Proving the Relationship between Complex Numbers and Trigonometric Functions

In summary, a complex number is a number that includes both a real and an imaginary part, usually written in the form of a + bi. To prove a complex number, one must demonstrate that it can be written in this form, follows the rules of addition and multiplication, and has a conjugate. The properties of a complex number also include its ability to be plotted on a complex plane. The purpose of proving a complex number is to ensure its validity and accuracy in calculations. While all numbers can technically be written as complex numbers, not all have practical applications in this system.
loy

Homework Statement

Given that, x+yi=3/[2+cos θ+i(sin θ)] , prove that x^2+y^2=4x-3

Homework Equations

r^2=x^2+y^2

The Attempt at a Solution

since we know that x=r sinθ , y=r cosθ,
i multiply r on the right hand side to equal 3r/[2r+x+yi], then multiply its comjugate (2r+x)-yi to equal (3rx+6r^2 -3ryi) / [(2r+x)^2 + y^2] . then i equal the imaginary part on left handside, yi= -3ryi/[(2r+x)^2 + y^2],
(2r+x)^2 + y^2 = -3r,
4r^2+x^2+ 4rx +y^2 = -3r, from the Relevant equations,
5r^2+4rx= -3r ,divide both sides by r
5r=-4x-3,
r=-(4x+3)/5,
x^2+y^2= [-(4x+3)/5]^2, until here, i don't know how to proceed the question... anyone can help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
loy said:

Homework Statement

Given that, x+yi=3/[2+cos θ+i(sin θ)] , prove that x^2+y^2=4x-3

Homework Equations

r^2=x^2+y^2

The Attempt at a Solution

since we know that x=r sinθ , y=r cosθ,
We know that if θ is the angle the line from 0 to x+ yi makes with the positive real axis. Is that given? You don't mention it in the statement of the problem.

If that is true then the right side is simply 3/(2+ x+ iy) and it would seem reasonable to multiply both sides by 2+ x+ iy giving (x+ iy)(2+ x+ iy)= 2x+ 2iy+ x^2+ ixy+ ixy- y^2= 3. That is NOT, in general, x^2+ y^2= 4x- 3.
i multiply r on the right hand side to equal 3r/[2r+x+yi], then multiply its comjugate (2r+x)-yi to equal (3rx+6r^2 -3ryi) / [(2r+x)^2 + y^2] . then i equal the imaginary part on left handside, yi= -3ryi/[(2r+x)^2 + y^2],
(2r+x)^2 + y^2 = -3r,
4r^2+x^2+ 4rx +y^2 = -3r, from the Relevant equations,
5r^2+4rx= -3r ,divide both sides by r
5r=-4x-3,
r=-(4x+3)/5,
x^2+y^2= [-(4x+3)/5]^2, until here, i don't know how to proceed the question... anyone can help me?

not given , my lecturer just gave me the question as I've written above.
So, what should I assume?

loy said:
not given , my lecturer just gave me the question as I've written above.
So, what should I assume?
But you did assume that x=r sinθ and y=r cosθ , so what Halls said about θ is true.

An alternate way to solve this problem, with no assumptions is to rationalize the denominator of [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \frac{3}{2+\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)}\ \ [/itex] and identify x and y by equating real parts and equating imaginary parts.

Then compare x2 + y2 with 4x-3 .

how to do equating the parts? they are cos and sin there.

loy said:
how to do equating the parts? they are cos and sin there.
Rationalize the denominator of [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \frac{3}{2+\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)}\ \ [/itex] to determine what is the real part and what is the imaginary part.

Since that's equal to x + iy, then you have x is equal to the real part, and y is equal to the imaginary part.

you mean multiply the conjugate of 2+cos(θ)+isin(θ) in order to find the x and y?

loy said:
you mean multiply the conjugate of 2+cos(θ)+isin(θ) in order to find the x and y?
Just so there's no misinterpretation, I mean:

Multiply [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \frac{3}{2+\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)}\ \ [/itex] by [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \frac{2+\cos(\theta)-i\sin(\theta)}{2+\cos(\theta)-i\sin(\theta)}\ \ [/itex] in order to find the x and y .

thanks dude , i found the answer!

hey

I could not get the solution

I multiply and divide the RHS with its conjugate 2+cos∅-isin∅ which arrives at
6+3cos∅+isin∅ 6+3cos∅+isin∅
-------------------- = ---------------------------
(2+cos∅)^2 +sin^2∅ 4+4cos∅+cos^2∅+sin^2∅

How to equate the LHS

foufou said:
hey

I could not get the solution

I multiply and divide the RHS with its conjugate 2+cos∅-isin∅ which arrives at
6+3cos∅+isin∅ 6+3cos∅+isin∅
-------------------- = ---------------------------
(2+cos∅)^2 +sin^2∅ 4+4cos∅+cos^2∅+sin^2∅

How to equate the LHS
Use [ code] [ /code] tags to write such fractions.

Code:
    6+3cosθ+isinθ                         6+3cosθ+isinθ
--------------------          =          ---------------------------
(2+cosθ)^2 +sin^2∅                      4+4cosθ+cos^2θ+sin^2θ

Don't forget, sin2(θ) + cos2(θ) = 1 .

yeah i know sin2(θ) + cos2(θ) = 1 .

but even then I'm stuck, can u help me further

It should be 6 + 3 Cosθ - i 3 Sinθ.
3 is missing in i SinθAnyway, I kept getting 9 / (5+4Cosθ) for (x + iy)(x - iy)

Last edited:
the solution is like this
3/[2+cos θ+i(sin θ)]
= [3(2+Cosθ)- 3 Sinθ i] / [(2+cos θ)^2 + (sin θ)^2]

So, from LHS, we get
x=3(2+Cosθ)/ [(2+cos θ)^2 + (sin θ)^2] while
y=3 Sinθ/ [(2+cos θ)^2 + (sin θ)^2]

On LHS: x^2+y^2
=[9(2+Cosθ)^2+9Sinθ^2]/ [(2+cos θ)^2 + (sin θ)^2]^2
=9/[(2+cos θ)^2 + (sin θ)^2]
since the denominator and numerator has a common factor (2+cos θ)^2 + (sin θ)^2

On RHS: 4x-3
= 4*{3(2+Cosθ)/ [(2+cos θ)^2 + (sin θ)^2]} - 3
={24 + 12cosθ-3[(2+cos θ)^2 + (sin θ)^2]}/[(2+cos θ)^2 + (sin θ)^2]
={24+12cosθ-12-12cosθ-3cos2(θ)-3sin2(θ)}/[(2+cos θ)^2 + (sin θ)^2]
={24+12cosθ-12-12cosθ-3*(sin2(θ) + cos2(θ))}/[(2+cos θ)^2 + (sin θ)^2]
=9/[(2+cos θ)^2 + (sin θ)^2]

which is equal to the LHS
It is proven.

Head bang.

It did not strike that I can use L.H.S = R.H.S.

I tried to get 4x-3 from x^2 + y^2.
x^2+y^2 can be derived from (x + iy)(x-iy), then tried to simplify the x^2+y^2 to 4x-3.

Thank you very much Loy! Good day

Last edited:
welcome dude !

Related to Proving the Relationship between Complex Numbers and Trigonometric Functions

What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that is composed of a real number and an imaginary number. It is usually written in the form of a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

How do you prove a complex number?

To prove a complex number, you need to show that it satisfies the properties of a complex number. This includes showing that it can be written in the form of a + bi, that it follows the rules of addition and multiplication, and that it has a conjugate. Additionally, you may need to use algebraic manipulations to show that a complex number is equal to another complex number.

What are the properties of a complex number?

The properties of a complex number include the ability to be written in the form of a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. Complex numbers also follow the rules of addition and multiplication, have a conjugate, and can be plotted on a complex plane.

What is the purpose of proving a complex number?

The purpose of proving a complex number is to ensure that it is a valid mathematical object that follows the rules and properties of complex numbers. Proving a complex number can also help to clarify any misunderstandings and ensure that calculations involving complex numbers are accurate.

Can all numbers be written as complex numbers?

Yes, all numbers can be written as complex numbers. This is because complex numbers include both real and imaginary numbers, and all real numbers can be represented as a complex number with a 0 imaginary part. However, not all numbers have a practical application in the complex number system, such as negative square roots.