded sequence are elements of the set of all limits of convergent subsequences. The suggestion given is to construct a subsequence that converges to the limit supremum, considering different cases. The speaker is having trouble with this and is asking for suggestions.
Conlan2218

Homework Statement

I missed the last class and I guess our teacher solved this problem and said it would be on our next quiz and I do not really understand how to do it.

Prove that

(i) lim sup sn is an element of SL(sn)
n to infinity

(ii) same thing but replace the sup with inf

Homework Equations

Homework Equations

lim sup:= limit supremum
lim inf:= limit infimum

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that it wants me to prove that the limit supremum of a sn is an element of the set of all limits of all convergent subsequences of the sequence sn. It makes sense that the sup and inf of the sequence would be would be elements of the set of all convergent subsequences because in order to have convergent subsequences the original sequence must be bounded. Thus, bounds would seem to be elements of the convergent, bounded subsequences.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try constructing a subsequence which converges to the limit supremum of a bounded sequence? You might need to consider a couple of cases, but it seems like it should be pretty straight forward.

I am having trouble showing that there must be a subsequence that converges to the sup any suggestions?

Related to Proving the Convergence of Subsequential Limits: Solving for lim sup and lim inf

1. What are subsequential limits?

Subsequential limits are the values that a sequence approaches as it goes to infinity. These values may or may not be part of the sequence itself.

2. How do you find subsequential limits?

To find subsequential limits, you can take a subsequence of the original sequence and see what values it approaches as it goes to infinity. This process may need to be repeated multiple times to find all possible subsequential limits.

3. What is the relationship between subsequential limits and the limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is the value that the sequence approaches as it goes to infinity. Subsequential limits are the values that a subsequence of the original sequence approaches as it goes to infinity. If a sequence has a limit, then all subsequential limits will also equal that limit.

4. Can a sequence have more than one subsequential limit?

Yes, a sequence can have more than one subsequential limit. This means that the sequence is not convergent and does not have a limit.

5. How is the concept of subsequential limits used in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, subsequential limits are used in various mathematical models and simulations. They can help predict the long-term behavior of a system and identify patterns or trends in data.