Proving Vector Space of F[x]/(g(x)) with Degree n

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
johnson123
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Show that F[x]/( g(x) ) is a n-dimensional vector space. where g is in F[x],
and g has degree n.

Its clear that F[x]/( g(x) ) is a vector space and that

B= (1,[tex]x^{2}[/tex],...,[tex]x^{n-1}[/tex]) spans F[x]/( g(x) ),

but I am having trouble showing that B is linearly independent

I realize this is pretty much a HW problem and it should be in the HW section, but I
read a post from one of the pf mentors noting that for gradlevel/seniorlevel problems
you might have a chance at a response from the non homework sections. thanks for any suggestions.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what happens if they are linearly dependent, so that a nontrivial linear combination of them is equal to zero in F[x] / (g(x))?
 
It's not clear that you have tied B to either F[x] or g(x). First relate B to F and g. Assume for the moment that I am not the person who doesn't have the answer.