Proving two statements are the same (with words).

• Thread starter angela107
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks if ##(\sqrt{x})^2## and ##\sqrt{x^2}## are always equal for all real numbers x. While technically true, it is important to consider the domain of the function. ##\sqrt{x}## is only defined for nonnegative ##x##, whereas ##\sqrt{x^2}## is defined for all ##x##. The two expressions are equal where they are both defined. The reader may need further clarification to fully understand the solution.
angela107
Homework Statement
Are ##(\sqrt{x})^2## and ##\sqrt{x^2}## always equal for all real numbers x?
Relevant Equations
n/a
As the question asks, I believe this statement is true. At least, technically. It is important to consider the domain of the function. Yes, ##sqrt(x)^2 = x##, but ##sqrt(x)## is only defined for nonnegative ##x##, whereas ##sqrt(x^2)## is defined for all ##x##, since ##x^2## is always nonnegative. The two functions are actually equal where they are both defined.

My question is, have my justified my solution well enough for a reader to understand what I'm saying?

Physics news on Phys.org
angela107 said:
Homework Statement:: Are ##(\sqrt{x})^2## and ##\sqrt{x^2}## always equal for all real numbers x?
Relevant Equations:: n/a

As the question asks, I believe this statement is true. At least, technically. It is important to consider the domain of the function. Yes, ##sqrt(x)^2 = x##, but ##sqrt(x)## is only defined for nonnegative ##x##, whereas ##sqrt(x^2)## is defined for all ##x##, since ##x^2## is always nonnegative. The two functions are actually equal where they are both defined.

My question is, have my justified my solution well enough for a reader to understand what I'm saying?
First off, those are expressions, not statements.
The question asks whether ##(\sqrt{x})^2## and ##\sqrt{x^2}## are always equal for all real numbers x.
Are the two expressions equal for, say, x = 1?

Keep in mind that where both expressions are defined is not necessarily all real numbers.

What does it mean to "prove two statements are the same"?

Proving two statements are the same means showing that they are equivalent in meaning and cannot be distinguished from one another. This involves demonstrating that they have the same logical structure and convey the same information.

How can I prove two statements are the same?

There are several methods for proving two statements are the same, including direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction. These methods involve using logical reasoning and evidence to show that the two statements are equivalent.

What is the importance of proving two statements are the same?

Proving two statements are the same is important in many fields, including mathematics, science, and philosophy. It allows us to establish the validity and consistency of our arguments and theories, and can lead to a deeper understanding of complex concepts.

Can two statements be different but still mean the same thing?

Yes, two statements can have different wording or structure but still convey the same meaning. This is known as semantic equivalence, and it is important to consider when trying to prove two statements are the same.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when trying to prove two statements are the same?

One common mistake is assuming that two statements are the same without providing sufficient evidence. It is also important to be aware of potential biases and logical fallacies that may affect the validity of the proof. Additionally, it is important to carefully analyze the statements and consider all possible interpretations before attempting to prove their equivalence.