Proving the Pauli Matrix Identity with Ordinary Vectors: A Simplified Approach

In summary, the author tries to show that the product of the three 2 X 2 Pauli spin matrices is equal to the product of the two vectors inputted. However, because of different matrix ranks, they are unable to multiply out the equation.
ognik
I'm not sure I have the right approach here:

Using the three 2 X 2 Pauli spin matrices, let $ \vec{\sigma} = \hat{x} \sigma_1 + \hat{y} \sigma_2 +\hat{z} \sigma_3 $ and $\vec{a}, \vec{b}$ are ordinary vectors,

Show that $ \left( \vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{a} \right) \left( \vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{b} \right) = \vec{a} \cdot \vec{b} I_2 + i \sigma \cdot \left( \vec{a} \times \vec{b}\right)$

I'm not sure how to go about this - the $i$ in the last term suggests to me that I have to laboriously multiply both sides ...

But the Pauli matrices are 2 X 2 , ex. $ \sigma_1 = \begin{bmatrix}0&1\\ 1&0\end{bmatrix}$ and $\vec{\sigma}$ appears to be Cartesian 3-D.

So I tried $ \vec\sigma \cdot \vec{a} = \hat{x} \sigma_1 \cdot \vec{a} + ... = \begin{bmatrix}1\\ 0 \\ 0 \end {bmatrix} \left( \begin{bmatrix}0&1\\1&0\end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix}a_1\\ a_2 \end {bmatrix} \right) + ...$

Not possible to multiply out like this, so keep the unit vectors as $\hat{x}$ etc. ...

I then get $ \vec\sigma \cdot \vec{a} = \hat{x} \begin{bmatrix}a_2 \\ a_1 \end {bmatrix} +\hat{y} \begin{bmatrix} -a_2\\ a_1 \end {bmatrix} +\hat{z} \begin{bmatrix}a_1\\ -a_2 \end {bmatrix} $ and for $\vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{b}$ a very similar eqtn by symmetry.

But again I won't be able to multiply out $ \left( \vec\sigma \cdot \vec{a} \right) \left( \vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{b} \right) $ because of different matrix ranks? Must be a better way to do this (one that also works :-))

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
I'm not sure I have the right approach here:

Using the three 2 X 2 Pauli spin matrices, let $ \vec{\sigma} = \hat{x} \sigma_1 + \hat{y} \sigma_2 +\hat{z} \sigma_3 $ and $\vec{a}, \vec{b}$ are ordinary vectors,

Show that $ \left( \vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{a} \right) \left( \vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{b} \right) = \vec{a} \cdot \vec{b} I_2 + i \sigma \cdot \left( \vec{a} \times \vec{b}\right)$

I'm not sure how to go about this - the $i$ in the last term suggests to me that I have to laboriously multiply both sides ...

But the Pauli matrices are 2 X 2 , ex. $ \sigma_1 = \begin{bmatrix}0&1\\ 1&0\end{bmatrix}$ and $\vec{\sigma}$ appears to be Cartesian 3-D.

So I tried $ \vec\sigma \cdot \vec{a} = \hat{x} \sigma_1 \cdot \vec{a} + ... = \begin{bmatrix}1\\ 0 \\ 0 \end {bmatrix} \left( \begin{bmatrix}0&1\\1&0\end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix}a_1\\ a_2 \end {bmatrix} \right) + ...$

Not possible to multiply out like this, so keep the unit vectors as $\hat{x}$ etc. ...

I then get $ \vec\sigma \cdot \vec{a} = \hat{x} \begin{bmatrix}a_2 \\ a_1 \end {bmatrix} +\hat{y} \begin{bmatrix} -a_2\\ a_1 \end {bmatrix} +\hat{z} \begin{bmatrix}a_1\\ -a_2 \end {bmatrix} $ and for $\vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{b}$ a very similar eqtn by symmetry.

But again I won't be able to multiply out $ \left( \vec\sigma \cdot \vec{a} \right) \left( \vec{\sigma} \cdot \vec{b} \right) $ because of different matrix ranks? Must be a better way to do this (one that also works :-))
To start with you need to figure out what \(\displaystyle \vec{ \sigma } \cdot \vec{a}\) is. \(\displaystyle \vec{\sigma} = \sigma _x ~ \hat{x} + \sigma _y ~ \hat{y} + \sigma _z ~ \hat{z}\). This is a "vector" of matrices. You are "dotting" it with a 3-vector \(\displaystyle < a_x,~a_y,~a_z >\). So:
\(\displaystyle \vec{ \sigma } \cdot \vec{a} = \sigma _x ~ a_x + \sigma _y ~ a_y + \sigma _z ~ a_z = \left ( \begin{matrix} a_z & a_x - i~a_y \\ a_x + i~a_y & -a_z \end{matrix} \right )\)

Can you take it from here? (I'd give you a really cool and elegant method but I don't have any tricks for this one.)

-Dan

Yup thanks, once you pointed out they were a vector. I really need to find a way to notice that sort of thing!

Got a sore hand now :-)

What is the Pauli Matrix identity?

The Pauli Matrix identity is a mathematical statement that describes the relationship between the three Pauli matrices: X, Y, and Z. It states that the product of any two distinct Pauli matrices is equal to the third matrix multiplied by the imaginary unit i.

Why is the Pauli Matrix identity important in quantum mechanics?

The Pauli Matrix identity is important in quantum mechanics because it is used to represent the spin states of particles. These matrices are also used in the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

Can you explain the significance of the imaginary unit i in the Pauli Matrix identity?

The imaginary unit i in the Pauli Matrix identity represents the concept of spin in quantum mechanics. It is used to describe the direction and magnitude of a particle's spin, which is a fundamental property of particles in the quantum world.

How is the Pauli Matrix identity derived?

The Pauli Matrix identity is derived using the properties of the Pauli matrices and the rules of matrix algebra. It can also be derived using the commutation relations between the matrices.

What are the applications of the Pauli Matrix identity?

The Pauli Matrix identity has various applications in quantum mechanics, including the computation of spin states, the representation of quantum gates in quantum computing, and the construction of quantum error-correcting codes.